Marc Gasol Discussion: The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly On The Plain

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Cookie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he has a reason to be annoyed but mgmt also has a reason to want more from the C spot and Vogel is a walking contradiction, situation is sort of on him, Marc was basically forgotten about during Drummond debut

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Easily one of his best games as a Laker. Certainly nice to see

abeer3, ElginTheGreat, Weezy and 9 others like this.
  3. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Vintage Marc.

Kenzo, DeeZee, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  4. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

Gasol is tearing it up, Gaol saying, Drummond sit down with your tail nail

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Someone lit a fire under his butt lol. Sometimes that’s what it takes.

6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Looks like he's coming around and the reality is settling in. Like I said earlier, I think as long as he can stay loose, playing full tilt in 4-5 minute increments could be very effective.

abeer3, ElginTheGreat, Weezy and 7 others like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I just finished the last of the game after being in GT for the 1st 3 quarters and having to split for dinner. So I’m wanting more and am staying with the post game show which I usually don’t do. Not even to the highlights yet. Worthy and Bresnahan and Fisher just spent the first 8-10 minutes talking about what I see in Gasol on this team. It was incredible. It should be required watching as a price to pay for all his detractors here who ridiculously parrot that he is washed up and not even an NBA player at this stage of his career, a “fat slob” even .... because that kind of talk makes the rest of us dumber for having to listen to it. Seriously.

All three of them saying this from their observations after his last two games and starting to get back in rhythm and physical conditioning from a serious bout with a deadly virus. Ask Derrick Rose ... nastiest s*** he’s ever had. And Marc had his butt kicked too. It’s so freaking obvious he’s still a good player and because of his size and skills and championship experience in the league .... that right now he’s the “leader” in effect of the team more than anyone else with Bron and AD out. Just like Memphis where even then the guys around him were far superior at doing athletic things.

And then the next 5 minutes they talked about the combined effect of what AC and THT bring now to the team. If you have this post game recorded but didn’t watch, highly recommended.

Plus Marc’s interview on the court after the game was lengthy and revealing. What we need to do to win and his mindset. Impressive dude. Not to mention I saw him off the floor at least 10-12 inches on one of his blocks at the rim late in the game. He is just starting again to head toward playoff conditioning.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    sirronstuff, abeer3, Wino and 2 others like this.
  8. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Fans need a scapegoat , they'll quickly love Marc again when they watch Drummond play major minutes in the upcoming games

abeer3 likes this.
  9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student

Interesting, this makes it seem like Marc was legitimately considering a buyout at some point

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m glad he’s stuck around, would be foolish to buy him out. Frank just needs to figure it out, but I think Drummond can play 25-30 mins, Marc can play 18-23, they both have different strengths, and I still think Marc and Trez work because Marc can stay out on the perimeter while Trez works down low. Then when AD plays the 5 some in big games to close or whatever, Marc AND Drummond’s minutes go down and that’s just how it goes, that’s how we won the title last year and McGee and Dwight I don’t think regret having their rings.

abeer3, ElginTheGreat, 432J and 4 others like this.
  11. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Playing his role and giving great effort for 10-15 minutes, good. Still some turnover issues and is very slow and unable to get 50/50 balls or switch on most wings and guards - like most big men. Not able to finish well with no lift.

So mostly perimeter on offense and ok on D getting in the way but mostly a liability. I have always liked how guys cut and screen when he has the ball, knowing he will try to find them. Avoids iso ball.

His effort was not just conditioning from what I saw in many early games. Glad there is a fire now. Good numbers against very weak teams recently. Very happy about his attitude adjustment.

The entire team is adjusting to playing without Bron and Ad. THT play making is improving. This road trip will be tough, but also starting to forge some focus and chippyness.

Wish Kuz would play with more toughness. Too aloof most times. Gasol plays well angry.

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if he were to start it should be with Trez at pf, Marc should always be paired with Trez, Trez/Drummond never gona work

13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I felt like Marc was just taken aback and needed some time to adjust. I’m sure a few conversations between him and the staff have occurred and it looks like he’s coming around.

as always, winning solves everything and I think he’ll be good once everyone is back and the team really gets back rolling toward another title.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Vogel made the call, why isnt anyone blaming him for this issue?

15. LTLakerFan

I only did it like 3 times while you and I were going round n round about it.

16. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I hadn't realized that Marc had covid. That really does change my opinion. That can really sap someone's strength and conditioning, add that to learning to fit into a new team with a couple of alpha players and I could see that all taking awhile.

We will see how this all goes with time. I really hope that Vogel uses both Drummond and Gasol a great deal. Split their time. Figure out how to maximize both their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. That is what a good coach should do. Should not be too difficult, he has Lebron to show him how!!! :rock:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

thats fine but coach made the call and maybe even mgmt, I understand Marc has issues but shouldve came to his conclusion prior to airing our dirty laundry. Anyone not name Bron/Ad have no right to complain about their roles

18. LTLakerFan

That wasn't what you just asked above, and here we go again about how you think Marc should have reacted when Vogel handled that first game poorly. He declined to talk to the press at the time and you were all ready to say hit the road at that point.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i wonder whether vogel did make that call, tbh. or if he felt he HAD to make a certain call, based on a conversation with his boss.

i bet drummond was promised the starting role, and i bet marc knew that and got mad.

i know folks are going to push back on this, but for what we need, gasol is a better fit than drummond. drummond may put up bigger numbers and look more impressive to the eye, but gasol just makes little winning plays, a la caruso.

tada, ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

My problem and others' was with Vogel not subbing him in for Drummond when he went down, while Freak and Lopez were still in the game, and didn't put him in the game until the 4th quarter. Threw Harrell in there dumbly to combat that kind of size. So of course Marc had insult added to the injury.

Drummond may have had to have been promised that in order to land him and maybe find some slick Rob work to retain him going forward, which is acceptable. But the buck will stop with Vogel come playoff time to get the best out of this squad. Thankfully he has shown he is very good at that.