Head Coach Frank Vogel Discussion: The Fall Guy

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by TIME, May 13, 2019.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

If Kyrie deosn't go down in that series, he was getting fired. Sometimes the breaks fall your way.

Khmrp and 432J like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

upload_2022-1-20_12-44-21.jpeg

like benching russ sooner?

or pretty much any night? especially when he's helping dig the hole by not playing defense.

right. more deandre jordan was the key to victory against a team that played sabonis at center for 35 minutes. thanks, rambis. and trashing vogel (an accomplished coach) for not following rambis's (an absolutely s***ty, failed coach) advice is sorta crazy.

Juronimo and SamsonMiodek like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

is playing Melo at C any better of option?

4. Slick2021

Yet you continue to make excuses for him. Last year it was...KCP can't buy a shot, Kuz is inconsistent, Trez is bad on defense, Dennis is a bid fit, Drummond is the problem. AD is out, Lebron is out. The last two have merit. Nothing on Vogel..hey the defense was the best in the league!!! OK..and we finished in the play in game and out in the first round.
    Again what does benching Russ have to do with trying to take the ball out of Levert's hands? Thinking that Melo is a legit option at 5? Coming up with a decent pick and roll defense? We've been killed in the pick and roll ever since Frank got hired. Oh..it's LeBron's fault now? If only he could carry the team on offense and play lights out D in every game, we will be just fine? What accomplished coach are we talking here? Frank is no Phil Jackson with multiple rings to fall back on, and say my system is proven. We won a chip because Lebron and AD were the best two players in every series we played period. Not because Vogel's system was superior. The guy won a ring, credit is due, but that doesn't give him some kind of blanket immunity. Some of his decisions are costing the teams wins, last season and in this one. In spite of the issues we had. He tinkers with lineups for odd reasons, as if we have a 20 game cushion in the loss column. This is what he does, he did it the year we won the chip too. At the end of the day, he's outta here IMO, it might come sooner than I expected, I thought that he would be judged on his playoff performance. I'm not sure he makes it to the All Star break now. The crazy thing is...whoever takes over ,will probably have this exact same team at least into the Conference Finals.

Khmrp likes this.
  5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

We need Howard, James, Reaves, Monk and Johnson starting and playing the bulk of the minutes. Once AD is ready move Monk to sixth man. We can't keep talking about defense but then not commit to playing it. You can't commit to defense with players that can't play defense. Make a decision and stick with it. Fixing our team is not as hard as they are making it seem. We may are may not be a championship level team but we don't need to be a laughing stock.

lakerjones and NickthaQuick like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

He’s going to get fired after the Orlando game because Rob loves his stories and theres nothing more poetic than getting fired after losing against the past two teams you’ve coached

8. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Lakers offense works = there you go Bron, you still the Kang. Lakers offense doesn't work = Why you no make any adjustments Vogel?!!!@##$@#@#@@#

Am I doing it right?

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

for some here, you definitely are.

and lebron's seeing all the angles and just...not sharing them with the coaching staff because...he likes the play-in tournament?

Juronimo and Cookie like this.
  10. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

What coach do you think would do a better job?

Juronimo, abeer3 and alam1108 like this.
  11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

lakers offense only works when bron works, it's obvious by now this team has no offensive system

12. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

I keep hearing that he hasn't had the roster that he can work with. Fine I'll give him that.

How about squeezing the best out of the hand that's given to him anyways? This team should not be a .500 team with so many losses.

He needs to be selective about going small ball. There's no reason for Melo to go play 30 mins in his 1st game back with a bulk of minutes at C, its just stupid. He saw what Stanley did the previous game so why not try the same formula in the 4th? Why not replicate the lineup that brought you great success just a few days earlier? These kinds of puzzling lineup decisions happen quite often with Vogel (remember DJ starting all those games with Bradley?). He is not the biggest problem (roster construction), but his coaching is STILL a problem.

He benched Russ last night and still lost the game by not playing the right lineup of guys.

We've had the pieces all year to compete but they're not arranged rightly out on the floor and that is a huge coaching incompetency

If he keeps playing small ball and leaning on Lebron, that signals to me Vogel doesn't have the offensive coaching IQ to figure this out and he needs to go with this gimmick Lebron at C to survive on a game to game basis.

13. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Like every team Bron ever played on. He's the system and he doesn't wants it any other way.

The Rock likes this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Well said.

I’m starting to wonder more and more if Vogel leaked this story, because it’s actually got people to go the other direction and ignore some of his many flaws.

To be clear, I’m against firing Vogel now. But that’s primarily because to do so this far into the season just screams desperation and dysfunction, and seems like it would be the front office’s way to deflect blame.

But the reality is that Vogel is flawed. He’s not part of the solution here. His rotations often leave me scratching my head, he often frustrates me with his timeout management. He fails to draw up actual plays in late game situations and we often devolve into relying on hero ball. He clearly is having trouble managing some of our personalities. Guy’s are not buying in and playing hard on a consistent basis, and yes that’s mostly the fault of the players, but it usually doesn’t happen when players believe in their coach.

I think at this point we should let him ride out the rest of the year, there are no other coaches who can fill in and actually make a difference. But regardless of how messed up the FO is, I’m ready to move on from Vogel after this season.

Slick2021 and The Rock like this.
  15. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

The parallels between Vogel, Luke and Mike Brown are pretty incredible.

Brown has found his calling as a great #2 under Kerr as a defensive assistant. Luke might be heading that way too . After this year Vogel might be smart to consider that direction. All those guys have no offensive creativity and don't know how to trot out the right combinations and lineups. All 3 have not adapted to the new nba but they can be quite valuable as #2 to a talented team in need of defensive game plans and schemes

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Completely agree with all of this.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i've asked for this, like 8 times in this thread. just crickets all around.

who ya hiring, armchair strategists? who's going to overrule lebron, bench russ and melo, and get this team winning the apparently 75% of games you all expected?

alam1108 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^
    Well... I mean... I could apply for the job.

Would you guys be OK with me coaching? I'd have Westbrook coming off the bench. Ariza would play 10-15 minutes, the rest goes to Stan. Monk @ the 1.

What do you say?

sirronstuff and ADKOBE like this.
  20. Slick2021

Multiple ones..hell Vogel was OUR 3rd choice wasn't he? How many people around here, were talking about Frank Vogel as a coaching candidate, when Luke got fired?Luke could have babysat that 2019 team to a title IMO.