Malik Monk Discussion: SacTown

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Aug 3, 2021.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, if we want him then I think that's the smart play. Like I've said, he makes a lot of sense IF we shed Russ and THT or Nunn (2 of 3) because we have waaaay too much money tied up in the position with 12 holes on the roster.

I think he can get $16m in a couple years at least. Bev got $14m, Bertans is getting $16m, Fultz is getting $16.5m, Fournier is getting $17m, Bledsoe and Gordon are each getting $18m.

Hardaway is 30 years old getting his $21m (he got his at 25). Rozier is 28 getting his $18m (same payday schedule as THJ). I think he could get there in a couple years given a clear runway.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  2. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

https://hoopshype.com/lists/lakers-...anthony-davis-malik-monk-talen-horton-tucker/

abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

It would be so awesome if we could keep him.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Agreed. Cause that would mean that 1) we were able to keep a young talent for below market value. 2) we were able to dump Russ. 3) we didn't dump Russ but found a great package for a THT/Nunn deal.

Because we're not dumb enough to tie up 3 players and over $60m for one position and still not have a starting caliber player at said position....
    [​IMG]

6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I definitely hope you're right.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Saw it in the transactions thread too, but it's going to get buried in there.

From Buha with The Athletic
    Hate that we can't keep him, even if he's willing to take a paycut to stay. Can't give him our mini mid because we've got to get a big wing in here who can defend and hit a 3.

He's got a great attitude and sounds like he's getting after it this off-season -- watching film, 3 a days in the gym, working on bulk and D. Hope he does well with his earned payday of $10m+ elsewhere this summer.

Cookie, Weezy, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, it sucks. i'll be curious to see who pays him, though. his quotes and those from his family really indicate that his preference is to play here even for less money. who's ponying up the full mle and giving him the role he wants?

Cookie likes this.
  9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Monk on the vet min was such a win, we need something like that this offseason but I doubt we are lucky again.

We only have the TPMLE... we can split that but we need the full to go big wing hunting.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think he read the piece, if he did he ignored a few paragraphs.

And...
    He'd consider taking our mini mid vs full mid offers from other teams (which would be a mistake on our part). The math is mini mid+ $5m = over $10m

Couple playoff teams with full mid who I could see maybe (?) interested...

Chicago loves our players. They have defenders, depending on if they trade for a big, I assume their need after that is bench scoring.

Grizz have defense covered. Maybe they want a scoring punch.

13. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’ve been thinking he would stay if we offered the TP MLE. I’d love to keep him and I think he fits well with Lebron especially and of course his fellow Arkansas buddy AR.

But we have a lot of roster spots to fill. It would mean flipping THT and probably Westbrook to get some other players. I have no problem with that on paper but we have to find the deals and they weren’t there last deadline.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’ll miss watching him play for us, but yeah, we can’t use the TPMLE on him, we have too many needs to fill aside from what he brings. You have to try to use that on like Otto Porter.

JSM likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think if we offered him the mini-mid at midnight for two years with a player option on year two, he'd take it and not take other calls.

i agree with jsm that i'm not sure it's the best idea for us.

but things can happen between now and then. is russ moved for wings? THT/nunn moved for wings? maybe monk can get re-prioritized.

what i like about him is that he liked it here. i feel like that's valuable. russ hated it here. it bleeds into things.

16. lakerjones

I'm just going to say it. I'd rather bring back Monk than try to get Otto Porter jr. or Batum. Batum is too old and the Clippers will probably keep him anyway. Otto Porter was just ok IMO in the playoffs. Not great. We need a big wing who can 3 and D but I'm not convinced he's it. Nor do I think he's a better player here than Monk who has good chemistry. I'd rather keep Monk on TPMLE and try to get a wing/and or big with THT/maybe Nunn, or of course with Westbrook.

Like abeer3 said, Monk likes it here and our players like him. He was the rare FA for us that delivered. I would rather reward that than chase a position player for the same $. THT didn't fit and has had plenty of time to show it. I'd work on moving him instead.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't know why folks went gaga over porter. i don't think he's a difference maker, and monk is worth more than him, imo.

my thought on THT is that russ took his role and it set him back a year in development.

i just want to move russ and see what's there, then let that help me decide on monk.

Cookie, lakerjones and NickthaQuick like this.
  18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’d be good with this for sure, I just don’t really know what wing we could get for THT at the moment. We should have gone hard after Jerami Grant again considering his price ended up so low. My thing with Monk, and I like him a lot, is that he’s a 1 way player, a bench scorer. We can’t really afford to spend our TPMLE on a 1
    way player, it’s the only money we have to try to get a decent 2 way player. If one could be had in a trade the sure I try to keep Monk, but we’d have to know we had one lined up before re-signing him.

I wouldn’t say I’m personally gaga over Porter at all, it’s just our position of greatest need and he’s the most realistic option for that price.

abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i just think porter's a non-athlete, and i worry that last year was an exception, health-wise.

there just aren't great options in FA at the wing. think they have to come via trade or internal growth. both THT-centric.

lakerjones and Weezy like this.
  20. lakerjones

Yeah I’ve heard Warren’s name too but he is coming off of injury and I wouldn’t risk the full tp MLE on him or Porter or Batum. Like abeer3 said I don’t see a great 3 and D wing option in FA. So I’d rather keep a good player in Monk and figure out some other trade options for a wing and a stretch 5. THT Nunn Gabriel Westbrook all tradeable for these pieces to me. Keep the positives of last year in Monk Reaves and Stan to fill out around AD and Lebron.

abeer3 likes this.