Cole Swider Discussion: Waived

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

A half a step behind Kuz in agility, but with a much better jumper.

PurPle n GoLd 1 likes this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, kuz is a much better athlete. it's as night and day as the difference between their three point accuracy. and for all the hate kuz got here and his pink sweaters and stuff, that guy competes and can do so with top nba talent. the comparison is a pretty serious insult to one of them.

Kenzo and alam1108 like this.
  3. Slick2021

I'm not as high on Kyle, I liked Lonzo, Brandon and Josh better. Kuz just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. He preened a lot if he had a decent game, then talked about wanting to take the next step up, then promptly ran from the spotlight every time that opportunity presented itself. Maybe it's just being young, IDK. As for as athleticism? Don't see it, he lacks springs IMO, if he had them he would be a pretty solid player.

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

If Swider is just a half step behind Kuz he wouldn’t have gone undrafted.

I still like my early comparison to Doug Mcdermott

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  5. Slick2021

I wasn't as impressed with Kyle's athleticism as some I guess. When it comes to getting to their spots, in order to launch their jumpers, I really don't see much of a difference in agility between the two. Kuz was able to get to the cup and get off floaters and what not. He has a better handle. He doesn't have any ups either.

6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

God I love his shot. Has to be a role for him and like several have said get him minutes early so he can feel comfortable as the games get more and more important later.

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Oh, no! @LTLakerFan attracted to another young player.

:)

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Well yes and yes. Reaves first way in front but watching Cole quick draw burying what was it 53% of his high volume 3s in summer league was exciting and that is a beautiful looking stroke. I’m going to love Max Christie too I think if he can develop a consistent scoring offense. Smooth good looking athlete.

Speaking of Max, like it’s had attention given to it already, he does have a fabulous frame to add basketball muscle to. Big for his 6’6” like Kobe.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Toklat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  9. PurPle n GoLd 1

PurPle n GoLd 1 - Lakers 6th Man -

Swiper no swiper

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that's closer in terms of athleticism, but again, mcdermott was a star in college, and he could score from anywhere, put the ball on the floor a bit and pass some. swider can shoot and only shoot. the rest of the skills would have to be some serious late blooming of the very uncommon variety.

anyway, we'll see when swider starts doing this:

11. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

My main gripe with Kuz was his lack of focus. He would have great games and then we wouldn't hear from him for awhile. I believe Cole's shot will be deadly consistent. It will be easier (not easy) for a good defensive coaching staff to teach him to play at least passable defense than to teach a good defender to be an assassin from three point land. His shot is a rare gift. Everybody would love to be a great three point shooter but it isn't that simple. If he wants to learn how to play defense he will. All indications seem to say he is a hard worker. I'm with LT on these young players.

Cookie, Slick2021, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LOL OX voice, "Why?"

abeer3 and Toklat like this.
  13. Toklat

They are talented, high character young men. Plus I like watching players develop...lol.

14. LTLakerFan

No it was a joke at agreeing with "me". He said "Why" earlier after Slick said he was "with me" on something else I said. All good. :D

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hmm...i'd argue that most 3 and d guys started out more d than 3, and there are very few (maybe zero) examples of the reverse.

16. LTLakerFan

We're just talking getting him passable and decent on D so we can put him out there with other guys to help him against other bench players and make use of his seemingly great shooting ability, not elite D and 3. I can't imagine that if he works hard and listens that he "can't" improve in that area. Even a bit with his quickness.

Edit. If he's willing to work hard physically and mentally on angles and smarts aspect, surely there's gear that our trainers have available. Like one quick search and just one link.

https://fitnesshealth.co/blogs/fitness/the-best-agility-training-equipment-for-athletes

I'd also say he was coming from college and in summer league all of a sudden exposed to NBA speed from some of the quicker players. That's always an adjustment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Toklat, Slick2021 and abeer3 like this.
  17. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

True.

Though I think if he shoots over 40% on at least 3/4 tries a game, he really needs to be horrible on the defense not to play. With his size, it doesn't take much to be serviceable on D and get minutes.
    Also in many lineups, especially small ball, at the 4 he would get guys like Crowder, Finney Smith/Kleber, Grant Williams and so on that are not offensive players so he can be protected

Toklat, Slick2021 and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's not about getting iso'd (though that's also a concern); it's about teams capitalizing on his lack of speed on rotations.

anyway, as most have figured out, i'm concerned more about defense than offense. duncan robinson is faster than swider and as good or a better shooter, and miami won't play the guy.

19. LTLakerFan

How do rest of Miami’s “shooters” stack up against our sky is falling lack of “shooters” 1 - 10? Honest question.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. Toklat

The good news about rotations is it is just as much if not more about positioning, knowing your schemes and anticipation that just speed. I can't imagine he can't be taught to be at least a serviceable defender. My point earlier was not that three and d players don't start out with defense, it was no matter how much they practice few can get to the level of shooting Cole already has. I'm giving the guy a shot. Another big advantage is he is already ours.

Cookie, svtzr and LTLakerFan like this.