Marc Gasol Discussion: The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly On The Plain

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Cookie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    :Javaleidontknow2:

TIME, Khmrp and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Meh..Gasol is effective against certain match-ups. Mainly big guys that can bully in the post. There just aren't a lot of them around today. He is still too slow for the agile mobile types in fashion now. Drummond moves better from baseline to baseline, that's why he is a better look against those guys.

Both have their usefulness against certain teams. It's like last season, Javale ran the floor better, but Dwight provided more muscle. At the the same time, we had to go without either against certain teams. Adding Harrell covers all bases, because I would still rather see Trez at the 5 in spots over Morris. One guy is not the answer, it depends on who we're playing that night.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

oh, yes. AD at center ftw. but since he refuses to be called a center, marc gasol is our best one since shaq.

no. we had the league's best d with gasol, and his numbers are good there. drummond's never been good on d, and we can see why each night.

yes. gasol, harrell, and gorgui dieng would have been a great trio that addressed all situations and didn't compromise chemistry. instead, we have to play a guy 25-30mpg even if it hurts us to do so.

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. Slick2021

I'm not sure what what you kind of drugs you use, good stuff I see.Pfft...Gasol played 15-20 minutes a game, he didn't make our defense a top rated one. Drummond isn't great but neither is Gasol. Maybe you have missed just about any big that can move blowing by him all season. LOL..I mean Toronto had a great D last season too...wasn't because of Gasol. They got tired of guys blowing by him too,that's why they told him that he needed to explore his other options in the off-season. I mean Rob made the exact same decision!

Smh.he has some value though, but you are off your meds with all this Gasol nonsense. Dude has played MAYBE 4 good games as a Laker

5. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Please make your case without saying unnecessary inflammatory statements like “you are off your meds”.

TIME, Barnstable, ZenMaster and 2 others like this.
  6. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Half a season of metrics showing we were a great defensive team with Gasol as our starting center. As you mentioned, Gasol has been on great defensive teams the past 2 years, and we’re supposed to believe it was all in spite of him? Because he’s slow? Yeah, that’s gonna be a no from me dawg.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. Slick2021

What metrics show the team declined significantly on defense without him starting? Post it

8. Slick2021

What is this the romper room? Seriously?

9. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Toronto dropped from 2nd in the NBA to 14th in defensive rating this season with Gasol as the only major loss. We were 1st in defensive rating when he was starting here. In the last 10 games, we’re 8th. I’ll even concede there are a number of factors contributing to that, namely injuries, but you asked for the numbers.

I don’t dislike Drummond, but it’s hard for AD to play close to the basket without spacing and Drum has a low bb IQ and never boxes out. I hope things work out for his and the team’s sake, but I trust Gasol a helluva lot more and have been satisfied with him all season.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Kawan

Kawan - Rookie -

Gasol has to be used in situations. He is too slow to play against most bigs. He is situational player at this point. He is still a great passer and spreads things out when he is in there. However, down low on defense, he is a liability. We have to use all three of our bigs in the playoffs. I am not sold on Drummond either, but he gives us the inside presence that Gasol lacks.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  11. Slick2021

Ibaka was a better defender than Gasol last year in Toronto. He avg more points, rebounds, had a higher fg percentage and hit more threes too. I don't think you watched Toronto in the bubble, if you did you would get a better idea of just how bad he played. I think you are vastly overrating Marc Gasol's impact there and with the Lakers. People keep pointing to Gasol's high basketball IQ and passing, but he also has one of highest turnover percentages in the NBA too coming in at 8th.

like I said earlier, it still depends on the matchups, Drummond has his good and bad moments too. I'm more concerned about AD's Achilles than any of the three centers.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  12. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    No, exactly the opposite actually. It's a place for adults to talk basketball in a (mostly) mature and respectful way. You may not know this but personal insults are making your point (a lot) weaker, not stronger.

IE Lakers, Cookie, tada and 2 others like this.
  13. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

You were asked nicely. There are usually not that many additional times you are going to be asked and they tend to be not quite as nice.

IE Lakers, Cookie, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Seriously, personal insults are against forum rules on LB, and you are seriously being asked nicely to not do that anymore or the repercussions will become serious.

Argue your points without insulting another member... seriously

IE Lakers, Cookie, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

again, no. just factually incorrect.

who is this person? i feel like we've added three or four of this same person in the past few months, tbh.

16. Slick2021

What's factually incorrect? That Gasol averages 19.2 minutes a game? That I said that he's maybe had 4 good games as a Laker? That both Toronto and the Lakers felt the need to pursue other options at Center? What exactly?

17. Slick2021

Duly noted...seriously.

SamsonMiodek and Barnstable like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

all except the minutes he averages. but carry on. you're doing great here.

19. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Gasol is part of the fifth best lineup in the NBA net rating wise but I'm sure he has nothing to do with it ...

As for the bubble talk , yeah he was bad offensively but C's were going at the rim at will with Ibaka at the 5 , not the case with Marc

IE Lakers, lakerjones, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  20. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Where’s the Pelinka “do it” GIF when you need it.

abeer3 and JSM like this.