Dallas Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by AussieLaker87, Oct 14, 2020.

1. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

Are people sleeping on the Dallas Mavericks for next season?

I have seen a long list of teams that are supposed to be a threat to the Lakers next season. Some of the teams named did not deserve to be mentioned if the Mavs weren't on there.

I think people have already forgot that Luka took 2 games off the Flippers in spite of being on one leg, KPs being injured and ejected etc. Obviously the officials were very much trying to get the Flippers out of the first round too.

I know some might argue "they were only a 7th seed," yet I am sure they were a top 4 seed prior to Luka's injury in the regular season.

Such is Dallas' scoring, they will certainly be in the mix next season. I only really think there are three things that need improving: health (out of their control); the mental side of the game (the Flippers got into dirty play to unsettle them) and defence (the leak as much as they score).

Do I have them beating the Lakers? No way. But do I rate them better than Houston and Philly with all their uncertainty? Hell yes.

abeer3 likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Need to see a healthy Porzingis first.

3. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    If healthy that team could be scary. Can they stay healthy though? It's a shame but Porzingis will probably never make it through an entire season.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

No one is doubting Luka, he's going to be a monster for 15 years. Nor are they doubting Cuban or Carlisle. But he doesn't have enough help yet. Cuban is going to be aggressive and try to go hard after the Greek Freak. But you can't count on Porz and his health. They got work to do.

5. AussieLaker87

AussieLaker87 - Rookie -

I know it is a big IF, but if Dallas improves their defence, they are scary. We thought the Warriors and Rockets could get on a roll and score big. Dallas play so fast and score at will.

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This is when I'd become scared. Giannis + Luka is ridiculous. The stuff that Giannis lac,s, Lu,a provides and would allow Giannis to concentrate on the things he is amazing at.

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  7. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Dallas D is bad ( starts with Luka) and soft .... They should get rid of Porzingis contract in my (unpopular) opinion too .

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  8. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    They totally should, if they can get a good package for him, and I'm not sure this opinion is that unpopular. He's just too big of an injury risk.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

they were an e-win case this year, in that they lost a bunch of games they shouldn't have. they should have been a 4th seed, minimum, based on overall performance, but they closed games terribly all year long.

and their roster is built really well:

bona fide big time superstar: luka

good, versatile guard play by committee: hardaway, wright, curry, brunson

solid forwards: dorian finney smith (he's what you want mo harkless to be at 1/3 the price), kleber (super underrated backup 4/5)

solid centers: dwight powell (his injury killed them, and maybe him), boban, kristaps

the big question mark is porzingis. when he's available, they're very tough, but i just don't see it. i see why they took the gamble, though--no FA chooses them, ever (they should, tbh--solid organization, like miami/SA). so you have to swing big on trades for fallen angels.

and they will have another chance to get a big name (giannis). but i don't see it (see previous statement about their FA fortunes). so they have a choice to make there. but yeah, if porzingis can make it through a post-season, you don't want to see him, luka, and carlisle on the other side of the lines.

10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Do I have faith in Dallas? No.

Do I have faith in Luka? Yes.

I'd have a hard time deciding if I trade him for AD, straight up, right now. I have no problem deciding if I trade Bron for him right now.

Luka to AD for the slam!

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL. Thanks Bron. See ya! JK. I know what you're saying. ;)

John3:16 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

luka's a hofer as long as he stays healthy. unbelievable how good he is already. top five nba player at 20.

can dallas build around him? i'm sure the lakers will be watching that VERY closely. rather get him than giannis, tbh.

14. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    I must not be understanding what you are saying?

Luka is great but I would not trade him for Lebron or AD at this point. The ONLY reason you consider that is simply due to Lebron's age, but of course, that would never happen because the Lakers don't treat their players like that. Then consider AD, there is no other big man with his set of skills. As long as he wants to be here, I would NEVER trade him for anyone in the league. He is a load for everyone in the playoffs. Luka cannot touch this.

While I would take Luka for anyone not named AD or Lebron, I think we made the correct choices so far and would not trade either of our guys for anyone.

blanko and SamsonMiodek like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, in a cold-blooded analysis, you trade anyone one-for-one for luka because he projects to have a long career as a first-team all nba player. but the lakers' brand isn't to move their stars--especially when they deliver. and that brand is important. so no, i wouldn't trade lebron or AD for luka, in this context. of course, dallas wouldn't trade him for either, so it's moot.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    36 years old for a 22 year old with a similar game, but the nads to take and make the last second shots?

All. Day.

17. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    except for the fact that Lebron outplayed him in all their meetings so far. Also, Lebron can play defense, I don't really think Luka can play it much. On offense and running a team, sure Luka is great and with time, sure he has 12-20 years in front of him, who knows how high he will reach. If we did NOT have Lebron yet and were offered 4 years of Lebron or 20 years of Luka, hmmm, I would have to think about this carefully. If the time was equal, I would take Lebron without hesitation. Luka is a little slow to be a great defender. And AD vs Luka, I would actually take AD straight up without thinking about it. He is the quintessential marquee blue print for what big men can be in the modern NBA. The bigger, slower guys with no outside shot and no ability to guard multiple positions are going to be a thing of the past.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think luka's defensive issues are overplayed (mostly because of stereotypes). he's big and has a high hoop iq, so he can play team defense. dallas's defense was "ok", and he rates positively on defensive metrics. he's not going to take the other team's best player or anything, but you can find guys to do that. you can't find guys who do everything else he does.

again, dallas hangs up the phone anyway, but in a vacuum, i take doncic over either of our guys. we're not in a vacuum, though.

alam1108 likes this.
  19. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    The reason I disagree is because I actually think with the way the NBA is progressing, there will begin to be a few more guys like Luka who, like Lebron, can run teams and do a number of things on the court. Where as, I see centers with AD's skill set as being much rarer to find. I really like his defensive game too, guys like that are total game changers.