Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we know this because lue has been so successful in his coaching career?

maybe we didn't offer 5 years to a guy who we thought could get fired much sooner than that? didn't see anyone else offering him 5 years at a high price tag to lead them to glory. or to zero non-lebron coaching victories.

i find your confidence in his ability to get us blowouts instead of just wins a bit dubious, in other words. it's just as likely that he'd manufacture those opportunities by playing AD at center and running pick and roll every play. would that be good...or bad?

lakerjones likes this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'm beyond over not hiring Lue. Yes, I also thought Lue and Vogel would be a perfect combo of offensive and defensive minded coaches but Lue seemed dead set about his contract length and price and Vogel has turned out very well for us thus far. Vogel might not have come here to play second fiddle either.

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Lue had Tristan and Love along with Bron on the frontline. TT ain’t some stretch 5 either. So no need for AD to play the 5 if that’s not what makes him comfortable.

Lue to this team made sense...cause Bron on the squad. Why not milk that proven connection while we still can. It’s like having a team with Kobe/Pau and passing up Phil for MDA...da f***?!?

Cavs
    2014/15 (as head asst coach): top 4 offrtg
    https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular Season

15/16 (when he took over as HC) and 16/17: top 3 offrtg

17/18 (without Ky and essentially without Love): top 5 offrtg

18/19 (no Bron, no Love for 2 of the first 6 games, 3 roadies and faced 4 teams that made the playoffs that year): still 22nd in offrtg

Anyways, throwing an extra 12m at Lue (3yrs 18m vs 5yrs 30m) was something that had to be done...klutch tax remember ...gotta keep me those klients happy, right?

Anyways congrats Vogs...but do better on offense, cause the way we going, that klutch reform bill will kick in...with Bron being taxed.

[​IMG]

4. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Tyronne Lue coaching plan:

1) Set alarm.
    2) Make sure LeBron wakes up.
    3) Give LeBron the ball.
    4) Stand and look stupid when LeBron gets upset.

tada, LTLakerFan, alam1108 and 5 others like this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think it will be more fair to formulate an opinion on Lue after he has been a head coach in an additional location not coaching LeBron.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Vogel has been very good so far .

His message is simple and clear and his in game decisions have been solid

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Pretty much what I saw too.

8. OX1947

Vogel is a defensive coach. Not a surprise the Lakers have become a defensive team. Lue did the Lakers a huge favor. Lakers got the better coach.

9. vasashi17

You do understand we could have had both. I mean folks understand that, right? Vogs was pegged to be Lue’s top aide and if those health problems resurfaced again, Vogs would take the chair.

I would take defense all the time, but with a more efficient offense, the defensive side gets that much more legs willing to put in the extra effort. Bizarre that some of you can’t make that correlation.

Till then, concern for running Bron into the ground is a legit one. Our offense isn’t as efficient as it should be and Bron is clearly going above and beyond to make up for it.

Look where Bron stands among these young boys... Vogs may have those calves, but Bron is “running” his offense.

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed-distance/?sort=DIST_MILES_OFF&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Totals&CF=GP*LE*21

Meanwhile Lue’s Cavs had Bron running less.

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed-distance/?sort=DIST_MILES_OFF&dir=1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&CF=GP*LE*21&PerMode=Totals

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  10. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Dude can you please just stop? You have literally been pushign this agenda since the summer to prove that you are somehow right about the Lakers and how they messed up in free agency or they messed up in their coaching search because they lacked "finesse". I'm sorry man but we're 18-3, and maybe win it all, maybe we don't. But start giving some god damn credit and stop complaining about hwo we coulda had both or we coulda had 18 first round picks with salary dumps or we could have kept "depth" with Wagner/Bonga/JJ or we coulda had this or that.

Just enjoy the season man - we've sucked for years and we can finally enjoy this team. You seem to keep pushing your own agenda and sometimes I feel like you hope we lose a few games here and there so you can prove a point about how we messed up by not having Lue? Stop it man.

11. vasashi17

And what’s your agenda? Running Bron into the ground. Y’all conveniently Dodging that scenario with 18-3.

My agenda: best chance at hardware...not 74+ regular season wins.

#IfYouDontKnowNowYouKnow

Keep rehashing my agenda tho. Cause when it comes to hoops, y’all see the same thing I do. You just hoping for the best.

Instead of hoping to avoid a misstep, Vogs/coaching staff need to make the offense either more efficient or have Bron play more off ball. If you sincerely are interested in making it into June, I don’t understand how anybody can refute that right now. Unless y’all have an agenda.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

This is a nice design...

13. vasashi17

[​IMG]

I guess that’s one way to make the offense more efficient and not have to rely on Bron for a change.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. OX1947

Meh. Not a Lue fan. Overrated and not a Lue fan. I like Vogel as the guy with hollins and kidd. Sorry. This set up is better.

15. OX1947

What fab said. Lue almost had a heart attack in Cleveland. IN CLEVELAND. Where pressure is weak and wins are appreciated.

The Lakers are a top 5 team on THE PLANET. Lakers went 17-3 on Sunday and the discussion was, will the lakers lose 2 in a row?!!

Pressure in LA and being on the Lakers is, in my opinion, even more than the Yankees. Even more than the Cowboys. Laker fandom would never put up with a Jason Garrett or anything close to the tolerance Jerry Jones allows.

Lakerdom spray painted over Lebron TWICE! The guy who was gonna turn everything around was hated.

Vogel was free throws away from beating a good Miami team and Lebron in his prime with Hibbert and PG in 2013. He can coach and he coaches defense that I've been saying is extremely important to neutralize what the NBA is now and that's the 3 point line.

If you watch the Lakers D last night, they were guarding the 3 amazingly after the Nuggets were hitting a few. AD killed any chance of Jokic hitting from outside, and made him play big boy ball. Blazers beat the nuggets last year in the same way.

Vogel will win COY this year if the Lakers win 65. Lebron will get MVP and AD has locked DPOY.

Lakers are set for a while, even after Lebron, which from the looks of it will be another 3 years from now.

16. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I actually don't disagree with anything you said - it's just you've been walking around with this attitude of "I can't wait to prove everyone wrong" and it's just gotten really stale man. I used to love reading your posts (dating back to CL days circa 2003!), but bro, you've become a broken record with this stuff - why can't you just enjoy what we have and stop talking about how we COULD Have had Lue or COULD have had Wagner/Bonga/JJ or COULD Have had all these first round picks and dumps instead of Danny Green and KCP at 23M - like bruh WE GET IT!

I do think we need to get Bron or AD some nights off - but guess what? THESE GUYS WANNA PLAY! They aren't Kawhi bro - Kawhi legitimately has to load manage because his career might actually be over in like 2 years if he doesn't load manage! (More on that later)

Now if you're talking about ball handling - again, LeBron is at his best when he's playing that role. AD and LeBron having each other makes a huge difference tho - remember, not all MINUTES are created equal. The Warriors had steph klay dray KD - they all played big minutes, but I think the pressure of not having to carry the load made their minutes not equal to others who had to carry more of the load. Lebron and AD are perfect for eacdh other in the sense that yes, they may both be playing 36 minutes, but they are not over-exerting themselves like they were last year.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  17. vasashi17

And what happened to the Warriors after multiple trips to the Finals? KD (8th most) and Klay (13th most) played big minutes last year, what happened?

https://stats.nba.com/players/tradi...8-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Totals

How many times in succession did Bron go to the Finals again? Did he not suffer a grade 2 tear last season? What’s the reason they call him washed again? Something to do with his age, right?

Ballhandling? You act like Bron didn’t have Wade and Ky to help him there. You act like he didn’t have a 3rd in Bosh & Love to help with his usage. You act like he wasn’t in the heyday of his prime back then. You act like Haynes tweet wasn’t newsworthy for a reason.

Meanwhile, AD has to manage a shoulder injury (ie a likely labrum tear in his dominant arm). He won't be able to address it properly till the seasons over either (ie surgical intervention). You think it’s wise to put that dude through more duress? It’s not like he was on the injury report last night due to the flu.

http://www.espn.com/nba/injuries/_/team/lal

These guys wanna play cause they about that hoops life. Kobe wanted to play all 48 minutes to a game too and MDA let him. Let’s not go MAD again and put our best chance at a title at any risk to themselves.

And I got keep saying it cause you guys DON’T GET IT!

Btw, I discuss #shouldawouldacoulda to those that bring it up to discuss it with me now. The times I brought it up for discussion first is during the summer when that s*** was still fresh or DON’T YOU GET THAT EITHER?!?

18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Why are we talking about Lue? Genuinely curious.

I'll say Vogel is doing better than I anticipated.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, i know why we're talking about lue. it's not because most people think he's the one that got away.

vogel's doing about as i expected: our offense isn't great or especially creative, and our defense is quite good and prioritized.

honestly, the only coaching-related thing that bugs me is kidd. he was a bad coach in two stops, imo. i'd rather have filled that spot with an up-and-comer. but it's not that big of a deal.

IE Lakers, alam1108, KB24 and 4 others like this.
  20. vasashi17

Well lookie-lue, I wonder who brought up dude first, cuz...

[​IMG]

But since it was brought up, it’s fair to point out we coulda had both, adequately covering our offense and our defense.