1. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Climate change thread.

From what I understand, the internationally agreed upon number (as of the Paris meeting) of great danger is 2 degrees celsius, or about 8 degrees Fahrenheit. We hit that threshold if we burn 565 more gigatons of carbon emissions. We currently have 2,975 gigatons in reserves, just waiting to be burned. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

How urgent is climate change right now? How do we go about preventing catastrophe? Is it potentially worse than we thought?

Something that interests/scares me is the intersection of climate change and social issues. For example, we saw a drought in Syria in 2006 intensify things to where they are today.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

You sir, have just opened Pandora's Box...

[​IMG]

3. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Here's what I never understood about those that deny climate change:
    They claim scientists are in some sort of conspiracy to push this agenda forward.
    Many also claim that scientists are paid off by Monsanto and similar people in order to calm fears about genetic engineering. (Don't know the overlap there, but it has to be large, right?)
    The large oil companies, many of whom are partially responsible for the climate being in the state that it is in, are worth possibly hundreds of times more than companies that genetically engineer plants. They cannot pay off these same scientists.

It's either one or the other.

Or it's the same anti-intellectual bull that's always been spewed.

4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    LMAO @ Barns gif. Perfect!!!

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Ah "climate change". I remember when it was called "global warming" and the hole in the ozone layer was talked about as if it were a cute little thing we didn't need to worry about and could fix by not getting styrofoam containers at McDonald's or using hairspray.

6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Climate change, global warming, El Nino, Ice Age..... or as I like to call it: "weather."

Is it always gonna change? Yup.

Can we do things to slow the process or even eliminate our part? Yes.

Should the US be the only country spending billions to accomplish this? NO!

Do I trust the "experts" ? No. Gore has been making bold claims for years and profiting every time. He's rarely correct either, but I doubt that's his goal.

At the end of the day, I believe we need to take measures to slow the process, but it's far from our greatest threat, as many politicians on the Left claim and it's far from a non-issue as politicians on the Right claim.

7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
  9. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

I see where you're all coming from. It's just annoying as hell to me how some people say that 99% of scientists agree that humans are dangerously changing the climate yet the general public has nothing to say about it. The gap between science and regular people is way to big. I tend to trust scientists but damn i don't know the science behind it at all. how can i get mad at a climate change denier if i too dont know the science at all?? :(

10. Weezy

For the record, which I feel I should clarify because of my earlier joking comment, I do feel it is a real issue. I was simply making light of how cheesy and simple we could fix it when I was a kid, by not using hairspray or styrofoam McDonald's clam shell burger boxes. We've been polluting the planet since the industrial revolution like it never has been before.

I'm no expert, I'm no scientist, these are just my opinions, but irreparable damage is probably being done. Well, not irreparable, but we'd have to be gone for the Earth to start fixing itself naturally. I joke, because I don't see a solution, sometimes you screw yourself and generations after you by only thinking in the moment. Money, greed, progress, relying on fuels that will run out at some point, not smart. And what's the number of scientists agreeing this is an issue, like 97%? I dunno, that's a lot.

The Earth does go through cycles, catastrophes, it bounces back, but I don't think it's faced anything like this before on this scale. Unless of course there was advanced civilization long, long ago, that also wiped themselves out and mankind started over. Which I know some will laugh at, but I don't think it out of the realm of possibility. Lots of myths about that sort of thing, lots of ancient civilizations that are very advanced that seemed to pop up out of nowhere, perhaps people surviving past catastrophes passing on what little they could. I'll just say that if a civilization anything like ours existed long, long ago, and it was destroyed, of course we wouldn't see physical evidence, what we see still standing is stone structures, because that lasts a long time, and doesn't degrade really quickly like our buildings and such would if something really bad went down on a global scale. I think I'll stop ranting now because I'm not even sure on topic and I don't want to be labeled LB's conspiracy nut lol. Forgive me, I listen to lot of Fade to Black with Jimmy Church and Coast to Coast AM, love that stuff.

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Leo said during his acceptance speech that they had to go to the far corners of the Earth to find snow.

Really? Really Leo? All these smart people in Hollywood can't find snow?

Comments like that make me think Climate Change isn't everything they claim.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I heard they had trouble getting the perfect snow they needed while filming, but he definitely sounded like he was talking from a bubble there.

13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

We live in a desert climate here in Southern California. Guess what I saw TODAY on my way to work...That's right. Snow on the mountains. So those far corners for Leo are literally an hour drive. Maybe he meant the far corners of the LA Basin?

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Leo DiCaprio traveled 8000 miles in 2 different private jets to accept environmental award.

I'll say it again, it's tough to take them seriously when they do this.

sirronstuff and revgen like this.
  15. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think the reality is there really is no solution. We have taken all the computer models for ice melt and weather patterns and smashed them. We are currently way ahead of all projections and picking up steam. Now I don't pretend to understand any of the science behind this and tend to view both sides of this debate with mountains of skepticism as they both stand to greatly benefit one way or the other from their side winning what really is an economic and political battle. But I do know that while they sit arguing over billions of dollars the seas are rising, people are being devastated, and weather is becoming increasingly dangerous and random. Sadly I don't think there is a solution. Leading climatologist, the ones who don't stand to financially benefit one way or the other, seem to be saying be are way beyond reversing this thing. If we really want to address it we have to start looking at changing the way our world works. No more oil for both environmental and foreign policy reasons, and start adapting to the new norm of random crazy climate.

Helljumper and Barnstable like this.
  16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I personally jettison insane amounts of methane gas into the atmosphere. Getting rid of me and my spicy diet would help global warming.

17. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

This was written 6 months ago, but I just found it today.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/28/study-the-pause-in-global-warming-is-real/

For those who don't know, Michael Mann is the climate scientist who originally came up with the infamous "hockey stick" graph.

18. Weezy

It is November 8th and it was 93 degrees this afternoon in my town of Anaheim, CA, so I'm a believer. At this rate, people will be having pool parties for Thanksgiving. We have ruined the earth, I don't see a solution, greed and industry and "progress" have the planet f***** up, and I'm so freaking sick of this heat. I live in So-Cal, not Arizona, or Vegas, or the valley in LA, it's supposed to be comfortable here and always has been. Future generations will pay for the greed of the people at the top, and they'll go build mansions and live at the poles or something.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

[​IMG]

sirronstuff and Barnstable like this.
  20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Okay but part of your problem is you live in Anaheim.

Move to LB or HB or NP like a normal Orange County citizen.