JaVale McGee Discussion: Sun

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by JLaker17, Jul 1, 2018.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Sorry Vash but Javale ^^^ is no scrub or unwise use of cap space in going for a ring the next two years.

SFGOLDRUSHER and Toklat like this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I'm sorry LT, but you misinterpreted what I said.

I never called him a scrub...I called him a journeyman (dude played for 6 teams in his 11 seasons).

I also expressed concern with our frontline depth. We know the issue with Boogz and I certainly hope health will be on his side this season, but if not we're looking at just McGee, Dudz and Kuz backing up Bron (who ideally should be spared unnecessary run till the postseason) and AD (who prefers to play the 4).

McGee has avg'd 17mins per for his 11 yr career. He was most successful playing short bursts with the dubs in avg 9mins for those back to back title winning teams during the regular season and about 10.5mins during the postseason.

As for cap space, he was only rumored to be a vet min target by Houston who ended up giving that offer to TyChandler. It looks like Htown is preserving the rest of their MLE (~5m) to give to Iggy if/when he gets bought out. So giving 4m to McGee when we could have preserved that space and offered him close to a 2.7m vet min is kind of wild.

What could we have done with that 4m in cap space? How about make Gayle Benson pay that full 15% trade kicker and by doing that we unlock a 30%max extension for AD. It sure looks like Klutch is open to signing those type of extension based deals (see Bledsoe and recently Dray).

This way we avoid all the tabloid journalism antics that will inevitably be made this season of AD leaving for NY next summer.

I like Javale, but I rather use that 4m in cap to avoid all the clickery the media will be baiting the public with.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Vash, you’re assuming a notorious cheap owner was ever going to pay the trade kicker. She could have easily told AD and Klutch that she would trade him to his desired trade destination but he had to give up his trade kicker. It was just announced at a later date to look like it was all AD idea. I’m more prone to believing this.

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Actually a trade kicker is created to protect the player from getting traded to an undesirable destination. Benson had no choice on whether AD would activate it or not. I'm pretty certain he would not waive it under any circumstance if he was traded anywhere other than LA or NY.

Plus if Benson really wanted to bypass paying AD the extra 4m with an activated kicker, then we could have traded 3m more in cash of the 5.6m teams are given each year to trade with.

Fyi: in the AD trade we did include 1m in cash that headed to Nawlins. So for this calendar year, we have 4.6m remaining in cash to trade. The 2.2m we used to trade for the THT pick was made during the draft, so that was considered cash from last season's allotted amount.

Cookie likes this.
  5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think mcgee is as valuable as iggy at this point, tbh. maybe not in the playoffs. but we missed those last year.

SFGOLDRUSHER, JSM, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He was playing at an all star level last year until he got the freaking whooping cough or whatever.

:Tabarnak:

8. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Well with the injury to Boogie, this signing became a heckuvalot more valuable. He'll prove to be a steal at his salary, just like last season.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He is going to be a beast as long as he's healthy.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Until his asthma kicks in.

But at least we can run Kuzma at Center since AD and Bron are p****** and don't want to play positions fitting of their size.

tada, alam1108, SFGOLDRUSHER and 2 others like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we are going to need someone to backup McGee now for sure.

12. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    I'm banking on healthy, motivated, pick&roll special with LeBron McGee.

IMO, before his asthma, he was looking good(when LeBron was healthy as well), then went in a slump(trade rumor SZN) but finished solid right?

As far as a backup goes... whatever we think is better out of Noah/Howard is chill with me.
    AD will play a lot of small ball 5 IMO, so not TOO worried.

BadCoaching likes this.
  13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

He should visit Norway. Get some tips from their athletes (cross country skiers mostly) or some cyclists. 95% of these f***ers have "asthma"...

14. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

McGee is crucial this year. Absolutely crucial.

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If it was any other team, we'd say the fans and the team were setting themselves up for failure by relying on him so much

He's never proven he can carry the load that we need. Ever.

Kenzo, Alcindor and Barnstable like this.
  16. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Yeah McGee’s a solid player that can’t play big minutes. I’m really worried for our center rotation without Boogie.

17. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

He got sick with pneumonia last season and battled it for sometime. I don't think trade rumors effected him, he was pretty safe from the chopping block, one of our better players. He managed 22.3 mins for us last year and he was eased back into the lineup after being sick so I think he would have been a 25min guy avg if no illness.

Sill pneumonia, asthma those things are a concern he's just a sickly person. Really a job for nutritionists and team docs to work out. I think his body has been fairly solid otherwise I remember he broke a leg about 6 years ago. I think if he can lick the illness thing he'll do 27-28 mins a game AD can help lighten the load by covering quicker bigs.

I also think AD can help on more productive bigs like Embid, Jokic etc, a double team of any two of AD, McGee and LBJ should be effective and believe it or not I do think Kuz has and will develop a knack on help D. I'm not saying he will be Lonzo, but I think his help D will improve.

The most important player on the team this year is Judy Seto and Co/Health.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Stick an oxygen tank under his seat on the bench.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

If McGee plays anything like he did the first 2 months of the season...the league is going to be in trouble.

If you guys remember...McGee/LeBron were among the BEST duos in the LEAGUE for those first 2 months. We just need to manage his minutes and that's where Kuzma is going to be key...stagger AD/McGee/Kuz minutes at the 4/5 much like we did with Pau/Bynum/Odom.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I really think he could benefit the most from the addition of AD. The level of attention AD commands, McGee should have an option for a lob every single possession they're on the court together for.

Playing with a top 5 player is going to make everyone's life easier. If McGee stays healthy and we can get him a little help to keep the minutes down, I'm expecting a monster year out of him.

abeer3, SFGOLDRUSHER, Cookie and 2 others like this.