Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, it wasn't a spoiler of the plot. I know people are sensitive about spoilers, so I hid it. But it's more of a general theme I noticed throughout the movie. I actually didn't even get into specifics.

IE Lakers likes this.
  2. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

So if I read the ‘spoiler,’ would I just be better informed about what to look for overall, or are there still some spoilers that would ruin the experience?

3. Savory Griddles

I mean, if you want to go in completely fresh, don't read it. It's not going to spoil the plot, but I also think you should go in without looking at it since if you are looking out for it, you may see it in places where it's not, ya know what I mean?

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I see your point but I will argue that its hard to compare Shang Chi to Iron Man and Cap when they need those moments to show their character as leaders where as Shang Chi is more of a badass support character to the Avengers (sort of like Scarlet Witch). I also think the getting dragged around plays into his reluctance to live THAT life, he'd rather be driving valet and singing karaoke in SF. I think we'll see the Shang Chi you're describing in sequels and later movies when he has mastered the rings.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

So what you’re saying is it’s good, but not as great as everyone is saying. Basically the same way Eric Cartman and I feel about Black Panther.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  6. Savory Griddles

If I'm being honest, I'd say it was OK. Like a 6/10 with 10 being Empire Strikes Back, 1 being The Last Jedi and 5 being Solo. ;) I also wasn't a huge fan of Black Panther mostly due to the ridiculous laziness that was Vibranium. How'd you do that? Vibranium. Why is that like this? Vibranium. Vibranium was the answer to ever single plot hole.

But most of the other Marvel stand alone movies were more in the IM and Cap motif. Strange, Spidey...they are pulled into a conflict, whether unwillingly or willingly, but they then have a transition where they realize who they are. I just got this feeling with Shang Chi that he was sort of floating through his own movie, and at the end it almost felt like, "Well, I guess I need to do this now cause I might be the only one to stop this." It's hard to put my finger on it, but with the other heroes it felt like there was that moment when they chose to become the hero. It almost felt more like it happened TO Shang Chi rather than the hero coming from within him, if that makes sense?

7. alam1108

It makes sense. I think what you are seeing is a byproduct of the way his supporting cast was written. A lot of the movie was about his parents and the struggle between the rings. His often overlooked sister becoming a badass in Macau. The directionless Katy. The "Mandarin". It was an origin story but also a story of the powerful rings.

My reason for liking it as much as I did was that it is a great martial arts movie. Its one of my favorite genres that I've been watching as a kid. So many martial arts/chinese action movies lean too much one way or the other, focus on the fighting or on the special effects. Shang Chi nails it with great fighting sequences (thank you Brad Allan) and the Disney/Marvel budget for the special effects. And Tony Leung absolutely kills his role and carries the movie for me.

SamsonMiodek and TIME like this.
  8. IE Lakers

Muchas gracias!

9. IE Lakers

Anyone on Cartman’s side loses credibility points, Weezy.

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

Yeah, I loved Panther too, and I’ll keep rewatching it, but it’s not an epic blockbuster. Just very good.

10. alam1108

Anyone watch Eternals?

11. Savory Griddles

Nope. I'm just sort of over Marvel I think at this point. None of the shows have been great and Black Widow and Shang Chi were both meh. Not going to go to the theaters to see a movie that even the critics (who are always VERY kind to Marvel) thought was crap. I'm starting to take the stance that Endgame was the end of the universe. Things need to end or nothing has meaning.

12. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Unfortunately, I did. Don't do it to yourself.

TIME, alam1108 and Kenzo like this.
  13. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I hear that Disney has been losing a ton of money over all these Marvel movies. Heck even Disney+ is supposedly doing very poorly.

I am waiting for Thor to show up as a 200 pound 5 foot black tranny with purple hair. Go team!

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  14. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I saw the new Spider-Man movie today and loved it. A very good mixture of comedy, action and drama overall, and I even liked Maguire in that one. Would recommend it to all fans of the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. IMHO, one of the better Marver movies overall.

TIME likes this.
  15. alam1108

Very good Spiderman movie. They nailed the tone with this one and feels different from the other Marvel movies

TIME likes this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Spiderman was DEFINITELY a good movie. The best thing about it though is it sort of crushes the narrative that people didn't go see Eternals, Shang Chi and Black Widow because of COVID. Spiderman came out in the middle of the biggest outbreak yet...and it has made significantly more than the previous 3 MCU movies last year combined. People want good movies with the characters they love. If you are going to bring in lesser known characters that don't have a large following, you better have a story that absolutely knocks it out of the park.

Weezy, TIME and SamsonMiodek like this.
  17. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Just saw Eternals. What a steaming pile that was. :Woozyshaq:

Weezy and SamsonMiodek like this.
  18. Weezy

I also just watched Eternals, waited for Disney+ release. Glad I waited and didn’t spend more money than I had to. Worst Marvel movie ever, boring, overly long, all the actors do is stand and pose, even when using their powers they stand and pose. It’s also ugly to look at imo, like this dull haze is over everything, most of it takes place against brown backgrounds of sandy places. I could rant for pages on why I hated it, but I did hate it. Now that it’s out of the way I can’t see ever watching it again.

JSM, Savory Griddles and TIME like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

I still haven't watched it. Nobody who's opinion I respect has anything positive to say about it. You have your Disney shills that want to continue to be invited to premieres that have said they liked it. There are a lot of things I want to watch. I never see myself seeing it until that ever growing list is exhausted.

20. Weezy

I only watched it because every Marvel movie is a piece of the bigger story. Even in that regard I’m not sure I needed to, I can’t see these characters featuring heavily going forward, they’re bland, awful characters. Only the one played by Kumail Nanjiani had any personality and was interesting at all.

JSM and TIME like this.