LABron James Discussion: 21st Season - Setting New Standards

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 8, 2017.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yes on George. Yes on another free agent star that wants to play with George. No on James.

Does not = 25 wins.

alam1108, sirronstuff, tada and 3 others like this.
  2. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

George + James = West Finals and a chance to tie C Bags. George + "a star" = 2nd round exit in the West. I want to face and beat Boston before i die... DO IT.

3. LTLakerFan

George plus another true star plus our own stars (Ingram, Ball, maybe Randle, maybe Kuzma) plus the seemingly accepted keep Lopez for additional year cheap and then make it up to him the following few years does not = guaranteed 2nd round exit any more than James and George = legit ring opportunity in those first couple of years. I mentally refuse to just roll over and let the L.A. freaking Lakers become ALL ABOUT LeBron James 24/7 when he's chasing in the twilight of his career and costing us younger talent. My feelings and you are entitled to yours.

4. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

If Lebron signing here means winning #17 and beyond, then sign me up. I'll hold my nose as we hoist the Obrien trophy.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

We (Lakers) are bigger than Bron. Im not worried about him taking us hostage and all this BS. Magic can handle this.

6. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Lol. Thank you! Getting LeBron is like a bottle of grey goose.. Sure you wanted some fine scotch/tequila/whisky but the point is lets get drunk and have some fun.

Dont be the guy thats sober in the corner as im grinding my junk on some trunk and dabbing like Steph curry being silly lol.

7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

This is the key to me... It's very hard for a team to win a championship in it's first year together and LaBron doesn't have many more years left at the top. He's got too many miles on his body with deep playoff runs, and time is undefeated as they say. Also, I don't care if he's never been hurt before, it will probably happen at some time as he gets older. Just look at Kobe.

It takes a year or two to really know you're teammates and gel. LaBron will probably be around 34 or 35 and in decline as our young core starts to rise. Some might see that as the perfect fit in that the young core see how he plays on the court and leads before they take over.

After a few years of jelling, PG will be 29 or 30 and Westbrook will be 30 or 31. I'd rather roll with a tandem of PG and Westbrook with our core because they will have a much bigger window to win after the first year or two of gelling as a team.

Also, after thinking about it, I realized that while LaBron has usually opted for one and done contracts, I don't expect that here. He's a narcissist, but not stupid, so I think he'll probably see LA as his final destination and want to set up his contracts so that he's getting paid insane amounts with a no trade clause, even in a few years when his play won't command his pay rate... and he'll get it. That will hamper our options much more when he's on the tail end of his contract while a player like Westbrook will probably still be valuable to a team as a trade piece by the end of his contract when he's about 32 and I doubt there will be a no trade clause.

alam1108, Weezy, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

It's the MEDIA I'm talking about. Magic's got nothing to do with that. And James with the world always revolving around him invites that. The guy never stops.

alam1108 likes this.
  9. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I hate Lebron, but him and PG13, mixed in with Ball, Ingram, Kuz and B Lopez is a parade.

17... 18.... we pass up the C Bags and you'll never hear me say a bad word about LAbron. But until that happens, I be talking about him. Mind control.

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

If LeBron comes here and wins us #17 and #18 and we pass the C Bags, my hate for him will vanish. That said, I don't believe he will. He will be too old, and coming off of NINE straight Finals trips, with team USA played added in. Father Time is undefeated. I'm with Barns here, our young core isn't going to become championship ready in one season, hell it took Shaq, Kobe, and that crew 4 years to take their lumps and figure it out, and GS will be together as constructed until 2019. Will LeBron make us way better, even Finals contenders if 1 or 2 other stars join him? Yes, and that's good enough for me as long as we don't sell off the future. It has to be Ingram and Ball sticking around to help keep us competitive once LeBron is done, we can't be rebuilding from scorched earth.

11. LTLakerFan

Ingram and Ball sure, that's a given. But how much other really promising young talent will his contract and GM playing to be enticed to sign .... cost us in years 2, 3 and 4? The mortgaging of our future for this guy. Zero contest would rather see it be George's stage to build upon and HIM "coming home to LA" be the story. LeBron's money used to make more talented and deeper roster 1- 12.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

LeBron James is the best player on the planet. You can talk your way out of wanting him on your team, but I won't. Hate be damned. Pride be damned. We've been God awful for 5 years, the worst the team has ever been, and I'm not looking at any gift sideways. We get some rumors of success (not actual success mind you) for one summer and suddenly we're too good for LeBron again? Do you all remember suffering through the slogs of D'Angelo Russell? The Kobe farewell tour? The Metta World Peaces and the Jeremy Lins? We want more of that for a few years or can you swallow your pride and enjoy premium basketball again? LeBron James, Paul George, and Lonzo Ball can all exist on the same court (probably with Ingram and maybe with Lopez as well) and we're not going to do it for the specter or financial issues or worse because we don't like him?

LeBron James makes us immediately competitive. If we've got to give him a max contract, so be it. If we've got to hire one of his friends, so be it. That's the way the game is played these days. Unless you guys would prefer that our big targets go back to being Josh McRoberts, Carlos Boozer, Brandon Bass, or The Caveman? Or even worse Luol Deng and Timofey Mozgov?

Paul George and Westbrook is great. I'd lovingly take that as well. Paul George and... there's nobody else. It's either LeBron and Paul George or it's Westbrook and Paul George and getting either combination would be astounding. We get a few rumors and forget about the embarrassment of our pursuits? Carmelo? Coward? F***ing Aldridge? Culminating in not even getting meetings with top FAs like Durant? The one and only way I turn LeBron away is if he demands the trade of Lonzo Ball and/or Brandon Ingram. Otherwise, what are we giving up exactly? In four years Ingram and Lonzo are only going to be 23 years old, still before their prime. If LeBron hasn't gotten us a ring yet by then, he retires and frees up a lot of money to go chasing another star. Of course, we'll have sunk money into Lopez and George too, but if that trio can't elevate our kids, then to be honest maybe it's on the kids.

And what are we doing with that 35 million if LeBron doesn't want it? If Westbrook doesn't want it? Wasting it on someone else, probably giving it to Randle and Lopez, so then what's the hold up? You'd rather pay Lopez and Randle over LeBron? Even an older LeBron who is still the best player in the game? I'm not buying it. You don't have to like the guy, but if there's any way to get LeBron I'm doing it and I'm not even coming close to regretting it. I'm not coming close to feeling bad about it.

I'll try to keep my mouth shut though because obviously the vast majority of you guys don't share this opinion.

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Well, if Paul George (maybe even a 3rd star or Brook Lopez) is here when LeBron falls off, we're still fine. That's why I say as long as he brings one other star with him long-term, you don't hesitate to sign him on. LeBron brings George while Ball and Ingram grow, and then hopefully those 3 lead to the next star joining, while we draft well and add cheap talent along the way.

I didn't intend to come off as anti-LeBron with my post if I did. While I don't see us winning it all with LeBron and kids, I do see us in contention, which I will take over irrelevance any day. Contention means you have a chance. You're one bad injury to a Durant or Curry away from possibly winning it all.

Kenzo, therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

That's fine. Things across the league and with the Lakers and LeBron and George and Westbrook and the Lakers other young players and the Warriors will be much clearer at the trade deadline.

15. Barnstable

I don't read these posts as LaBron or nothing. I'm reading this as what are our options and what makes the most sense?

If the options are PG and LaBron or PG and Westbrook, I go with PG and Westbrook all day. But I hope no one would look a gift LaBron in the mouth if he just flat out came to the Lakers as a gift.

Of course we all remember the terrible days in the gutter, but I think we can still think there is a better option, IF WESTBROOK WOULD SIGN, and admittedly that's a big if when LaBron seems eager.

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan and Weezy like this.
  16. Barnstable

That's my position too.

I just prefer Westbrook and PG for the reasons stated above.

sirronstuff and Weezy like this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I hope he wants to come here, and we decide to go a different direction. b**** slapped!

If he wins a championship with a third different team, many will jump on the bandwagon of calling him the greatest of all time. I will never think he's the greatest of all time because of his tiny testicles when the game is on the line and wanting other players to take the last shot.

He is a phenomenal player, but he will never be the greatest of all time to me, and I don't like the baggage that he comes with.

I hope the mileage shows up this year, and maybe the injuries start so that we make the obvious decision of going a different direction. I really would rather have an extra year of development with the young squad versus have to watch LeBron on my team.

18. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I'm not against Westbrook and PG13. But that makes Ingram the odd man out. PG13 hates to play PF. Ingram is a little light in the rear to bang down low. With Bron, he can play the PF position much like Draymond. And I like Kuzma as our stretch 4 off the bench, but I'm not sure I want to rely on him getting a key rebound or stop as a rookie.

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Dude... Is it homer talk to think Lebron and Westbrook are f***ing sick of the Warriors and will figure it out to make it work for atleast one year with George then play it by ear?

God that would be the most insane year of NBA history.

lakerjones likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Speculation is fun, but so much can happen in one year, so I'll wait til then to speculate. Until then it's really kind of a waste of time. Still nice to have something to talk about though.