Marc Gasol Discussion: The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly On The Plain

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Cookie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    All I'm going to say is I disagree 100% with this.

Marc is barely an NBA player at this point. For every decent pass he makes, he turns it over. The only offense he provides is the occasional 3. He can't move, he can't run, he can't jump. He can't score in the paint, making it 4 on 5. He can still position defend here and there but that's it. He's horribly out of shape.

He's beyond done. The 10 day contract guy looked better and Drummond is light years ahead, even with all of the rust.

I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing.

And if Marc is so frustrated with his playing time, he could've at least came into camp in shape. Dawite is the same age, but he came into camp in great shape ready to accept a reduced role. Marc came into camp a fat slob, barely able to get up and down the court.

He's flat out done at this point. He's not an NBA player anymore.

BangBoomPow likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

I am very disappointed to read Marc's comments. It's the fact that these comments were made publicly... Dude, why would you do that to your own teammates? Drummond is clearly trying to build his confidence back up. You should be supporting him so the Lakers can win a title. I doubt many teams will offer Gasol a huge role next season. Seriously, Gasol is on the verge of retiring. He should be thankful that he's on a championship contender and take on a leadership role to help Trezz+AD+Drummond on any weaknesses they may have.

If he wants playing time, maybe he should be playing better. The only reason the Lakers went after Drummond is because they gave up Dwight/Javale for Marc Gasol and now Marc Gasol is way underperforming. Drummond is the better player, period! If Marc is upset about that, he's immature as hell. Even if Frank promised him the starting role and minutes, that was before they found out Marc wasn't playing well. They gave him a chance and he hasn't been very good.

Juronimo likes this.
  4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Some of this "way past their prime" players are freakin delusional.

5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

he should've just kept his comments to himself, plain and simple. there's no need for distractions or drama with the situation the team is currently in

if he's committed to the team like he says, then he'll do what he can to help drummond learn the system and fit in. if he really thinks that there was no need for an upgrade and that he can still be relied on every night, then he really needs to step into reality and realize this isn't 2012

6. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

His play and production the first half of the season totally justified the front office to look to upgrade at his position. Plain and simple.

Khmrp and sirronstuff like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'll continue to disagree. he played his role exactly as i expected, and we won a lot before everyone got hurt. we should have been looking at dieng types to fill in behind him instead of trying to replace him.

again, if drummond shines and we keep him at a discount rate, you can all make fun of me in a few months. i'll enjoy it, actually. i don't think both of those things are likely to jointly occur, so i'm not sure i love all this.

gasol's been a professional everywhere, never had a problem with anyone, and he's annoyed now. there's probably a decent reason, no?

8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree, we're a totally different team with and without Lebron/AD.

Before AD got hurt, we had the best record in the league, blowing teams out with Marc starting at the 5. No one was complaining then.

I'd be very careful with how we handle Marc.

I don't mind experimenting with Drummond for now, but once we're back at full strength, I think Marc should start against most matchups.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Marc has to accept that yes, he came here to start for a championship team and maybe we got a discount because of the role he'd have here and the fact that he'd have a chance to get another ring. But as he said, the NBA is constantly changing. We could have never guessed that a top 10 center would fall into our laps at the deadline. If he's being honest with himself, he'd make the same move 10/10 times if he's in that position. Dre is nearly a decade younger.

Marc has been a great player for the league. He is making a damn good contribution as a Laker. He's had a role in us maintaining our elite ranking defensively. He's not flashy and you have to be paying attention to notice a lot of his contributions. They don't all show up on Top 10 or the box sheet. I think he can still be vital to us winning, as Vogel said.

I thought Vogel handled it perfectly in the media with his comments. It might be a little bumpy until he nails down the healthy rotation with everyone, but I trust him. He seems to have his finger in the pulse of his lineups as well as anyone in the league.

If anything, I think we can get better bursts from Marc by him staying fresh. Also foul trouble won't cripple us. If he wants to hack Joker or Embiid, 4 times in 6 minutes. Go for it!

And regarding the Kings game, a little bit of a mixed bag with the turnovers. But he was huge with rebounding and dishing it out. Thought it was a good game for him.

acetabulum7, TIME, abeer3 and 4 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yep. Thanks.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That said, Vogel could have handled that first game with Drummond starting infinitely better by subbing in Marc then and there when Andre went down. It sure wasn’t the right time game wise or in fairness to Marc to just ignore him and go to Trez. Made no sense and added insult to the injury with Marc. Witnessed by how well he did in the 4th finally and yesterday against the Kings while still rusty and not in great condition since the rough bout with covid.

Cookie and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    probably because he has moobs

discrimination in my book

If you can ball, should it matter?

13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Vogel will have his hands full but the guys seem to accept their role after a while

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. sirronstuff

Mark was out of the lineup. We were exposed for not having enough depth.

The best available buyout option was a solid center who is younger and healthier.

Kind of a no brainer. He'll get over it, but needs to embrace that he has competition for that C spot. Whoever is the best fit in the starting lineup will end up there. End of story.

Khmrp and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

well, tbh, half this forum was complaining about him then, too.

but that's not what happened. an equally out-of-shape drummond was immediately inserted into the starting lineup after like, half a practice, and he really didn't play all that well.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I think he was hoping for a jolt and that's what we got. We played and shot the ball like a top tier team in that first Q. Had Dre not lost his toenail, maybe the energy surrounding the new toy keeps the game competitive.

Other than being manhandled by the Freak and maybe not being aggressive on the glass, I liked what I saw out of him in the first Q.

Khmrp likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

Looked like his timing was off a bit, but I didn’t think he looked out of shape.

but game shape is always different than practice shape

still pick up Drummond 100/100 times

lakerjones and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's been obvious to a few of us here all year. high iq players are valuable, even when they're slow. and especially when you don't need them to be stars. our defense has been better than last year's, and that's without javale mutombo and dwight russell. there are more ways to defend than blocking shots (though marc blocks a fair amount), and there are more ways to contribute on offense than finishing lobs.

sirronstuff and wallangong like this.
  20. sirronstuff

drummondpump.gif

abeer3 likes this.