D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

I'm not sure why you keep saying we'd have to choose. We likely could have both right now.

Kenzo likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Because it is ... h y p o t h e t i c a l. Some people are still mourning DLO being gone. I'm saying due to his inconsistencies mixed with getting red hot at times and acknowledged relatively poor and not consistent defense ..... that if the two were to compete at DLO's best position perhaps Kuzma could even win that competition with his own (so far exhibited) high octane and more consistent shooting plus greater repertoire, size advantage, equal or greater athleticism and coordination, ambidexterity ...... and very likely better and certainly more consistent defense. Plus the size advantage and mismatches he could create.

Have we not talked multiple times about putting BI at the 2 spot in certain situations? And he hasn't even started to shoot consistently well yet. I think Kuz does better there than him. A taller Klay Thompson (very lite or just lite). And I'm not the first guy to bring up Klay Thompson similarities in the "lite" vein so don't everyone go getting your panties in a bunch.

:Fishwink:

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand the question. If you're asking me if I'd trade Kuzma for D'Angelo right now, probably not. I've had D'Angelo and I know enough to know I'm okay with him somewhere else. I'd like to see what Kuzma can be. If you're asking me if Kuzma is better than D'Angelo, probably not today. If you're asking if D'Angelo is a better SG than Kuzma, then yes definitely D'Angelo is a better SG than Kuzma right now.

4. LTLakerFan

I stated all my reasons above why MAYBE Kuzma could be better in a lot of areas. All you're saying is because .... what? How about looking at it this way, my money would be on Kuzma beating him out. Even as a rookie if Kuz and DLO were in camp together fighting it out for who is going the be the starting 2 guard on the Lakers and knowing the other one is getting traded ..... who wins that competition and why? Why is defense not factoring in here for all the whine and moaning we rightfully do over it. DLO doesn't have the dog in him either that Kuzma has.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

where's the evidence for kuzma the defender again?

6. LTLakerFan

Well correct me if I'm wrong but it was agreed that DLO sucked on defense (athleticism, focus, grit and will to grind) and Kuzma had been commented on coming out clicking on most of that and as NOT being a "bad" defender. He's been banging on a lot bigger guys too. My personal bet is matched up on same other players in camp he would come out ahead with defensive scores even against 2 guards, if competing with DLO. Sorry if this is so ridiculous to some of you, but how about ticking off in the areas I have listed below just where D'Angelo Russell you're sure is going to smoke Kyle Kuzma in head to head competition to stay in Los Angeles as a 2 guard? Russell of course drafted as a PG and Kuzma as a (3)-4.

"I'm saying due to (Russell's) inconsistencies mixed with getting red hot at times and acknowledged relatively poor and not consistent defense ..... that if the two were to compete at DLO's best position perhaps Kuzma could even win that competition with his own (so far exhibited) high octane and more consistent shooting plus greater repertoire, size advantage, equal or greater athleticism and coordination, ambidexterity ...... and very likely better and certainly more consistent defense. Plus the size advantage and mismatches he could create."

7. therealdeal

I see some evidence that Kuzma can guard 3s and a little evidence he can guard 4s (but significantly less), but I don't see any at all that he can guard 2s. I know that D'Angelo can guard twos. I know that D'Angelo can control the ball and make decisions in the pick and roll, initiate offense, etc.

I don't see any evidence that Kuzma would be better at that position. He's quick, but not fast enough for guards. D'Angelo had some deficiencies on that end, but his size still made up for a lot of athleticism issues. Kuzma has quick feet for his size, but not quick feet like he can guard the DeRozans and the Hardens for any serious length of time.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

How about on offense with whole repertoires, and styles of shooting the ball with DLO's rapid fire, no jump, shorter player, quickest of draws release ....... vs K.K.'s Robert Horry-like release after having the height advantage and additionally actually jumping. And so far through Summer League and Pre-season being more consistent game in and game out with that set of tools?

9. LTLakerFan

And this below courtesy of ElginTheGreat in the Kuzma thread with excellent insight into his background, vs Ice In My Veins look at Me personality of Russell why I would bet on Kuzma with that hypothetical in camp competition for staying on the Lakers at the unplanned for 2 spot as opposed to what they were drafted for. It's just conversation and both my hands are on the keyboard .... thanks for that, Savory.

:Laugh:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

10. therealdeal

I'm still taking D'Angelo at the SG position. Kuzma's attitude is great and all, but it's just not in his skill set just like I wouldn't ask Lonzo to be a PF.

11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I feel Kuzma has a better chance at guarding the elite and bigger SG's like Harden, Thompson, Derozan, and Butler. D'Angelo has no chance at slowing them down. He's slower, weaker, and shorter. At least Kuzma has the strength and length to bother them.

I actually feel Kuzma would be better served guarding SG's than PF's right now. Imagine him going up against the Pelicans frontcourt of Cousins and Davis. They'd both drop 40 on us.

12. therealdeal

I think Harden, Thomspon, and Derozan would drop 40 on him pretty easily too.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

and they're guards, so...50?

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

They wouldn't grab 20 boards and put in him foul trouble though :cool:

15. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    He looks good out there with Brooklyn... I hope he does good out there, I was one of the few all depressed we got rid of him...

16. LTLakerFan

Come on. At least he would keep grinding and banging with them so they have to work and they have to guard his size as well. DLO would just mentally say f*** it after getting lit up in the 1st quarter and figure why keep trying so hard .... need to conserve energy for offense.

:Noddingyes:

17. LTLakerFan

Is he playing the 2 or PG?

Have you noticed any seeming improvements or differences in his game, or hard to tell at this point?

18. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    what if there was no such thing as hypothetical questions?

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He's still performing better than "Mr Untouchable".