LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

OK. So now we have two massive stretches. One: He'll walk away from 45 million. Two: Anyone would sign a 36 year old to a new 3 year deal who is a full two steps slower already than he was in his prime. Also, why would he opt out of 45 million to play one season to earn 50 million over the course of 3? He'd essentially be getting paid 2.5 a season. Why? If it was 3/60, then he'd be getting 7.5 million a season. But when you consider he'd be making interest on 45 million as opposed to 20 million from the first season/opt out year of the contract...there is no reason for him to do this.

sirronstuff and Cookie like this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Was there any rhyme or reason to have George sign essentially a 4yr deal in OKC leaving potential money on the table, to only then fleece his way to the cLips a year later?

Was there a reason for Presti to accommodate in such rapid fashion having all the leverage?

Did another team offer Horford a deal that paid him 26m when he turns 36?

Normally, it would be considered a stretch but, things in the NBA aren't so normal, are they?

Btw, Cp3 still gets his side hussle on with Jordan Brand and State Farm the liner he stays in the game.

I get it...you think my stuff is too tinfoil... meanwhile is the NBA operating in a fashion that says otherwise? Are team-ups happening? Didn't our own FO plan to make a 3max team?

You act like my scenario is a ridiculous stretch when Cp3 clearly has a path to get more of that bag but opting out of his PO.

3. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Afraid I have to agree with the unlikeness of CP3 not opting-in or a team offering that kind of paper to him for 3 years now even let alone @ that age. Weird things do happen but the examples above are not comparable. This set of events would be absurd. A new deal for 3 years @ 50-60 for a 36-37 (40 by the end of a new 3-year deal then) year-old CP3 is not a clear path, it's not even dealing in plausible reality. Not even for a desperate small market team having roster-filling issues. With his fading game and injury history he'll be a vet min guy then. Maybe a decent exception (not full) for 1 year.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    SFGOLDRUSHER and abeer3 like this.
  4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    you strike me as one of those dudes that refuses to accept he has lost an argument no matter how bad it looks

It's semi-entertaining to read. I'll give you that.

tada, SFGOLDRUSHER and abeer3 like this.
  5. vasashi17

And you strike me as a chico or a chica that refuses to commit to one online persona.

Anyways, you guys call it a "lost argument" meanwhile dude sacrificed some short-term coin for the destination he intended to go to.

We all know that dude opted into a player option offering him far less in the short-term so that he could force a trade to Htown. He knew that long-term bag was still going to be there...but y'all already forgot dude agreed to opt into his player option while he was in his prime, making it a 2 year pact at less than max money to force his way out Nawlins for LA.

So if dude has been trending in f***ing around with his player options and essentially getting paid less in doing so just to force a new destination... you don't thick that same guy will restructure his bag to pay with Bron and finally reach that elusive ring?

Hey but the tinfoil life ain't for everybody.... although I'm pretty sure youre interested in making your next online persona one.

6. sirronstuff

thank you for proving my point

My work here is done. Now all that's left is logging in a Mr Rambis and making a cameo.

:Mrrambisbomb:

7. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

ethnicity and online personas are completely OT

TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  8. vasashi17

From the jump I said the Cp3 scenario is unlikely. So any scenario that I brought up (opting out of his final year to grease a trade) I also view as unlikely. But folks are so fast to just dismiss it and call it wrong. That's the mentality I'm disputing. This guy has made rules to collect a guaranteed bag till players get into age 38. He also has sacrificed short-term millions for more guaranteed money in the long-term. So as unlikely as it is that he opts out if 44m, if he makes up for it on a contract with a descending scale, I don't see how that particular scenario is something that can be quickly dismissed.

Anyways....

Rich has been grind'n and now people are finally noticing that they're more than just Bron's posse.

The clap back for wanting him to shut up and kibble.

EDIT: Live look at Rich flex'n on em.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    KB24, abeer3, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Rich Paul with that Godfather flow. Respect.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't want to call it ridiculous. Trying not to be combative, but if you think about it from a straight dollar to dollar standpoint, he would probably make less in the long-run. If he signs a 3/60 contract (still nearly impossible considering a team would not give him that much at that age), he would then be getting 20 million in the first year as opposed to the 45 he is scheduled to make. Interest on 45 million as opposed to 20 is a huge chunk of change. Signing a 2/15 deal after he plays out the entirety of the contract is somewhat believable, and he'd get all the extra money from having 25 extra million already banked away.

The only reason he would opt out is if he was dead set on ring chasing. But even then, no team is signing Chris Paul to a 3/60 deal at that age. No one would sign him to 3/60 now and he'll be significantly worse at that point than he is now.

I know our front office was going for the 3 max team. I get that. But CP3 isn't a max level player anymore. He's being paid like one, but he hasn't played to that level for the better part of two seasons now. He's only going to get worse as he creeps closer to 40. I'd rather have Danny Green as a third player than Chris Paul right now. CP3 doesn't fit at all. His only "positive" were he to play for the Lakers is he could limit the load on Lebron as the primary ball handler. But we have Bradley and Rondo who can both adequately do that.

As far as the examples used above, I like the Horford deal for the Sixers for the next two seasons. I think it's a short-term play. Chris Paul on the Lakers is a no-term play.

Presti giving up PG13 I believe was strategic in that he knew by doing that, he would then be able to trade Westbrook and not get chastised for it...better yet, make it Westbrook's idea. Everyone knew Westbrook wasn't going to work. He was able to start over with a truckload of picks and hopefully he'll land a superstar more conducive to this new NBA. I actually like what Presti did. PG/Russ was MAYBE a second round playoff team at best. It would never be anything more. At least now they have a shot at rebuilding a team for the modern NBA.

LTLakerFan, abeer3, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

agree strongly on paul--save that for one year, i like him a lot more than green. but that's one year. and his huge deal kills flexibility trade-wise (which i value more than flexibility cap-wise, tbh).

i don't think presti did well, but he's been dealt a couple tough hands of late (kd leaving and george demanding out in surprise fashion) and recovered in decent fashion. the george trade was ok value--not equal, but you don't get that in this situation. the westbrook move was stupid, though. got an older, less available player on an even worse contract in exchange for what will be totally non-impactful picks. should have gone the derozan route instead, imo--get a younger star who's not as good as yours but can help you win games and keep fans in seats. cp's not going to do that, imo.

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. sirronstuff

Only a moron would trade for CP3 at this stage of his career and owed that much.

Praying we don't have morons in the front office. Just seems to me to be a terrible decision to make. I can't find any rational way to justify it, and don't want to invest any brain power into something I would so clearly not want. It would seriously challenge my fandom more than the last six years and signing Lebron, and he's my favorite player tbh.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

say danny green, avery bradley, and mcgee all basically suffered season-ending injuries in november...i'm suddenly open to a move like this in such a desperate scenario. but in the absence of desperation, yeah, absolutely not.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Don’t jinx us.

15. vasashi17

Savs, I'm not going to be insistently advocating Cp3 is our best move...but as a contingency to this summer, I wouldn't have minded it especially when you look at Bron's usage as the primary motivating factor. Aside from Rondo, we don't have a guy that absolutely forces Bron to play weakside or off-ball. Caruso and AvBrad don't really have the pedigree/exposure showing they can carry the load offensively for an entire regular season schedule and in terms of Av, there are injury concerns there as well, so I would go Cp3 in that matchup all-day.

Were the Rox one win away from a Finals berth with Cp3? How close was Harden to accomplishing that before Cp3? Has Blake or DJ done anything without Cp3? Blake couldn't even grab a playoff berth in the lEast with a healthy Drummond and ReggieJax.

Cp3 as a 34min per player last year was Htown's best defensive rated player and knows how to play off ball (via Harden) when Bron decides he wants to play keeper.

Cp3 isn't some trash player. His antics get old and he can't be the leading alpha fjr a winning team, but in terms of bball impact and teaming up with guys (Bron/AD) that are clearly better than his help before, he can help true leaders like Bron get back to a title.

As for Presti..I'm sure dude is cuffed by Clay Bennett some, but this guy disbanded a KD-Russ-Harden-Ibaka team that got to the Finals and essentially lost KD for nothing in return, got an Aquaman for Harden and got Cp3 for Russ. So essentially it was KD/Russ/Harden (3 MVPs) for Cp3/Adams...wow! There was no reason to rapidly ship George to the cLips without getting some feel for the market, especially when George was on a 2 yr deal.

Presti could be much better if he worked for a different owner, but let's not ignore his many mistakes and I haven't even mentioned his Donovan head coaching hire.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I think @abeer3 did...
    "Lebronshame"

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm pretty good at it. just hope harden stays in one piece again.

18. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Iggy, you're next. :LLLLLebronlaughing:

20. sirronstuff

or Melo....

:Shaqfunnyface: