Official Whine, Moan, Complain Thread 19/20-CLOSED "WE CHAMPS!"

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

:Laugh:

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and OX1947 like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

:Laugh::ADnaughty:

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and OX1947 like this.
  3. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

You know... when most of the board has start dates from 2014... and only a few from the following years... you guys might want to rethink your approach to newbies.

I don't mind people giving me a hard time by the way... I can both take it and dish it out... but you might want to set a goal to get more people to stay in 2020. Looks like you have a few people who joined this year... but some years looks like no one stayed. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll see more lurkers pop up but as of now, the majority seem to be holdovers from the old board.

4. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    He MIGHT be slightly better than average but he will never lead a team to a championship.

Great players usually show their stuff within a couple of years. Magic single handedly won a ring in his rookie year. You know the story I won't repeat it. Kobe didn't have any great results his first couple of years under Del Harris but he showed his potential and did beat the krap out of Del when he coached Dallas to make up for his poor coaching decision with Kobe. LOL. Guys that go on to be great show it more than Lonzo has. Lonzo is a decent player but I don't see him raising his level of play so high that he becomes a superstar. Now, BI is another thing, I think he might. The thing with him is, he needs to get on a team that has really good players. Maybe the Pelicans will become that team with Zion, but I am not so sure.

After everything the Lakers went through the last decade, one thing I came away believing is that you really can't win with that many young players, even if they are talented. Young players don't develop the skills they need to reach the next level when all they play against are other young players. You need a mix of vets and youth to make it work. Our team was so totally misguided in the past. We did not have a winning formula. Now we do, we need to be able to work in one or two youngsters at a time. Now it is Kuzma, in another year or two we will need to find another but past that the type of team we have now is what any team should be gunning for. Just talking about the age of the players, their experience and the types of games they play.

ElginTheGreat and gcclaker like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. It’s tough to win with young teams. Then you have to add in that we were questionable at best with developing young guys.

Now if we were talking DLO, Randle, Bryant and a few others I could go there with whether we got enough for those guys. Not so much with the AD trade.

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Set goals? This is a message board broseph, not a recovery course in how to better yourself in life.

8. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Yeah, saying "set goals" was corny and dumb.

But being more friendly to outsiders wasn't.

Unless you want to keep the place from growing... if that's the point then carry on.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think the board's personality of quality over quantity isn't a fit for everyone, but I don't see much here that prevents people from wanting to join.

If things were so bad, you wouldn't be here most likely.

Wino, SamsonMiodek, gcclaker and 2 others like this.
  10. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

This is a great point and it bothers me most about those lottery pick years. We got talented players in the draft, but our coaching staffs were actually trash, with an incompetent front office, and may have been the reason behind why the youth didn’t work out better.

You would think one of them could have worked out much better while they were here especially when practically all of them are working out to provide value to their current teams. The AD trade hit the reset button, and we kept Kuz who was the lowest pick, but imagine if one of those lottery youth were actually good enough to keep if they were better coached. Water under the bridge now.

11. OX1947

I'm not really a friendly guy. Place is growing fine. We do not want a jungle but we also don't want it to turn into a SJW page either.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Jaguar like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

problem was we never actually tried to build a competitive team. this is toxic for young players and why i don't like the "build through the draft" theory. it's great if you happen to hit on some young near insta-stars like okc did (or jordan's bulls did with him and pippen), but most of the time, you end up being sacramento. then you overcorrect (mozdeng, pretty much any vet sac signs ever) and make matters even worse.

but losing a lot early doesn't tend to build a winner later. we were right to pivot; we just did it a couple years too late. though i can't complain, as AD is better than anyone we could have reasonably ever gotten had we tried to move anyone earlier.

once again, thanks lebron and rich paul for keeping us from becoming the knicks.

13. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I think it's more some of your points seem outlandish - i.e. IT as someone we should consider trading for or BI having the potential to be equivalent to AD.
    I'm not a big Rondo guy as an example and people have disagreed with it. Don't think the disagreements have been antagonistic simply because the takes aren't taken to be somewhat trollish

abeer3 and gcclaker like this.
  14. OX1947

While tanking is needed in certain years to get in the top 3 of the draft in the NBA, the negative is you will build a loser mentality. If it was just one year like the Sperms in 97 and got lucky and got Duncan, that's fine. But when its 5 years straight, it will eventually take over the team and young players don't break it unless it's an all world talent.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  15. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Again, the IT for Kuzma was a throwaway comment when people were making suggestions for an offensive creator. I liked the old IT as a player, but all I did was make a suggestion. Then people kept laughing at it, perhaps rightfully so... bringing it up over and over so of course I responded. Thus, it became blown way out of proportion when it was nothing more than a bit of banter. Answer the question, which creator could we actually get in trade for Kuzma at the moment, and maybe what I said doesn't seem so silly. People were even suggesting signing Jamal Crawford on some boards and of course Melo which we should have done.

I have never said BI was the equivalent of AD... what I have said is that he has the chance to be offensively more skilled than AD. Never defensively.
    I also said BI plus Zo/Hart/ and one of (Hayes, Garland, Culver, Hunter, White) plus two future picks was steep.

When this group of assets scores 50 to 60 points... 20 rebounds...Zo had 11 assists the other night... I think there's a legitimate debate about an overpay... However, no... I'd never question a trade for AD for BI even up or even with a couple pieces. Big difference between that and saying he's equivalent.

I don't mind a group of friends who have built a community coming together and defending themselves and their board... in fact I'd expect that on any forum. Territoriality is a natural instinct. I've joined many boards over the years so even antagonistic comments don't faze me.

I simply meant that if I were sensitive... that cliquish behavior might be off putting for someone with thinner skin.

Why do you think so many lurk? They hate confrontation and people putting down their ideas.

You guys are fine... but personally I'd lay off the newbies if you want the board to grow.

16. sirronstuff

I think many lurk, and are looking for news and updates, but once they join, they say things like, "So and So always says what I was thinking, so I didn't feel the need to log in and say it."

So there's that. Lots of reasons people don't join. They don't NEED their voice to be heard, but are just looking for content and amazing Laker Emojis, etc.

17. LaVarBallsDad

Sirronstuff was a lurker

18. sirronstuff

Probably still does

SirJunkyBen and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I don't think so. His ex-wife took his manhood. He's not into sports anymore. Unicorns and rainbows now...

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.