Dwight Howard Discussion: The Taiwan Terror

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, May 11, 2016.

1. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

He deserves to start against Orlando if Davis still can't play

2. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

Not a fan of messing up the perfect center rotation we have right now. It's working beautifully so there is no reason to change it.

D-Fish Man, JSM, lakerjones and 9 others like this.
  3. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I agree. He is getting more minutes than McGee and you’ll probably find that will extend even more into the playoffs. Let McGee start and get his 20 mins of high energy - it’ll keep him engaged.

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

What a transformation. I still resent him a little bit for not being what he is now back then, perhaps saving the end Kobe's career from being a long farewell tour...

But man, he has been sensational.

5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

it's not a center's league and Dwight coming off the bench is making the mismatches even worse. Mcgee and AD get the few bigs that are any good and Dwight just has his way coming off the bench. No need to mess with what's working.

6. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

The best part is he is still a top defender.

7. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Dammit he is our best 3 point shooter based on percentages :D

D12 coming into his own as a bench player. Sensational is probably an understatement. Who knows how we would have played with Cousins instead of Howard.

8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

This was so enjoyable to watch! All-star type game.

9. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

On one hand I agree with what you all are saying about JaVale... he would probably get butthurt if he lost his starting job and he does play with energy at the start of each game because he's happy... so why mess up the chemistry.

But then I think about how JaVale wanted Zubac gone... and how Zu at 22 is putting up similar numbers as Dwight during his 17 minutes every night and it pisses me off how we accommodated him. He should do what Dwight did this season and play hard no matter what his minutes.

If Boogie looks like he's going to recover then McGee has to be the odd man out.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think depending on Boogie for anything other than spot minutes here and there is a bad idea, and we'd be setting ourselves up for failure.

If he is truly ready, our team is built to want him out there and to succeed, but they also care about him long term. I'm sure they will figure it out, and nobody needs to be the odd man out.

What a ridiculous big man rotation if everyone is healthy. Just absurd.

11. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Boogie played 25 MPG and put up good numbers even while recovering from his Achilles.

His other injury people recover from more easily and one can look at this year as rest and another season away from the Achilles.

Maybe you are right and those three can split the center position 16 minutes each... but something tells me they won't be content even when adding in the extra 12 minutes or so that AD is resting.

Has a three man platoon ever been done before successfully?

I suppose if you can do it nothing wrong with keeping all three... but if one has to go it would be McGee for me. DMC offers a different skill set and will provide the bulk and size that the other two can't. Plus he can shoot from range which the other two can't.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  12. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

BEAST mode from Dwight - he's been the guy that has really stepped up in AD's absence as far as being that defensive and lob threat - and just doing all the little things defensively.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  13. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, we are all focusing on Kuz and what he needs to do in AD's absence, but Dwight can be that guy if we need him to score/rebound more. He's on cruise control right now.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He crushed them with his rebounding and energy. 13, 14, & 15 rebounds in 3 of the last 4.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't mess with the rotations.

IE Lakers, alam1108, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  15. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Th funny thing in watching Dwight play is that he looks like he loves in slow motion, yet his timing is usually on point. It’s like he is being really efficient with his energy and it reflects in his play and numbers. If I were a young big I’d be watching him and trying to learn.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  16. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Probably better. But I'm not complaining. Dwight has FAR exceeded my expectations.

IE Lakers likes this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I can’t remember ever seeing a player career turnaround like this. It may have happened, but I can’t remember seeing better. There’s still half a season and playoffs to go, but I have ZERO to complain about with Dwight this season. He’s already earned every cent of the minimum he’s making and then some. I am genuinely concerned about him being in the dunk contest though because we cannot afford to lose him to injury and it seems like the one thing he has avoided doing this year, putting himself in the spotlight for something meaningless.

IE Lakers, Cookie, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

KB24 said:
    Who knows how we would have played with Cousins instead of Howard.

I don't know man. Dwight is so much more mobile than Cousins and so much more of an elevated rim protection presence and offensive threat for easy 2 point lobs, who can go out on the perimeter to defend, with all of his experience. Paired AMAZINGLY with what McGee brings. I'm thinking this is the best possible scenario towards a chip. That said, I want to put a stake in the heart of Small Ball / no center position All Star basketball .... and bring all 3 of them back next year. At this point ........for the FUN and the chance for a / another ring ....... maybe Javale bites the bullet this time at the vet minimum. That's your center rotation next year. Who says NO if we can do it "cheaply" from KCP and Rondo's monies this year? One generational player on our team that would be thrilled obviously is ......

:ADORLY2:

19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I doubt it. Cousins was coming off a gruesome quad injury and year two after an achilles tear. Dwight has literally been playing close to Prime Dwight (without Prime Dwight Attitude). His points are just down because his minutes are down and we are giving his touches to more efficient scorers (ie AD, Lebron, Caruso?). He is honestly the PERFECT fit for this team the way he has been playing. Cousins would not have blended in this seamlessly. Too ball dominant. Cousins couldn't have this type of impact with this few touches.

20. BangBoomPow

BangBoomPow - Lakers Starter -

McGee came to the Lakers after the championships stint with the Warriors. He was out with an illness and wanted to come back to his starting role. He likely had better offers waiting and I'm sure there was an agreement with the Lakers that McGee was to be the starter. That's besides the point, though. Zubac's production increased when LeBron was out. You don't draw plays for a player like Zubac when you have a guy like LeBron on your team. It worked because LeBron was injured and the Lakers really had no depth so feeding Zubac made a lot of sense in smaller rotations. The issue with this is also the fact that Dwight is an accomplished NBA player. The respect factor is just different. Zubac came into the league being an unknown and while he's capable of scoring the ball at times, he's not 1/10th the player Dwight was at his prime. Javale can respect someone like Dwight in a way Zubac would never receive.

JSM and LTLakerFan like this.