Jeanie Buss Discussion: Jeanie Mohr?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by alam1108, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

No one has posted this model franchise, that's won all these chips, without having healthy superstars yet either. Even Dr. Buss the GOAT of owners.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Good God.
    There have been numerous blunders on Jeanie’s part that had absolutely NOTHING to do with injuries.
    You can’t just use “injuries” to cover over every single problem with this Franchise.

Juronimo and Cookie like this.
  3. Slick2021

And you can't point to any team that won a chip, without thier best players available for the the season and the playoffs.
    The NBA has been in existence for 75 years. Point those teams out then.

Now Jeannie isn't perfect, I agree but her father wasn't either. This current pairing of stars we have with Lebron and AD tho?..it's the injuries trumping EVERYTHING else.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Every team faces injuries. Having depth helps with that, it helps you stay competitive. I do not like referencing the Clippers, because they haven’t won s***, but they’ve barely had Kawhi ever, and barely him or PG at all this season and they’re currently 19-14 and 5th in the West, because they have depth. It’s just one example though, there’s many more, the Nuggets missed Murray for a long time and were a competitive playoff team.

For me the championship or bust mentality is what is hurting this franchise. Yes, the goal is championship, but you can’t just make a title team out of nowhere in most cases, it takes some building and continuity to get there, and Jeanie and our FO don’t seem to get that. Even the 2020 title team had multiple key returning players, it wasn’t that we just got AD and won, it was that we added AD to what we had been building. You need to be competitive before you win a title, you need playoff runs, you need to build chemistry, a lot of times you need playoff failure first. We have none of that, we’re building a roster of minimums every season with extreme amounts of turnover all while waiting on Durant or Bradley Beal or some nonsense, completely neglecting team building.

Again, the Clippers, tons of continuity, you’d have to think if they had their stars healthy or swapped out Kawhi for a different star that their title chances would be huge, because that roster has been playing together for a while and is deep, it’s had some tests already, it just needs that last thing to put it over the top. We aren’t even CLOSE to that. And we never will be if we keep operating this way, it’ll just be like 8 new players or so next season.

5. FrontOfJersey22

No they do not. They do not give an excuse for dismantling the Championship Team nor do they excuse all of the awful personnel decisions that have been made over the past three years.

6. Slick2021

It's a forever round and round. We weren't going win anything with AD and Lebron injuries period. If we kept the players you like or not. I did expect Anthony to have a big season this campaign, but we are back into a familiar spot on the injury front at the moment. I think this team is better than others think. We'll see...I'm definitely not into burn it down, Jeannie needs to sell the team mode.

7. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

After Lebron passes Kareem, she needs to sell the team.

Lakers can go for $10 Bill and maybe she can get $700-$800 mil out of this.

Go enjoy the next stage of your life Jeanie. Put yourself and the fans out of this misery

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

curry's missed 20 games each of the past couple years without gs being a dumpster fire. they even won a ring last year after it. and it's not just about rings; it's about having a competitive product on the floor.

irving's missed 1/3 of bkn's games this year, and they're in 4th place after a bad start. AD's played in more games than irving, for example.

but we have to spot 8 losses because our entire brand new team doesn't know how to play with each other and has a new coach because the last coach also had a brand new team full of vet mins that had to lose while they figured stuff out.

it's not JUST the three stars, it's the complete roster turnover and lack of mid-tier players on the roster. even the other star-laden teams have more expensive support players who carry over from year to year.

9. Weezy

Role players don’t matter, that’s why that 2020 team of LeBron, AD, and all role players won the title and went 57-0 with a lead going into the 4th that somebody keeps referencing. But yeah role players are just interchangeable NPCs.

10. FrontOfJersey22

They are in a make believe world.

432J, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and JSM like this.
  11. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I think someone on twitter put this out there and I think i'ts correct:
    AD/Lebron/management freaked out when Harden when to Brooklyn. I think everyone forgets how frightening that seemed to the rest of the league at that time: Brooklyn not only had 3 stars they had good role players.

You throw in the hope Westbrook would be good enough to let AD/Lebron rest up during the regular season. It is what it is.

If Solomon Hill didn't fall into Lebrons ankle this team is very likely coming out with a 2 or even 3 peat but history is funny like that (they destroyed Phoenix before AD got hurt)

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Weezy

Magic may not be the best at personnel moves, but he doesn’t seem like an idiot or a liar

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Eff Magic and his chosen method of exit and deliberate sabotage that year.

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  14. Weezy

Did he say anything untrue? And was it sabotage or did he leave to send a message as well, that he didn’t want to work with how things were run, with the snake doing stuff behind his back and putting bad stuff about him out to the press? Magic is a candid person, I don’t see why what he said here shouldn’t be viewed as insight into why this FO is still not working at putting out a competent team. I’d have left too if people were in undermining moves I wanted to make behind my back, if I were president of basketball operations in name only.

15. LTLakerFan

You’re conveniently overlooking him starting the problems with not being available in a consistently timely manner to get things done that Rob was tasked with. And who did Rob finally grouse about it to? Was it someone in house that went to Magic and told him, or do you have reports saying it was some known person in the press? Asking? Doesn’t excuse his deliberate bad mouthing on National shows throughout the most important off season since forever including through the very day of Vogel’s press conference.

And admittedly it’s just me still blowing off steam at him for that year. Did not watch the above.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Weezy

Watch the above then. I’m not excusing Magic, but it’s striking how correct he was here 3 years ago. I GET it now, he went on not only because he’s Magic and he likes to hear himself talk, but clearly because he was upset seeing his team run this way and seeing Jeanie being pulled in many directions by people craving more power. Nothing has changed. Again, I’m not defending magic, you’re missing the point, it’s that his message here is very interesting with years of hindsight. Zero to do with how he did his job, all to do with the peel he gave into the organization here.

17. LTLakerFan

OK you and I understand each other … thanks.

Since Jeanie in spite of all that 3 years ago still feels close enough to him to still have the occasional lunch and guidance conversations …. I would hope he is telling HER all this stuff directly. (still haven’t seen clip)

abeer3 likes this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

They both can be right here. Magic can be right about the “too many cooks” problem as well as Rob being a snake. Rob can be right about Magic’s piss poor work ethic. All I know for sure is that Jeanie hired both and needs to be replaced before we can become a great Franchise again.

432J likes this.
  19. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. We can not like how he left and acknowledge some of the things he said were on point.

I was never in favor of the hire as I wanted us to really bring in some top notch execs and leave Magic in a recruiting role but this is true. You need a guy who you trust to make the tough calls and steer the direction of the franchise. Everyone should have clearly defined roles and responsibilities.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

This.

Though, I gotta be honest. I kinda feel like Jeannie knew she wasn’t getting a grinder and was okay with and that’s part of why a magic got so mad. Definitely speculation from me though.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.