Mental Health/My Story

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JDLakersFan2019, Jul 31, 2019.

1. JDLakersFan2019

JDLakersFan2019 - Rookie -

Wasn’t quite sure where to post this thread, but my name is JD and I’ve been a member on this site in the past. Love this forum here and certainly look forward to being more active during the season.

I wanted to start a discussion about mental health. I’m sure there are plenty of members on this forum who either have struggled with mental health issues themselves or know someone who does.

I myself do struggle with mental health issues particularly anxiety and depression. It’s been rough especially this summer, but I’ve been in therapy and on medication for over a year. It definitely has done wonders for my recovery process.

Long story short I was out of school for nearly a decade when I dropped out of high school when I was just a freshman, but didn’t go back till last year. I’m 24 years old and gonna be 25 in a little over a month. I got my GED earlier this year and am now on the verge of starting college.

Been a crazy journey. There was also a church/ministry I joined last year. It’s really helped me because I’ve found a true purpose and am a Christian now. God really helped me turn my life around.

More about my mental health issues, but I struggle with clinical depression which from my understanding is the most severe form of it. It’s difficult to open up about because there is still such a stigma attached to mental health. If anyone is struggling with mental health issues feel free to message me and we can talk more about it.

It takes a lot of courage to fight these very real and serious issues. I recently started going to an outpatient program because of how much I was struggling. Also went to a Christian support group last night which definitely helped. I’d encourage you to get help if you’re struggling with mental health issues because things do get better, but it starts with getting the help you need.

2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Great idea for a thread. I’m happy for your progress. Keep up the good work and know, as silly as it sounds, we’re a supportive family here for you and others. I’ve heard there are a few licensed therapists here, too.

3. JDLakersFan2019

JDLakersFan2019 - Rookie -

Not silly at all thankful for my Lakers family! :Brows:

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    That's awesome that you shared this. I don't venture into Open Court all that often these days, but I've gone through a pretty dark stretch myself. I can say my family of friends here helped keep me sane during difficult times. Always nice to feel like you are on the other side of the valley-that's for sure.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    and these are things some of our favorite athletes deal with too

Props to the NBA on leading the way in this department.

Battle Tested20 and ZenMaster like this.
  6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

[​IMG]

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I think many people have to deal with these issues, either for themselves or for their families. My wife has two brothers who have severe mental disabilities. Schizophrenia, manic depression, etc. Unable to work, unable to do much. It's been an eye opener for everyone. I've actually learned a lot from them and it has given me an appreciation/understanding of people fighting these problems than I would have ever had without experiencing them. All I can say is try to appreciate the good qualities that I am sure you have. Embrace them and try to focus on doing good for others. Sounds weird but really works for one of the brothers. That dude has such a good heart, he means well towards others. Stay on your meds!! They work 99% of the time, keep an open communication with your physician. Good luck man, we got your back!

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  8. MarlonLarsen

MarlonLarsen - Rookie -

It's great to see you back on the forum, and we're glad to have you here! Thanks for sharing your story about mental health. It takes courage to open up about such personal experiences, and it's essential to have discussions like these.
    Anxiety and depression can be tough battles, but seeking therapy and medication is a significant step towards recovery. Your journey, including going back to school and earning your GED, is truly inspiring. Remember, you're not alone, and many here can relate and offer support.
    For those interested in exploring more about mental health and available resources, check out https://releaf.co.uk/how-it-works. It might provide some additional insights and guidance.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    The Showtime Mamba likes this.