Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

At the end of the day he has made his superstars shine and made it easy on offense for them...Marion, Amare, Nash, Melo, Harden, Westbrook, CP3. You can make a fair criticism that he completely ignores the defensive end and he could use some help in that area.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don’t think MDA is the answer … ever, lol! But something might have to give soon. Not sure how much rope Vogel is going to get after tonight’s debacle. This wasn’t ok. And why didn’t he play Reaves?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. The Rock

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

The problem is that the Lakers had the top ranked defense in the NBA without AD, then without Lebron and AD too. That's a fact. The defense stuff isn't enough. Another fact. You have to be functional on offense too in order to win big in this league. As for the bubble, we won, everybody deserves credit for that, a chip is a chip. Was it all because of our great defense? I don't think so, we only lost 1 game in each Western Conference series and nobody could match up with the Lebron/AD combo IMO.
    We get beat up on the boards and folks are screaming about guys not playing defense. Well if you are trying to play small against teams that put size on the floor, you might just have a problem with rebounding and defending taller players. Ironically the same thing teams learned from playing the Lakers in the bubble. I don't think the AD at 5 thing works, it is effective at times, but teams put size on the floor against us and it reduces it's impact IMO. The other teams are going to adjust to what you do, their coaches are coaching for their jobs too. Yes We have injuries and new players adjusting issues...I'm with you, however Frank hasn't utilized all the tools at his disposal correctly either. The same as last season. You have two bigs, play them more, why on earth, have we decided that we are going to be the best small ball team in the NBA? That's where the lost identity is coming from, on offense and defense, that's on Vogel. That's my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Would you can Vogel a third through this season and hand it to Fizdale, who’s a lesser coach by all appearances? A guy who’s being paid to contribute his ideas as an assistant if he has anything of value? If there’s a better coach we’re not going to come up with him by firing Vogel now, who’s still waiting for a full roster, such as what was assembled. LeBron does what he wants on the floor with anyone coaching. Russ seems to be doing the adjusting needed as you have expected. And DJ as one of the other bugs really only seems useful for occasional lobs. Should Dwight start, and play more minutes when he seems best coming off the bench at his age? But everyone’s calling for Vogel’s head. I agree guys played too long from 4th quarter through the 3 overtimes.

Helljumper likes this.
  6. Slick2021

I don't have the magic answer for WHO the coach should be. It's is really starting to look like Fank isn't the answer though. His rotation decisions are killing us, and he's doing it at the wrong times. He seems to be unable to get it for some reason. Bagley changed the game with his energy and fresh legs in the 4th IMO. Dwight is more suited to handle a true big than Melo. They had a 7 footer in Len on the court at the same time. That was just inexcusable, he's been making quirky rotations like this all season, as if he doesn't really care what the other teams are doing. We should get better once all the guys are available, but I'm starting to worry if Frank is going to pick the right players then too. He said...It's all about defense moving forward, but Melo and Monk are playing 40 plus minutes?

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  7. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Vogel will likely be fired and I hate that. But at the end of the day someone has to be the fall guy for Rob, Lebron and AD’s roster eff ups.

BigDan24 and Cookie like this.
  8. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

:Kobedisbelief::Kobe Speechless:

9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Vogel has to help himself. This was another bad loss. And slowly but surely everyone is catching on to the poor offense, bad rotations, etc that many of us have been harping on for weeks.

TIME and lakerjones like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Vogel is going to get fired before Christmas and Rondo gets promoted to head coach

Barnstable and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

I joked about it, but I’m worried they would hire Fisher or Rambis.

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Losses like this get coaches fired. If we lose to Detroit or the Kings again, that might be it. It's really unfortunate. He deserved better and is a bad look on this organization for giving him such a ill-fitting roster with no forwards or defense.

f*** no to MDA. Russ and Melo will walk out. If we're going for bad out of work coaches, I'd rather have Mark Jackson

14. Slick2021

Mark Jackson? MDA? No and No way.

lakerjones, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what the answer is, but this can't be Vogel's offensive and defensive plan.

alam1108, Cookie, Barnstable and 2 others like this.
  16. The Rock

Coaching is a problem when you trot out poor lineups and rotations that continue to suck like this

TIME, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Well, apparently, Bradley is the second coming of Michael Cooper and Frank likes to stay big.

How did I know this would be a problem ?

18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well since it’s the fad from you guys to post all negative on-line smart guy takes about how bad Frank is, don’t forget that there’s also been the ones hammering how bad we suck at rebounding with AD at the 5 and are getting killed by size with no big (defensive) wings besides LeBron, and that at the point of attack with Reaves out, Bradley is still our best point defender after losing KCP, Caruso and whatever Schroder gave us trying to be decent at it like Bradley. And that DJ was the other Big this year the FO brought in to pair with Dwight who’s best off the bench ….. and that Rock lost all credibility championing bringing back 70 years old knows no defense or anyone over 6’8” he likes …. Mike effing D’antoni.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

wait...bring back dantoni? are we just trying to actively re-create 2012? when coaching wasn't the problem.

i'm sorry, this isn't junior high. nba coaches aren't motivators. if i'm in a room with a bunch of vets who simply aren't putting in the effort, i'm not sure what exactly i'd say or do as the nominal leader of the group. you can't hold any of the stars accountable either verbally or by sitting them--in part because the rest of the roster is full-on vet mins and you'll get out-talented even if you have people who want to play.

no coach will solve this current roster, despite the internet smart guys' seeming insistence.