Marc Gasol Discussion: The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly On The Plain

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Cookie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

stop twisting what I said, I said if Marc wants to go he can go, we aint got time to deal with the drama...folks here want to not have bad rep with players/agents or whatever, why force someone to stay if said player doesnt want to stay any longer?

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Who's twisting words. It's exactly what you said that I replied to.

And here you go again thinking Marc's not worth any effort to smooth things over when clearly he is. He already has said all the right things and is working back into shape again after covid. The guy is valuable and can ball. Your opinion on the matter at this point isn't even relevant now.

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Credit where credit is due, great game. I know it's not easy to get in shape and "normal life" after covid. Hope he stays injury free for the rest of the season, dude is a true pro (even if he was pissed after we got AD2).

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i said my peace, it applies to ALL role player, shut up and play your role

5. LTLakerFan

We all heard your piece like 10 times. Thanks for bringing it up again when not even applicable at this point and your take on Gasol's value to the team sucked in the first place. That's my piece. Peace out.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i've just found it super weird all year that a not insignificant number of fans decided early that all ills flowed from our vet min center, who's actually vastly outperforming a vet min (and other vet mins that these people would rather have).

we were very lucky to get gasol, imo. he's clearly not what he once was, else we'd have had zero shot at him. not sure why this rubbed people so raw.

SamsonMiodek, Cookie, tada and 4 others like this.
  7. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I think he has a ton of skills, but we have been getting killed in the interior and early on he could not seem to score 2 points in a game with ease. It was cause for concern after seeing what McGee and Howard had brought us the year before. We were playing like crap and people were guessing why. Honestly, I hate when people get super negative and don't see the positive things the team is doing to improve but I don't know how you can't honestly understand some of the angst. ????? That being said, he obviously has skills and it is up to our team to figure out how to maximize his usage.

Khmrp likes this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

If I had to guess... before Vogel has talked about not giving Wes, Kief, or Dudz meaningless minutes. He finds it disrespectful. If they're not in the plans for that game, like when THT took Wes' spot, he's not going to play the player. Drumm's injury changed the plan.

abeer3 and Khmrp like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Exactly. That's why it didn't make any sense to not put Marc in at that point while Bucks big lineup was still on the floor. Same as if it happens going forward that Drummond gets 2 or 3 fouls early in the game and the other team's big lineup or a bad matchup for Harrell is still in the game. Or in the playoffs for certain situations it just makes better sense between the 2 of them, with who else for our team is on the floor, for Marc to be in the game over Drummond. Playoffs is winning time .... screw the politics! And it falls on Vogel to get everyone in that mindset, like last year. Try Marc out as well with Harrell at times. We have our Big Men depth back now that we lost!

Cookie likes this.
  10. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    He has stepped up lately...kudos.

Seems like Drummond has turned up the heat on him.

lakerjones likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, those just aren't facts. we were never playing terribly when everyone was healthy, nor were we getting killed in the interior. zero support for these ideas rooted in fact.

that's why i didn't understand the angst. particularly, again, at our vet min center (who's better than howard or mcgee, who also can't defend the pick and roll to save their lives).

12. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I believe I saw stats that indicated there was a 4 point increase in the interior, this year vs last year. ??????? The eye test early on was showing that too. There was lots of mitigating reasons for that, no doubt. No practice, new players that are key to the team, at least one guy coming off of covid. It is just hard to not react to it. Honestly, I like Gasol, but he had me worried early on. He is starting to come around. But earlier he was having games where he would score 2-4 points and was missing as many plays as he was making. I was worried that they needed to shore up the front line. I still think Marc is slow footed. I don't think that is the end of things, truth is Jabbar was slow footed towards the end of his career. A smart center can get away with that a little when they are smart and know where to be on the court. Jokic is fairly much the same and he is a potential MVP candidate.

I'm not saying you are not right, I am saying give everyone a break, things were looking a little ragged there for awhile, it is natural for people to worry about it. I don't like it when people over react and make things too negative and get super angst about it either but just saying that some of it is somewhat understandable.

And remember, the Lakers have been worried too, otherwise they probably would not have brought in AD2.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

If Ibaka can off the bench when Marc arrived, to help the team win the championship Marc can do the same and step aside for Drummond.

Marc's value will come in the playoffs as a half court player when the game slows down

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The injury bug has ravaged us this season

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

When you thought 2021 couldn't be worse than 2020 ... At least we enjoyed the Lakers in 2020.

As I said before Frank needs to tank at least one game and give the starting 5 multiple days of rest.

I'd sacrify both games against Utah .

Mainly play THT , McLemore , Mckinnie , Kostas , Cacok...

Cookie likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

Damn he did it hustling and diving for the ball. Also knocked down 4 three pointers and scored 18 points. The offense is more fun to watch often when he’s in the game.

17. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

This freakin season is ridiculous.
    Get well Marc. We need your slow, chubby a** out there :)

TIME, Wino, Cookie and 1 other person like this.
  18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Memphis Marc

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

At least this is not a major injury. He should be ready to contribute soon. That's why you need depth.

sirronstuff, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I loved his response that he doesn't really use his left hand much anyway. Very Kobe-like answer.