DeMarcus Cousins Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by jordan-esque, Jul 6, 2019.

1. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Audio out there of Boogie threatening to kill mother of his child before his wedding (different woman).

2. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Doesn't matter. You're not allowed to record someone without their consent, and recordings of the other person without their consent is NOT admissible in the court as evidence.

This ex of his will get screwed on this big time...using public to influence custody and gain leverage in her request for a restraining order...oldest trick in the book that doesn't quite work nowadays as more and more courts are catching onto this type of behavior...

3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Depends on the state.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  4. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    I mean, this could be our ticket to waive him and open a spot. NBA now investigating.

But for real life purposes, this is not a good look. At all.

John3:16 likes this.
  5. fabfourlakers

It's not a good look in the public eye, but if we're talking legally....Cousins' ex is absolutely f***ED.

She is making some serious allegations too...and recording a phone call like that denying him of his son will look pre-meditated and courts will HATE that she did not allow their son to go to his wedding. If I'm Cousins attorney, I go IN on her allegations...oh so he choked you? Did you call the cops? If not, why didnt you? Weren't you "scared for your life"? DId he choke the kid too? Oh he did? DId you call the cops? DId you call CPS? What did you do to protect your child? How long ago did he choke you? So you waited X amount of days before contacting anybody about it?

She will get absolutely ripped on the witness stand.

Unfortunately for Boogie, he'll have to hope the NBA has his back on this...they could suspend him for this which woudl be an absolute shame. If they do though, it could be a blessing in disguise for us and we'll still have another roster spot open for someone like Iggy or another buyout if it happens...

sirronstuff and CarolinaLakerFan like this.
  6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

So they going to minority report the guy?

His baby mama refused to send their son to his wedding. He could have used a better worded empty threat...but that's all this was: an empty threat.

Meanwhile, his baba mama made her threat a promise. Boogie's son wasn't at the wedding.

They seemingly can't let the real ones live. Hope this nonstory becomes one fast cause the sharks are in the water.

But let's say this goes sideways (and I really wouldn't want that for dude), this could give the Lakers an out in waiving dude and freeing up another roster spot.

7. fabfourlakers

Yeah i sympathize with Boogie on this as I have a crazy ex-wife that files things frivolously...but unfortunately, Boogie could lose his job because of this. IF that happens and the allegations are proven to be false, he can file for restitution of lost wages as a result of her frivolous filing. I kind of hope the Lakers stick by him...would probably motivate him to come back and kill it for us next year.

8. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

No one is in a position to determine what is a valid verbal threat or not from Boogie as far as public perception is concerned. While it probably is a good guess it's talk and where my money would be, it doesn't matter because "aw you know, I didn't mean it" doesn't hold water in a large sector of public opinion who have tv shows where the threats were real. Lakers have to look at the public view on things because they are the Lakers.

Donald Sterling didn't consent to the phone calls being recorded, did that change public perception of him or the inevitable outcome? Everyone know's that's Boogie on that recording and it's something he and the Lakers are definitely going to have to deal with, the law won't make it go away except maybe in terms of punishment by the law. Boogie has much more to worry about than just that.

revgen and John3:16 like this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

It looks like if the investigation leads to bad optics, Lakers could cut bait...

Meanwhile, JKidd chillin' in the cuts.

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Rest of that thread

And yes, it’s tough to judge a man off of one recorded thing said in anger, especially if he doesn’t have a long documented history of this sort of thing. I guess we will see what happens.

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG] .... to the events reported on Lakersball this past 24 hours where I go for all my important news after TMZ.

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

OK here's the recording and my take on hearing it for the first time after feeling terrible about what happened to Cousin's career in the last year and a half .... especially with our logically high hopes of him regaining an easy 80% of what he was and being that 3rd dominating force on the Lakers this year and going forward.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers...ins-threatened-his-sons-mother-194924463.html

Another open roster spot ..... oh hell yeah!! No way the league doesn't formally come down on him with that kind of threat, whether legally recorded or not. Is my guess.

13. fabfourlakers

Welp...Alabama (where his ex lives) and Georgia (where Cousins was when the call was made) are one-party states - meaning you do not need someone's consent to record them. Cousins is absolutely f***ED if that's the case. He could still have a shot if his ex cut the recording and edited it or it's somehow NOT him on the phone (doubtful)...but man, she was smart to do this while he was in Georgia - had he been in California, this wouldn't have held up. Boy oh boy....Cousins may have just put the nail in the coffin on his NBA Career with that phone call...ugh

14. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I have mixed feelings on the whole Boogie thing. I hate it when parents (men or women) use their children as pawns against their ex-partner. It’s never in the best interest of they child. I can see where Boogie would be upset. Especially considering the last month or so. What I can’t condone is the use of violence. 33% of women killed, die by the hands of a man they have been in a relationship with. It’s a serious problem. Boogie has not been the greatest at containing his emotions on the court in the past. Do I think he meant it, I would hope not. I can see where he would call her names and cuss her out but threaten to kill her, sorry that crosses the line for me, whether he meant it or not.

IE Lakers, tada, Weezy and 8 others like this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  16. LTLakerFan

OMG I didn't recall that. Worst decision ever coming back from an achilles and not being satisfied with that for the first 2 years. His whole thing right now is piling up and sad to see one way or the other. Isaiah Thomas like to have been so close and then BOOM.

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Tell me that man is in his happy place, and I’d have to disagree. He bet on himself and lost, and now it’s spiraling. Throw in a marriage during a difficult time like this? Wow.

She’s either one to keep him centered or in for a very bumpy ride.

Either way, money doesn’t buy happiness, but it can mask some things. Hopefully he finds peace. Maybe hanging out with Steph for a season helped him. Prolly in church every Sunday.

***remembers death threat recordings***

Nvm

18. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Actually, ESPN just came out with a 30 for 30 podcast about Sterling. Seems like Sterling actually did give her consent to being recorded. They had discussions about how Sterling would forget details of his conversations so he agreed to let her record them so she could remind him of things. Obviously she probably had ulterior motives from the start and he was senile to agree to that and still stay stupid stuff, but consent was there.

But yeah, regardless of if Cousins consented to the recording or if consent was required, it’s a bad look.

My first thought was that it was an empty threat and just Cousins saying something out of anger to an ex who was trying to spite him. But I changed my mind after I read this, it’s a really good point.

19. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

And consent doesn't matter anyways in the Sterling case from a legal aspect because Sterling didn't break any laws. He was exposed as a douchebag racist, not for handing out death threats. He was then destroyed as an NBA owner by public opinion and the NBA (who does what it wants and is most definitely influenced by public perception). Just proves the point about public opinion even more even though in this case it was a damn good thing. If Boogie gets by on legal here, he still has the same factors of public opinion and the NBA to deal with, especially if it's an admission of the recording as evidence thing. His hope is the recordinge is proved to be bogus or tampered with.

And what did was stupid and inexcusable at the same time the unexcited reaction his ex gave "uh-huh" shows he drops bombs like that when he feels like it. He should know better and his personal team should know better that one day he will get caught. This is basic sh!t your agent or legal people go over with you and make sure is ingrained in your head. I know family is real touchy subject but don't be a thick-skulled numb-nuts.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    SFGOLDRUSHER, Cookie and John3:16 like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

I couldn't help but think of what abeer said about Luke below now when thinking about Cousins and what just happened and will be happening. Could you imagine, just like it would have been with Luke here still instead, how this would have played out with the national and L.A. press if Demarcus was still an active Laker.

SFGOLDRUSHER, Cookie and abeer3 like this.