Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Dude, that's the Clippers. Why now? We're rusty as hell and not ready for them by any means. This team needs some time to get it together and LeBron like AD is going to have a lot of rust. In his brief time back he didn't even feel good enough to do one of his driving, spinning power moves to the basket. Probably will have to come to trust that ankle again.

2. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Because the Clippers are not a lock for the 3 seed and they could move up to 2 with how the Suns have slipped recently. They have @CHA, @ HOU and @THU while PHX has POR, @SAS, @SAS.

3. LTLakerFan

They'd probably tank and "arrange to meet us" in the first round if we were a lock in 6th. They know we're not ready and would be much more dangerous after gelling and getting our rhythm and chemistry going in a later round. Seems to me. I mean we could "hold" Steph to 50 if he was going off and suffocate the rest of their team, is my hope in that kind of situation with Steph.

4. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Blazers lost. Phoenix needed it.

Denver has nothing to play for, so I bet they tank Sunday and let Portland win.

And for some reason, I think we will lose to the Pacers, unless Bron plays to shake rust. Surprised the Blazers won last night.

But now, if Dallas wins out, they get 5 and Denver. Blazers get Clips!!! Yes!!!!

Cuban gets to avoid Clips and Laker til the WCF. That is very very lucky.

5. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Grizz won. So if they beat GS Sunday, we get Memphis in the 7-8 play in game.

Prefer Steph and GS or Ja and Memphis? Both have beaten good teams recently.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and Helljumper like this.
  6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    That’s a good question, I’ve been pondering it myself lately.

I think I actually like Memphis more as an overall team, especially with Jackson back. Morant is going to be special. Valanciunas is a legitimate interior presence, Brooks has been playing well, Kyle Anderson’s unorthodox pace tends to create some problems. But overall I don’t think they have the firepower to threaten us.

Golden State on the other hand, outside of Steph, their supporting cast is very lackluster in my view. I would have zero concerns against them in a 7 game series. But the problem is... they have Steph. And we wouldn’t play them in a 7 game series.

So at the end of the day, I’d have to say I prefer matching up with Memphis. You just never know with someone as great as Steph. He can put that team on his shoulders and find a way to win a game that they have no business being in, by hitting impossible shot after impossible shot.

But back to the optimism: After struggling with trying the math for the various seeding scenarios, I’ve realized that I don’t really care anymore. I’m back to a high level of confidence that (a) even with the play-in, we’re not going to miss the playoffs and (b) nobody in the West is beating us in a 7 game series as long as Lebron and AD can both suit up.

7. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

At least we get another crack at redemption as a 7 seed taking down the 2 seed Suns. Don’t let them sign Tim Thomas to a 10 day contract.

8. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Clips tanking!!! They want 4 and Mavs??

Will Denver actually win to get the 3 knowing that will draw us??? Or will they Tank to make sure the Lakers have the play in?

They have one game. If we beat the Pacers. Would Denver try to win just to draw us? Or tank to get the Mavs??? Wow.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  9. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Tim Thomas's picture would be next to the contract year player definition in the Dictionary of the NBA

Punk-101 likes this.
  10. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Clippers are scared of the Lakers.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

All teams are scared of the Lakers

IE Lakers, D-Fish Man, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  12. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Are Levert and Sabonis playing today?

Brogdon is out. I think.

Bron should play today. Get some lather. Not Ad. Dennis is playing, right?

13. LTLakerFan

When’s Dudz back?

:Javalebarfbag:

IE Lakers and Barnstable like this.
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully today and we'll run plays for him.

IE Lakers, Pioneer10 and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

This is a conditioning game. Get Dennis and Bron some minutes without too much expected on D and physicality. Like the first 8 games in the bubble last year.

Let AD sit.

If the Lakers lose today, Portland will control the seeding regardless of the other of tomorrow’s games. Simple really. Portland tanks to ensure the Nuggets win. Would Portland win to face the Clips? (I guess the Clips could tank again). Portland gets 6. Nugs 3. Clips 4. Mavs 5. Lakers win their play in and get a Suns (very young) and Nugs/Blazers path to Utah or Clips (and I think Utah beats the clips with a healthy Mitchell and Conley).

Lakers win today, and tomorrow gets silly with tanking by Clips, Nugs, and Mavs. Lol.

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

win the next two games, and hope Denver actually plays and beats the blazers. If that happens than it's Denver in the first and Phoenix in the second. Perfect scenario for the Lakers to get ramped up. Then, if the Clippers do not choke like they always have, the Lakers can wax them in the WCF.

However, I just do not see Denver playing to beat the Blazers. No way.

IE Lakers, Cookie, Barnstable and 3 others like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the scenario for sure. Not so sure about Denver playing hard or not v. Portland. Depends how scared they are of the Lakers I guess.

Kenzo and karacha like this.
  18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I know this is the optimism thread, but I'm very skeptical that even if we make it through the play-in and Lebron and AD are close to 100%, that we can just go from three of our main guys missing a bunch of games to full speed in a matter of a few days.

wcsoldier81 and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, we never really even found our rotations this year. trying to do it while winning playoff games is...rough.

on paper and in theory, we still have the best team, but a lot of our success last year was predicated on chemistry.

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. It's been months since this team has played together for more than a game or two. I would never bet against Lebron, but facing off against the Jazz or Suns (assuming we are in the play-in) feels nearly impossible, especially when there is no way Lebron is likely at 100%. I think he will be 85% at best by the time the playoffs come. 85% Lebron and nearly zero chemistry against a top 2 seed?

Edit: This is the optimism thread and I'm derailing it. So...THT is pretty dope!