Official Whine, Moan, Complain Thread 19/20-CLOSED "WE CHAMPS!"

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Call Mom she’s had it. Don’t know if she takes you back this time.

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I argue with @abeer3 all the time and even though he can be needlessly sarcastic, I like the way he engages with everyone and will like an opinion of one person yet argue with them the very next thread. I think he's mostly an asset.

The people I philosophically disagree with are those who want to block people or try to tell people what to say. Sure I bring up the same points but on the flip side I listen to everyone remind me of how we needed to give up those assets nearly every day if not here, on Twitter or reddit or any of the other sites I post on regularly.

Sports talk by definition is repetitive so I'm not sure how you want people to mix it up. Tonight Lonzo and Hart did well, so again it changes the fabric of the basketball time continuum. Tomorrow maybe Ingram breaks his leg, and then it changes it again... maybe AD dominates Giannis next head to head between them and then it changes things again. To anyone who isn't crazy about basketball, all of this discussion is white noise and boring.

In general, people like to hear things they agree with. If you are liberal you like listening to what Bernie has to say, if you are conservative maybe you like listening to what Trump has to say. If you hold the opposite opinions, usually they tend to grate. This is human nature.

All I said is that variety is the spice of life and the more varied opinions the better as far as I'm concerned.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my sarcasm is always necessary.

that is all.

4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

It's nothing serious or personal .

We all like the Lakers , we can disagree , be in a bad mood ( as I am grumpy for a while and the Rondo stuff is driving me NUTS, I can't help it ) and post s*** but I will never take it personal with a member .

This is why this forum is great and better than Twitter by instance , we don't take ourselves too seriously and don't think we know better than others

5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This is a problem though: when your at a particular site you're tilting at windmills if your trying to express your frustration from around the web. Particularly if it's in threads that are not particularly aligned with that.

6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I respect and appreciate this post. :Pwf:

7. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

The general consensus is that the trade was a good idea, but it's by no means unanimous. You have reactions ranging from we should have given up even more, to it was a fair deal, to we slightly overpaid, to we overpaid. I was in the minority... but at LG for example, polls would usually run about 2 to 1 against my opinion.

At the beginning of the season, people would constantly throw the Pelican's terrible record in my face... now that Zion has returned and they have righted the ship, this no longer is the case.

Lonzo was playing abysmally at the beginning of the year. Recently he's been averaging high assists as Gentry has let him take over more of the primary ballhandling duties from Jrue. Hart has played well all year. BI started out amazing... maybe slowing down a little but still very good.

We are looking at people like Waiters, JR, MKG, Marvin Williams to right the ship.

On one hand you have people telling me that the combined efforts of BI/Zo/Hart/#4 don't amount to much... and then on the other hand they are telling me that Marcus Morris would have saved us.

From the times of Galileo, if you dared challenging the accepted orthodoxy of a community, you'd be at best characterized as following quixotic delusion, at worst you'd be burned as a witch or at the stake by the Inquisition. It's what humans like to do with unpopular opinions.

Now, before you say anything... by no means am I calling myself a visionary in any way shape or form. I'm simply expressing an opinion that goes against the norm.

Many opinions that go against the norm are totally wrong. Probably more often than not.

But sometimes they are right... and the only way we all grow as human beings is if we continue to challenge our respective accepted beliefs.

If they are good, they will hold up under continued attack and scrutiny... if they aren't they will usually fall apart

I get the part about repetition being annoying... but one also has to be careful that they aren't simply blocking out what they don't want to hear.

We have holes and we are looking for Waiters and Lance to plug them.

That should alone be enough of a red flag.

8. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I don't even. Team is sitting at 40-12. 2nd best record in the league. But the ship is essentially broken and needs to be "righted".

Cookie, Weezy and abeer3 like this.
  9. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

So we’re back to rehashing the AD thing AGAIN and talking about Galileo?

Cookie, Kenzo, Weezy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

If I politely reply to another poster, then I'm rehashing?

TIL...

11. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    You gotta admit, comparing yourself to Galileo standing against the ignorant powers that be was just a tad bit over the top.

Cookie, SamsonMiodek, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  12. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

You started to politely reply, but then it proceeded to be the same thing again. This is a public board, not a PM. If I have to read or scroll through the same thing time after time, it’s my right to share my feelings on that.

Cookie and Weezy like this.
  13. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Pioneer was the one who brought up the Cervantes analogy.

I can't help it if I read things other than ESPN on occasion.

14. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

This board needs more content not less.

You can always block me although I hope you don't.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not to pile on, but implying that you're more well-read than others (which is how that statement could easily be...read) after comparing yourself to perhaps the greatest example of a historical figure who was right when everyone else was shamefully wrong is probably not the best way to enhance the rep. ;)

and btw, for every galileo, there's like 60000000 manic street preachers who think they're galileo.

Cookie, SamsonMiodek and Weezy like this.
  16. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Which is precisely why I immediately made the clear disclaimer which people still managed to ignore.

My message boards comments are insignificant... but the psychological principle is universal.

17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I thought of being a street preacher once

but I just made a new forum identity to try it out first

it wasn’t for me. But the poop gif thing was totally working for me.

18. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Again you are tilting at windmills <sigh>, you have to rehash the trade without addressing the point about how forums work.
    You do really post on the edge of being a troll

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

As opposed to you accurately could have written instead, "to put us over the top" ? LOL

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Cookie, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  20. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I've said that Collison could help... I've said that JR or IT could help.

We all have our varying opinions on that issue.

My point was that on one hand you have people telling me that our cavalier approach to smaller assets didn't affect us because we landed AD... but clearly it has because we are looking for even worse players to replace them.

And this is after we hit the jackpot with Dwight and Caruso to a lesser extent.

I have no big argument with those who say... "It's a shame but it had to be done". I disagree of course, but that is a reasonable opinion.

Where I have a difficulty is when people use words like no brainer... would do it again a hundred times... would have given up more.

Keeping even one of those assets... even Hart would have provided a huge lift to this team.

Or put us over the top as you just said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.