Dennis Schröder Discussion: Raptor

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by The Rock, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Ham has said that what needs to be said will be said. Whether it is Schroeder, Russ, Beverly or anyone else he will do what is best for the team. Kind of a clean slate for me going into the season.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Good luck Ham i guess. He's no Phil or even Kerr... the locker room will be lost by Christmas.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he's not them, nor is our roster constructed in a way to allow that, but i think he has the backing of the FO to toss dissidents come xmas time if it's as you say.

sirronstuff, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Yes in hindsight the mMLE didn’t grab an impactful wing. But my point was it was one of the assets that could, some impactful wings went for that price - we either couldn’t sign them or didn’t try, but nonetheless we didn’t end up with any.

I think Bev is a really just a small SG, he also defends bigger than his size, so I’m not down about it. I do lament giving Stan away though.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

It is a good point that come X-Mas we may have a guard we can trade because if Nunn is healthy there is a little redundancy, combo guards without a real PG on the team, Lebron being the closest thing. Problem is money, if Nunn is healthy you probably aren't letting him go and unless Pat Bev has a significant dropoff, you aren't letting him go and he's the money piece. Can't see letting Schroder go at vet min, he's a great bench piece. I'd bring Russ and him off the bench. Nunn and Bev/Reaves to start

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

bevs definitely isn't a pg and never has been. and he can guard sgs, no problem. he just can't guard sfs, which has been a bugaboo for us. though again, imo, lebron and AD should be deployed against physical wings in any case. stan would have been helpful here, too.

yeah, ironically, schroder's contract means he's here all year. good gamble on his part (this time), as we are currently set to have some cap space next year depending on various things.

Alcindor likes this.
  7. Alcindor

If we can continue to carry him on a vet min he's great for us for the foreseeable future. He turned 29 Thursday People are bagging on him but the dude far, far outweighs a vet min deal. 2 seasons ago he scored 19 pts a game and hit .385 from behind the arc and .524 from 2.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and Toklat like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

No

The yellow thing is back in his hair. :speechless:

But yeah I like what he brings. Speed, Rondo trickiness getting to the rim to shoot off any foot either hand, the aggressive man to man on point of attack looked good to me when he was here before covid seemed to drop his game once he came back. Quick feet and speed and the Avery Bradley up and into the ball handler style. And he’s a decent shooter and threat to score one on one.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think his plan is obviously to parlay this into something larger than a vet min, and i'm wondering if rob's going to try to sell him on a kcp arrangement if things go well. a whole lot can happen between now and next summer, though, so i won't try to map out any specific plan.

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Paying Dennis KCP kinda money.
    :Vogelheaving:

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

not the exact figures, but more like a relationship wherein we take care of each other--you'll get paid when it works for everyone.

kcp's first deal was a bloated one-year favor to klutch/face-saving move for us. we re-upped him for less than his actual value, then used bird rights to recover back to his appropriate value. i could envision a scenario in which we had space next year and rather than use it to try to recruit externally, we used it to slightly overpay dennis with the idea that we'd sign him to a reduced longer term contract the following year.

again, way too many ifs to get there right now, but i think some of what rob's done with player/agent relations has worked in our favor and will continue to pay dividends. feel like something is at play with lonnie in this regard, even if i can't see it right now.

and as much as monk hurts us now, i think his ability to use us to showcase his abilities and get paid will help us sign future monks.

tl;dr: while i dislike the roster churn, i can see how some of it is purposeful and forward-thinking.

12. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I think the question @abeer3 becomes what is correct salary for Dennis. How did he play last year? If he played well, (I have no idea I didn’t watch him or his team) why did he not get offers over the minimum? I don’t believe his skill set is worth only minimum money but it makes you wonder, what do teams know that we don’t.

13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    [​IMG]

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    The best signing we never made. Just unbelievable.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Alcindor like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think we're about to find out. i think he's a mini-mle to mle player, tbh. he's just not a starter, and it took him a while to figure it out. if he re-embraces his bench role, he can look good.

it's not like he was terrible the last time he played for us. we wanted to keep him long term! he made some poor choices and had some bad luck, but he's not washed. i was really surprised dallas didn't go after him to replace brunson.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I'm just concerned at how much better Boston looked as soon as they dumped him. For the price, he's a value and we can cut him if he's an issue. He desperately needs an image makeover. Will he get itchy on the bench with some DNPs? If we don't make a move and everyone is activated (including Nunn's knee) , there's going to be games he's either not playing or only getting garbage time.

17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Congrats to the Leprechaun Hedgehog

18. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    All in all, I don't have a big problem having him back, but I'd rather have a wing. I'm not sure how the chemistry is going to work with this team.

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. Alcindor

20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    As long as he has that tattoo, he’s a :Schrooder Clown: