Lakers Coaching Search Discussion: Going Ham?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Apr 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

posted similar #s and luka isnt some lock down defender himself...kidd deserves credit just like vogel deserved the firing

Helljumper likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

vogel's been a better coach than kidd throughout their respective careers. kidd's having a moment right now in dallas, but it's not any more impressive than what vogel did in indy.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I can’t comment on how much credit Kidd deserves, but my main takeaway is that fans (myself included) have almost zero ability to actually evaluate coaches. The discourse after Dallas hired Kidd was universally that it was a terrible move. Now they’re in the WCF and it’s not like their roster was that significantly overhauled.

At this rate, it wouldn’t even be that surprising to me if we ended up hiring Mark Jackson, resulting in a bunch of outrage only for him to end up actually being good for us. Or on the other hand, if we hired Ham and celebrated the move, only to end up actually hating him.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Bryant, pika1708, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Armchair quarterbacking after the fact is always the best option for ultimate accuracy.

Bryant, Toneloc, lakerjones and 5 others like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t know if Kidd is a good coach or not, he’s doing a good job right now though, his team ran the defending Western conference champs out of the building. What I think I do know is that Bud isn’t a very good coach. No good coach would have played Grayson Allen that much in a game 7, he is a garbage player.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Windy on Get Up regarding Doc: Spoke to agents and other GMs and gets the feeling it's a negotiating stance with how quickly he announced their position. If Lakers want him, they'll have to call up Philly. Take his salary and offer up draft compensation.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he didn't have a ton of choices. with middleton out, the bucks had what, wes matthews, connaughton, and allen as their available wings? how many minutes can you play matthews at his age? bucks just had an allstar go out at a bad time, else they'd be brawling with miami for a return to the finals.

lol, my fear is that kidd's success will have us hiring jackson. they're similar, tbh. and maybe your'e right that we're all wrong about these guys, but i feel like fan sentiment has been pretty good on the coaching hires.

the big exception was probably walton. he wasn't my first choice, but i thought he'd be better than he was. but the mikes were the disasters many of us expected for the reasons many of us expected, and vogel was exactly what i think most expected.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol morey. gtfo. you're firing him before next season is over.

Kenzo, ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

upload_2022-5-16_10-49-2.png

kuz agrees with some of you.

Toneloc and sirronstuff like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Apparently the potential coaches are being asked how they would use Russ.
    [​IMG]

And on Doc
    Again, anyone taking on Doc should be given two firsts and not giving up a damn thing. Please! Don't let us be dumb enough to entertain trading for the coaching version of Russ.

Bryant, Kenzo, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Doc isn't going anywhere.

Russ might be coming back.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

The media wants Doc on the Lakers for the story lines. Kawhi and George return next season. They got Doc fired and his guy Lue, was their choice to replace him. Throw in the fact that Lue won a chip with Lebron and is a former Laker. Add the fact that Jerry West will be ultra motivated to kick some Laker a** this upcoming season..reports claimed that Kawhi backdoored Russ in order to lift PG13...that's a Hollywood blockbuster in the making. Let's just ignore the fact that Rivers blasted the Lakers for the way we dumped Frank, and said that he had no interest in this job. That's just a minor hiccup, because hey...Phil Jackson is the real shadow GM in LA, and damnit...he's kinda cool with Doc Rivers. SMH

Kenzo, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  13. Helljumper

Student
    Jason Kidd coaching defense. Maybe a little gimmicky to be so actively involved in guiding the defense, but I thought it was cool, and hearing from Mavs fans that they feel he’s done a great job getting the team to buy in defensively compared to last few years.

Kidd at 5:57 mark of this video asked “what’s been the difference for you in preparing you for this moment?”

“Frank Vogel, that’s an easy answer. Frank Vogel prepared me for this moment.”

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I will repeat this again...dont be so sure that Russ gets moved at all. The media was hot on that angle too...at first. As we go through the offseason, I expect the narrative to change to well...maybe that isn't the slam dunk it was originally reported to be. The fascination with the potential drama will be too enticing to give up for some of these guys. The epic failure of Lebron, AD and Russ, along with the Lakers franchise, would be huge for the haters of all 4. On the flipside, if it all worked out, that's a hell of a Hollywood movie too. The King reaffirmed his place in the All Time greatest conversation, the Crown Prince returned to glory, the native son redeemed himself. The drama, the intrigue, the most storied Franchise in the NBA, Good lord if the C Bags somehow win the title? The hype will be tripled immediately after the Finals!!!

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I think bringing in Stotts as a Head Coach or an Assistant we are automatically upgrading what we're doing offensively, IMO.

Yes, that's even with Russ on the roster. He is very creative, he can counter with adjustments, etc.

Frank just wasn't creative enough offensively. Didn't like how he used AD in particularly. A lot of sets just seemed very vanilla; there wasn't much creativity.

Now, defensively? Stotts isn't that good. Need a defensive mind on the staff. Clifford comes to mind.

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

If Westbrook is a Laker opening night, you can bring in Red Auerbach in his prime, it won't make a difference. Westbrook has to be a former Laker before the season starts. Pure and simple.

alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. Helljumper

Student

I hope this isn’t as bad as it sounds, but regardless I don’t think Rondo is ever going to be a head coach in this league.

Yes he has a great basketball mind and respect from other players, but he’s got too much crazy in him.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i actually harped on that a lot the past couple of years. it was fine the first year when AD was hitting threes (though still not optimal), but now that he's not, he needs to be used differently. and he can still put up an efficient 25ppg, no problem. that's on coaching and scheme.

that said, russ didn't help him.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I really hope so but it depends on a lot. We are at a critical juncture where we can’t afford to take back awful contracts or huge injury risk players. Even though it seems like the market is a little better than we thought with teams wanting Russ’s expiring we have to get an amenable deal out of it. We can’t afford to get even worse.

In the end there may be better offers at the deadline and though I don’t think we should wait for them the FO might see it differently if we aren’t getting anything we want this summer.

In a worst case scenario I can see the FO rolling with Russ for one last chance with a change of head coach. Not saying I want that because I’d rather get rid of him. But I could see it as a possibility. If that still doesn’t work (and I don’t think it will) there is still the deadline. And if that doesn’t bare fruit, he’s an expiring for us and opens up enormous cap space.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, i still think a trade prior to the season is more likely than not, but i'm starting to read the tea leaves that management is trying to leave options open. bring in a coach who can try one more time to maximize him, and that buys us the six months for his expiring contract value to reach full maturity. maybe it buys us some goodwill with would-be targets, too, as russ gets a chance to redeem himself instead of getting (rightfully, imo) scapegoated.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.