Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

pretty much all this. russ going to the bench and not complaining--and being better there--changed the calculus for me quite a bit. the SA deal is a good example of something i'd have jumped at prior to the season and am no longer interested in doing. i'm even iffy on adding unprotected 1sts to the utah and charlotte type deals.

i have two responses here:

1. so he's going to retire? who's offering him over 10 million per and/or a starting role? mayyybe some bad team trying to sell tickets, but i don't know. most of them have young guards they want to develop instead.
    2. we can actually pay him quite a bit more and still accomplish what i was trying to outline above (use MLE, stay below tax). maybe we pay him 15-18 per to help soothe the ego. maybe we go up to 20. as long as it's a) not for multiple years and b) allows use of the full MLE, i'm ok with it.

but again, long way to go before all of this becomes concrete.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What's the most some other team is going to pay for him though to be a 6th man that it looks good to him to leave town again when now in this capacity, him bought in and being overall effective at it with the warts now overlooked by the goodwill it brought him .... and having his family come to games and hear him cheered for and often he's the guy blowing the roof off the place leading that 2nd team, now much deeper and better even than what he's running with now. That's got to be a great feeling for him staying in town for say the 10M salary. More commercials and more exposure for his businesses.

Probably would never compute in his head but god knows he owes us a terrific hometown 6th man deal for what he gave us last year at the ginormous salary plus this year too with it.

Gotta say @abeer3 's hypothetical above looks really good to me with keeping players we want on the team, plus getting our full MLE back, maybe a little extra salary to spend above vet min (not sure about that part if we retain Lonnie and Austin around those amounts) and not getting bent over for 2 first round picks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, my hypothetical requires good use of bevs/nunn in trade this year and some good will on lonnie's part. this is where our klutch connection is supposed to help us, though.

austin's salary could go up but not higher than the full MLE in year one due to his arenas contract situation. i just put that number there because it's about what eagle went for.

4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

LOL.. I think that Russell Westbrook is going to resign with the Lakers and finish his career in a Lakers uniform. Yeah..I said it here first!! The dude is still an elite facilitator and will be an important part of this team's success this season and next.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    You said it 2nd. Someone else said it first.

:Fishwink:

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

how do you know? you work for Rob?

Cookie likes this.
  7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Nope

8. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

If we don't trade him I'd be open to re-signing him to a bench role. I believe deep down he hasn't forgotten the boos and treatment he received last year and the beginning of this year. He's a very proud man so I believe he feels scape-goated and also their were numerous reports Lebron/Klutch wanted to trade him for Kyrie.

I believe he's gonna bounce somewhere else as pay back. I wouldn't even really blame him, it got ugly here and I HIGHLY doubt he's the type to forgive and forget.

Kenzo, svtzr and abeer3 like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Come on he deserved it, though yeah he would never acknowledge it. But now you can see how much he is enjoying the love of the crowd in his hometown and his family can come in and bask in that too. HAM sold him on what He and the Team would best benefit from.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i trust that the FO will feel him out before the deadline regarding what his future plans might be (i.e., how much money he'd want were he to stay on next year). that's assuming he's not moved before that.

11. NickthaQuick

He did deserve it. Everyone deserves criticism when they play below expectations, but I have the feeling he took that very personally and would love to stick it back to us. No better opportunity than he turns his play around and everyone loves him and wants him to stay. REVENGE

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i guess it's possible he'd forego a bunch of money and playing at home just get over on us. i'm willing to roll the dice there and guess cooler heads prevail.

i mean, by the same token, he could have opted out last year and left us in a similar position--not enough cap space to really use.

Cookie and NickthaQuick like this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so what makes you the expert to tell us what is or isnt happening?

14. NickthaQuick

I think it's because there was no way he'd get anything near 47 mil and leaving last year would have been a favor for us based on how he was perceived. Now he knows he's not getting any where close to 47 mil so it'll depend on how much other teams want to offer. I feel if the money is close elsewhere he would leave but that is just my personal belief based on nothing. We'll see how things play out.

abeer3 likes this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

for any 1 thinking Russ would a cheap contract, cp3 @36 got 100M extension

16. LTLakerFan

No one is signing Russ as a starter ever again in my opinion. 6th men don’t make that kind of money plus the “warts” we are aware of other teams are too.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so a 36 yr old cp3 isnt a fair comp to russ?

abeer3 likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

You didn’t take anything from the starter vs bench player and smart player vs too often not smart player? And historically not good shooting player in Russ?

[​IMG]

Pioneer10 likes this.
  19. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Russ will probably get in the 10-20m range for 3 years with a player option in year 3.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

thats open to interpretation, an aging star usually finds a way to get overpaid contracts