Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

No...it looks like something that the US Court will deem as frivolous for the lack of a better word. If it makes them look bad I say Thomas should go for it.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I’m wondering if there is an insurance angle that we don’t know about. Maybe there is a payout that he can pursue especially because he is on the ledge of being out of the league. You can argue the that his injury, or the severity of it, was related to playing in Boston ‘s playoff run and maybe it prevented him from getting a market level contract for his experience, performance, skill level.

I’d be curious to know if they gave him assurances or led him to believe that they would take care of him if he continued to sacrifice his body during Boston’s playoff run.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.
  3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

This should be a clear as day sign for Kyrie NOT to stay with Boston because they will NOT look out for him if he gets injured.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030

[​IMG]

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    He later apologized but ya, not a good look for a guy looking to get paid in the future from a team. Doesn't have to be Cleveland I can see owners/executives not being okay with this.

8. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Stay classy, Boston!

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

The C Bags used him up and tossed him away, even after he gave all he had in the wake of the death of his sister. You could say they did him a favor trading him to a Finals team, but they only did it because they weren’t going to pay him and because the trade benefited them more. He’s a cautionary tale now, never give your all to a franchise that has no conscience. One that clearly helped Kawhi out big time and stopped him from possibly making the same mistake, doing what was best for his long term future instead of giving into his coach’s sour words and his teammates hate/calling him out. Isaiah will never get that big money deal now, he’ll be lucky to stick around on minimum contracts until he can’t go anymore, at his size you cannot be effective without all the speed and athleticism to make up for the lack of height.

ZenMaster and abeer3 like this.
  11. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    He is done. But I'm surprised it went this quick.

I'm also not blaming Boston. They made the right move obviously. Otherwise they would have been screwed for 5 years with a radio active contract.

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you mean by letting him play on a severely injured hip? yeah, sure.

"right" doesn't just mean correct move for finances and franchise health. it can also refer to ethics and morality. they knew he was hurt and should have held him out. but because they also knew they had no intention of keeping him, they didn't care about his long-term health.

should he have cared more? absolutely! but he would have been vilified in the press (and probably the locker room) for sitting out the playoffs, so he was pretty screwed either way.

KB24 likes this.
  13. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    That's exactly the point imo.

If his longtime health was at risk, he shouldn't have played. He was screwed either way.

I do understand that Boston didn't act with morale but my point is that the FO is getting paid to have the best team possible. Of course they don't care about the individual.

Every person always talks about this being a business but when it hits them, they can't cope with it. I do understand that these people are humans who have feelings regardless of their wealth. But I do think that when you get paid millions that's part of the pain. The only thing these guys must take care of is health. If they are not doing that, I can't blame anyone else.

Talking too much about morale is probably a little over the board. The guy is rich, has a beautiful wife and he is healthy. It's not like he is sitting on the street or suffering from a physical handicap. He is not screwed. He just won't be an NBA superstar anymore.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, and if boston overpaid him or lost in the playoffs because he sat, their owner would still be a billionaire and their uniforms would still be green. i don't get your point, tbh.

one party sacrificed for the benefit of the other, and the other party did not even consider reciprocating in any way.

if we start excising morality from everything, the world becomes a pretty sad place.

saying that the party that sacrificed is just stupid...i don't know about that.

but if that's the tact, then i expect you won't throw stones at guys who choose to rest to save themselves for future contracts and such. or players who demand trades to preferred destinations. i mean, they're just gettin' theirs. it's stupid not to.

Juronimo likes this.
  15. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    My point is that Isiah is responsible for his health not necessarily Boston. His capital is his health. It's easy to say Boston should have kept him bug honestly, we don't know what went on behind the scenes.

Also I don't know if Boston pushed him to play. I think he might have decided himself. I also think back then it wasn't believed to be this bad. He wasn't supposed to be done.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

if boston planned on keeping him long-term, they would have held him out. at the time, i remember my dad saying: that's the bo jackson injury--why's he playing? but boston knew they were never going to pay him, so they let him make the emotional decision. and again, had he sat, he would have been vilified by pretty much everyone, called physically or mentally weak, and this would have been used as justification not to pay him (which was definitely a front burner issue for him (brinks truck)).

so yeah, boston definitely had a role. there's a reason anthony davis's dad said he wouldn't want his son to play there, and it's not because they're admirably shrewd businessmen. it's because they've done some slimy stuff.

Weezy likes this.
  17. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
  18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I guess we needed another undersized scoring guard

19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

KILL ME NOW. Most here know my stance on the midget :(

20. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me this is a joke!