Kyle Kuzma Discussion: Wizard

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 22, 2017.

1. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Wrong. Most of us recognize him as a role player who is paid as such. It’s the fans who ask and expect him to be the 3rd star that are disappointed. Your expectations are not in line with his pay. If we was averaging 18-20ppg while playing good D, has contract would have doubled.

tada, Pioneer10, Barnstable and 4 others like this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Kuzma has done a FANTASTIC job this year. He's improved his D, he's had some terrific scoring outings filling in big minutes with AD out, he's improved his playmaking immensely, and he's been smarter and much better all around as a teammate.

Yeah, he had a crap game last night, but it happens. As mentioned - on the contract he has he's a good value young player with some more upside. I don't really get the hate at all. I think it has something to do with the extracurriculars and the fashions/hairstyles but I don't care about that stuff one bit.

tada, SamsonMiodek, Pioneer10 and 3 others like this.
  3. Kawan

Kawan - Rookie -

It is not hate. He is too inconsistent. His whole career now. I have never seen a player go from 25 points to 2 points the next game more then Kuz. All I ask for consistency. If he gave us 14 or 16 per night, I would be happy. He has had his chance to really step up since Lebron and AD was out, but too often, it never happens.

4. lakerjones

He has also been playing with a sprained thumb for a week now.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  5. wallangong

If Kuz gave 14-16 per night while playing good defense, then he’s worth at least $18M per year (see OG Anunoby). Buddy Hield is making $20M+ to score 16 ppg while shooting 40% and doing little else. Luke Kennard is getting $16M. I could go on, but I think that’s enough.

The point is, what you are asking for would cost far more than what Kuz will be paid. He’s still only at $3.5M this year.

lakerjones, Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I wasn’t saying he didn’t have a bad game, because he did, nor that he’s above criticism, because he’s not. My point was the “trade him he sucks and he’s stupid”, and “he’s a waste because he’ll never be a 3rd option” stuff was way over the top for a few bad games. We’ve seen this from Kuz before, but he delivered last year at some key times and he has a bargain contract, so I still have faith in him.

7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

It's not his contract, it's his game and the minutes he gets. True if he were overpaid, the noise would be louder surrounding him. If it was just about the money, I don't see why anyone would complain about Drummond, the Lakers are only paying him 800K.

8. wallangong

You said he was overrated. Not true. He’s been the message board punching bag for a while, despite showing a lot of growth this year and showing great value for his contract. You also implied he doesn’t play D. Again, I would argue strongly against that.

we literally have people calling him trash and saying we need to trade him. Not really sure how he could be overrated.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  9. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Unfortunately we may not have to worry about Kuzma’s next game performance. When will this bad luck stop?

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's good luck! the concession stand operators can fill in as improvements.

our team and all of its players (except lebron i think?) are very bad.

Juronimo, Barnstable and Cookie like this.
  11. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This actually makes sense: his shot just didn't look like this normal form at all.
    Yeah he had a bad game at the wrong time but overall he's been good this year.

Too bad we may never see what this roster is capable of: lots of guys who fit well together. Should have been a sum greater then the parts but the short turnaround time and Covid ate the cookie

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  12. Slick2021

He's overrated for the minutes he plays. What growth has he shown? Kuz still can't guard a parked car, that can be acceptable if he was more consistent with his scoring. He showed some promise at one time, he used to hit all types of runners and floaters. Now he only jack's up threes mostly. I don't think he really fits with AD and Lebron, he would do better somewhere that would give him a green light to shoot more. His numbers would be better, but he won't be efficient, and affect that team's winning percentage IMO. On his rookie deal he was a great bargain, at 13million though, he and KCP make a nice trade package. He is not trash, he might find a better fit somewhere else. 26 million dollars and a draft pick can bring in a higher caliber player.

13. wallangong

No growth? I’ll just say I disagree with almost every word in your post and be done with this.

Barnstable, tada, abeer3 and 5 others like this.
  14. lakerjones

Yeah, I feel like I've watched a completely different player all year long than that assessment. I couldn't disagree with it more.

tada, abeer3, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  15. Slick2021

Point out the growth. How did this growth make this team better? What metric can you find, that says that Kyle's "growth" has made this team better in comparison to his performance last season.

16. Slick2021

I ask you to produce the same evidence of such, that I asked of wallangong. How is this " growth " making our team better?

17. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Right back at you. Define "making our team better". Then define how are you planning to isolate a single player's impact. Then we'll talk.

I've seen the games. All of them. Several times on many occasions. I see the growth. You want to quantify it? Fine. See above.

18. Kawan

Kawan - Rookie -

I wish that growth would turn into consistancy. He may fit better on another team. Look at Clarkson's now.

19. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Kuz showed incredible promise and potential as a scorer in his rookie year

2021 he has gotten better defensively, rebounding and even his passing. There's been many games he's stepped up. Unfortunately he's cold right now.

He needs to lay off the social media and that sisqo hairstyle. The first 2 months he was our most reliable and dependable player.

Kawan, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

burden of proof is on the outlandish, unshared claim.

lakerjones likes this.