Lakers Coaching Search Discussion: Going Ham?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Apr 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't blame him. Even if you put aside how the team handled the Vogel situation, do you really want the FO to have a say on your staff and also have Kurt Rambis sit in on coach's meetings?

Juronimo, RasAlgethi, TIME and 4 others like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If we REALLY want a circus, this is clearly our guy.

:Laugh:

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If Lebron is pushing for this, he’ll deserve all the grief that will come with it when it goes wrong.

if Jackson has changed, maybe not, but somehow doubting that

4. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

That list is very meh. We're probably going to end up hiring someone worse than Vogel.

5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

We are only going to get a first time coach that doesn't think he can get another head coaching job or a really bad retread. Lebron is a coaches worst nightmare. A guy that can no longer carry a team but still has to be treated like he can. I had much rather of gotten rid of Russ and Lebron and kept Vogel. By Halloween we are all going to be wishing we had Frank back. I wouldn't even care who if we could just find a coach that didn't kiss up to Lebron, but of course that is the first qualification. Will you kiss Lebron's A$$?? If the answer is no, interview is over. Is there really anyone that had rather watch Lebron dribble for 23.5 seconds and launch a bad shot vs what we saw the last few game? Without Russ or Lebron out there we actually got to watch basketball being played. I almost forgot what it looked like.

6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Give me Rondo as our new coach.

Azndude2190 and TIME like this.
  7. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

Seems Mark Jackson is the betting favorite right now. Very underwhelming if it ends up being him, even though I like him as a commentator.

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Vogel's tunure had run his course here IMO. With a healthy Lebron and AD, we are right back in contention in the West. If those two are at full tilt, I don't think we are going to miss Frank at all. I'm not really sure who we are going to interview for the job, I expect the media to just be randomly throwing out any "name" at the moment. I'm not as pessimistic about stuff as some I suppose. Frankly if the big two are sputtering due to injuries again next season, it doesn't matter what we do on any front anyway.

9. FrontOfJersey22

Okay, whatever.
    I guess LeGM and AD are the only players worth anything in the NBA.
    The new coach certainly does matter, whether or not the stars are injured. I guess you forgot how much talent we were stacked with before Phil was brought aboard to steer the ship.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. FrontOfJersey22

He won’t get it. I’m not even going to go into as to why, but it has to do with Jeanie not wanting to turn off a part of the fan base. Not surprisingly at all based on what kind of world we live in.

11. Slick2021

If you haven't figured out by now , that we aren't doing jack without a healthy Lebron and AD then the conversation is pointless.

12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

But you just basically implied the coach pales in comparison, marginalizing their / his / its (?:D) value. And the great point was brought up about the 3-peat team under Del Harris for a couple of years. And those studs were in their prime with precocious Kobe Bryant off the bench.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  13. Slick2021

? Pales in comparison to Lebron and AD on the importance scale? I can't think of any coach that won a chip without his two best players playing. Refresh my memory I may be getting long in the tooth. We needed a change at the HC, the team quit on Frank, that's wasn't getting repaired. I hope our next guy inspires the troops to run through a brick wall for him. However if Lebron and AD are in street clothes as much as they have been lately, I repeat..we ain't winning jack. It's a player's league, no great coach has won chips without great players. I don't remember Phil winning any rings without that in Chicago or LA. The reverse has been true in this league though.

Del Harris had an 18 year old Kobe and a 24 year old Shaq. What exactly are we trying to compare between he and Phil here?

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Just saying there was a lot of talent on that Lakers team in addition to monster Shaq and 18 year old Kobe and Harris made a difference to the negative in comparison to what Jackson immediately got out of them. It takes a really good coach to deal with the prima donnas of James and Davis and god help us if Brick is back …. so don’t be marginalizing our next coach’s importance in keeping the whole team pointed the right direction. LeBron’s no longer the force 24 year old Shaq was with Nick and Eddie, young Kobe and the rest of the good players on that team. Coaches aren’t like your throw away, replaceable role players.

15. Slick2021

Well let's be fair to Del here for a minute, Shaq missed a lot of games and an 18 year old Kobe was not the same kid Phil got. Shaq was better too .Besides there were some great veteran teams around in the West during that stretch. I thought he was a good coach, if Shaq wouldn't have been a bit dinged up and Kobe so green, he might have done better IDK. It's not like Phil took over immediately after Del got fired either.

Back to the present... the health of the big two are the key more than anything else, they were the same prima donnas in the bubble IMO, they were just healthy. I stand on what I said about the great HC vs great Players, it's the latter. That doesn't mean that the HC is irrelevant, but our next HC needs those two at peak form if we have any shot at a chip. Play in games, out in the 1st or 2nd rd, that's not some kind of Lakers version of success. It depends on what happened in the Conference Finals for me. I'm with Kobe tho...chip or bust.

16. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

Outside of the “realistic” candidates of Snyder or maybe Juwan Howard, this would literally be my third choice lol.

It speaks on the drop off on the list of qualified candidates that I seriously do think Rondo as a first time coach would do just as well, with the potential to be much better. The guy is a basketball savant and has the respect of the locker room, and he isn’t afraid to put Lebron or AD in their place.

LTLakerFan, FrontOfJersey22 and JSM like this.
  17. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

This has all the indicators of the Westbrick fiasco. We'll hire Doc and it's going to suck. Big time.

At least there is a chance he's going to play Austin a lot of minutes, if you catch my drift.

Cookie likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Doc Rivers is all media talk.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

And since the Times article essentially eliminated both Snyder and Howard, based on the current pool, I'm in.

I wonder if Coach Rondo has a playoff mode too.

I know we want a coach with experience, but no one with experience will take this job or will be someone we want. One or the other, but not both.

If it's an unproven Rondo vs Mark Jackson, Doc, MDA, Mike Brown, Stotts, or Hamm... give me the hall of fame Laker point guard. He at least fits Rob's parameter of being a "leader of men." Not to mention, I think there's at least a 40% chance he hits or spits at Rambis and I'd pay PPV fight rates to see that.

FrontOfJersey22 and VincePT like this.
  20. FrontOfJersey22

Yup. It takes a very strong individual to manage LeBron’s colossal ego. There’s not many coaches out there who can.
    I think Rondo is one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.