Jay Huff Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 4, 2022.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Jay Huff, it was announced today. Huff appeared in 28 regular season games (all starts) for the South Bay Lakers last season, averaging 15.7 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 2.4 blocks while shooting 64.1 percent from the field.Jul 27, 2022

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/lakers-sign-jay-huff-072622

I don't think this is new, but it's the first I seen this, lol.

Can somebody clarify?

2. LaVarBallsDad

abeer3 likes this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Our 2-way guys are currently Swider and Pippen Jr, and yeah Huff is right now on a training camp deal. I don’t think we’re going to sign him, or anyone else with the 15th spot, I think it’s left open for a Russ trade, 2 for 1, someone may even have to be waived if it’s a 3 for 1. It’s a shame though, I’d like to see what Huff has to offer in preseason games and he even play. He could be super solid and have developed to the point where he’s ready for the league, or he could be a career G-Leaguer, we don’t know and won’t know if he doesn’t get a shot. It’s possible they’re hiding him so another team doesn’t steal him as well, but that’s gonna happen if they don’t decide anyway I’d think.

abeer3, JSM and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

So, if this is the case, we're not getting rid of Pippen Junior; why not just give Swider a roster spot and convert the Exhibit 10 deal to a 2 way to Huff?

5. LaVarBallsDad

Didn't even think of that 2 for 1 trade scenario. Yeah, he might be left out. Ugh.

6. Weezy

I don’t know that they want to give Swider a full roster spot. I don’t know that he’s worthy of it either, he’s only played summer league and 1 preseason game. I would hope they know what they’re doing with Huff, but even if he IS put on a 2-way contract I believe another team can still come in an offer him an actual contract.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

S***. Swider is going to be here for the duration of the year.

We need the shooting and he'll likely get regular season minutes, IMO.

That said, disappointed with Huff. Hope he gets some time tomorrow.

abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  8. Weezy

You’re probably right, it just pains me to think that our FO’s solution to our shooting issues is a 2-way player, same as it pained me that they stumbled into Reaves in training camp last season and he ended up one of our best players. We should not be relying on those type of players this heavily. But yes, regarding Huff I really want to see what we have with him, personally I keep him and Swider on 2-way deals if we can, if someone has to go I’m fine with it being Pippen Jr, you can find plenty of small guards, not so easily skilled 7 footers.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't see why we don't just use the last roster spot. if a great trade comes along that requires a spot or somebody amazing is bought out, you just cut the guy.

it's purely about $$.

Barnstable and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  10. Weezy

You answered it, money. I believe I heard or read signing a 15th player to the vet minimum would actually cost them 7 mil because of taxes. So it really needs to be worth it I guess? Though I also guess signing one of these G-League players would be a lot cheaper if their salary is around 1 mil.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    The year we signed Trez to the full MLE and were hard capped, signing additional veteran minimums to guaranteed contracts was actually a big deal.

With only a small amount of breathing room under the hard cap, my understanding is that once you sign a guaranteed contract, that’s it. Even if you cut the player later, their guaranteed money still fully counts towards the hard cap which would really limit your flexibility in other deals.

IIRC we were at the razor’s edge of the hard cap and could only sign Drummond because it was so late in the season that his pro-rated contract fit within the hard cap. That’s why after Damian Jones 10 day contracts expired, we couldn’t just sign him for the rest of the year and plan on cutting him later if a buyout target emerged.

Without a hard cap though, it really only affects ownership’s wallet. Sure maybe it’s a larger hit due to luxury tax, but it doesn’t affect your flexibility. You can always cut a player to open up a roster spot later if needed.

I honestly haven’t been paying attention to get what all the hype around Huff is. But if our basketball ops think highly of him, but we end up losing out on him because we’re worried about the money that would be wasted if we end up having to cut him for a better player down the line, that would be egregious.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see Huff play some tonight even if it was garbage time.

13. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

With our big situation being what it is I'm pulling Huff out of the mothballs. Surely sitting with two wins it can't hurt to give him some burn. I don't mean five minutes so we can all say he sucks when he doesn't play like a HOF. Give the guy a few games with significant minutes and let AD play the four. I'm prepared. I know he isn't in the pecking order and some will feel he hasn't paid his dues and it will offend the vets, but we need a center. Unless we want to play Wenyen at the five Jay is our guy.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

roster's full, and is huff too old to get a two-way? i advocated after summer league to dump pippen or swider for huff, but it may not have been possible.

15. Toklat

I'm guessing they could make it happen if they wanted to. I will admit I make no attempt to keep up on how cutting and signing players work. I just know they always say it can't be done till they want to do it and then it happens. We have such a need that his skill set fits. Jones is having a hard time with the third stringers at the end of games. It was a mistake to not keep him on the roster. He had a couple bad outings and all the good he had shown went out the window.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i mean, it can be done. we just have to cut someone. all of our salary slots are full.

17. Toklat

Now that we have an open roster spot we should take a look at Huff. I know we need a wing also but I don't know who that would be and we can possibly pull that off in a trade.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

my hope is that the ny deal is bev/nunn/jones for fournier/reddish, and we can give a spot to huff as the utility center.

Toklat, TIME, lakerjones and 4 others like this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Sure, that sounds very reasonable.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I’m good with that too.