Dwight Howard Discussion: The Taiwan Terror

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by thkthebest, May 11, 2016.

1. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Dwight came on TNT's "Inside the NBA", and basically everybody is saying that it turned into a therapy session for Dwight. Lol.

To be honest, I actually liked the way Dwight handled things here. Maybe after losing so much and not receiving that adoration that he used to in Orlando, he will turn things around. Not sure though. Actions speak louder than words. He still needs to show that he can put his ego aside, and do what he can do well at an elite level. That means that on offense, he needs to set hard screens, probably be the 3rd option, and run a lot of pick and rolls. Only post up occasionally or when he has deep position. Maybe even bring back that FT% to 60%. On defense, he needs to rebound and defend at an elite level because he has the ability to do that. He can't let the offense dictate his attitude on defense.

He can still be elite, but whether or not that happens is all up to him.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2019
    JD, shoe and Battle Tested20 like this.
  2. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

It's almost as if he has a player option on his contract and wants to endear himself to others so he can cash in on another contract and continue to be the exact same person he's been his entire career

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Love the title of the thread :Laugh:

sirronstuff and thkthebest like this.
  4. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

cachooka ftw.

i watched this, and...i don't know...he seemed very much like the howard we've known in many ways. he did take some level of accountability for his tendency to take himself out of games, though.

very annoying to me as a laker fan to watch the guy who was waving stat sheets around and trying to get kobe dumped to basically avoid saying anything negative about harden despite barkley's obvious attempts to bait him into doing so. harden dominates the offense far more than kobe ever did in la, yet we're all cool with it now?

the one constant with howard for me is that he wants to be liked. they addressed that he isn't, and he claims he doesn't really care, but he's full of it. he OBVIOUSLY wants that. he basically told on himself just a few seconds after denying that it drives him, imo. it would be more refreshing if he just admitted that he wished people liked him more.

i will say that chuck and kenny telling him to be himself was good advice. i don't think he's really tried that. even in the interview, he talks about how he tries to manage smiling and not smiling, etc.

his FA decision is indeed important, too. i wonder if he'll make the choice based on what he really wants this time, instead of what he thinks the public wants him to do. that's burned him twice (his opt-in in orlando and his move to houston).

Barnstable and thkthebest like this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's what I got too. Wahh, people don't like me, I don't get the ball enough to be what I was. Meh, pass.

Oh SNAP! :Laugh::ShaqOh2::dwightcrying:

7. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

They told him what he was gonna do in free agency..told him he was wrong about Steph vs Jordan and told him he was a d******..

8. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Lol that must have been painful for Dwight to sit there and just take whatever Charles and Kenny were saying to him. It was interesting to see Dwight not really trash the Rockets....it seems like he's thinking about opting in potentially to give it one more go with the Rockets. If he does that, he's dumber than we all thought. He has to opt out. Too much money out there and lots of teams that have cap space and a need at center in a diluted big man market....Dwight will get paid from someone, even if it isn't the best winning situation for him. A team I could see him going to that isn't being mentioned? The San Antonio Spurs (and that's if the Spurs somehow strike out on Pau Gasol).

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    The replies to Shaq's tweet were pretty great. You know I was chiming in lol

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He's good at saying the right things but he doesn't actually mean them. He doesn't care what people think, but their doubt drives him and he's still trying to figure out if he should smile or not because of...what .people think of him. Hm. He has to go work hard this summer to improve himself gee where have we heard that before? How's the post game working out for you Dwight? This screams of a guy who thinks he gets it but doesn't really get it.

He's going to opt out, go get paid by someone, and do all the same things he's always done.

Juronimo and Weezy like this.
  11. sirronstuff

I made this early this year, and it makes me chuckle how perfect they would be for each other. Both clueless in their own way, and they have no idea.

byrondwightchampions.png

jbiggs, Barnstable, alam1108 and 4 others like this.
  12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Bad guy? No.

Not serious enough? Most definitely.

I'm just glad he's gone. Houston will be too.

13. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    The thing that hit me the most was how he talks about hitting the gym in order to improve. As if not being in the best shape of his life was the main issue with his game. How about improving the FT% and working on some actual post moves Dwight? It's amazing how clueless he is about his own strengths and weaknesses.

Agree with those of you who assume this is just a way of selling himself to the potential new employer. I don't buy that he really wants to improve. I wish him to sign for the max in Boston for the reminder of his career.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    His type of game is nearly extinct... GSW resurgence has made him almost irrelevant in today's NBA

lakerjones likes this.
  15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

His type of game is extinct because he doesn't put the work in.

^Do you really think Draymond Green could defend prime Shaq? Prime Hakeem? I doubt he could defend prime Bynum (2011-2012) either. A few years ago Gasol and Randolph scored in the paint against the Warriors, but their teammates couldn't give them any help besides Conley. The Warriors are successful partly because of their system, but also because they are a deep team with owners who are willing to shell out the cash ($95 million payroll) to win championships. Gasol and Randolph would have more help if the Grizzlies ever paid out that much $$. IMO that probably led to the split between Joeger and the Grizzlies. Not just his coaching salary, but the team salary too.

16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    There will be no Shaq or Hakeem in the near future, or maybe ever again. Everybody will play pace and space. Dinosaurs are dead.

17. sirronstuff

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, folks, you can't be prisoner to the zeitgeist. as i said in another thread, it's not like you can just *poof* pace and space yourself into the next gs. they have a very unique roster. other pace and space attempts have met with varying degrees of success (and failure).

if another transcendent center comes on the scene (or demarcus cousins gets a good therapist), i could totally see a successful team playing slower and pounding the ball inside as a primary option.

in fact, many of the recent good teams don't play a "stretch 4" heavy minutes. SA this year is a good example. memphis prior to all the injuries is another example. the clips are another. these are perennial 50+ win teams that play a rather traditional style, imo. one that everyone says is dead. i don't believe it. i think the best team in the league just happens to be built a certain way.

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Funny, was thinking exactly the same thing, if Cousins can get past his anger issues or at least channel them more effectively, watch out. He has the potential to be devastatingly dominant as a big. No he's not the same as Shaq or Hakeem but his ability to shoot from outside as well as the post makes him a very rare talent. If he puts it together and they get some pieces around him, he could be another revolutionary big.

20. sirronstuff