Austin Reaves Discussion: Boston Mangler

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Why I'd like to see him pick up minutes too at the 2 or even 1 when LeBron or Nunn are out there. Not just out of position (some matchups) playing up at the 3 for sub minutes. He's more valuable to this team being consistent with good basketball being played than either Schroder or Russ for that matter, especially with his size.

Toklat and abeer3 like this.
  2. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I am on the record saying that he is a 6'6" Joe Ingles a month into his rookie season, even before knowing he himself said that this is who he models, somewhat, his game after.

3. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Reaves is a great young player. But we are also quite strong at the 1 & 2 in my opinion.

Westbrook (28) / Schroeder (20)
    Nunn (24) / Bev (24)

Which of those do we want to cut?

Bev is a better defender and shooter at the moment (unless Reaves ups his three). Nunn is a more explosive scorer and we’re going to need that.

And I’m not a fan of Reaves at the 1. I think long term he is a 2/3. So I’d play him 24 minutes with most coming at the backup 3.

alam1108 likes this.
  4. ZenMaster

I would take him at 1 over all of these, for different reasons. Nunn isn't really a PG, IMO, so...

Toklat likes this.
  5. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I said it in the game time chat but he just isn’t a PG. I’m not seeing why people are saying he should be, cause of his height and ability to get some assists?

He struggles to break down defences so he can’t get his defender off balance or to collapse the defence consistently enough to be a credible playmaker full time. That’s where we see most of his turnovers, trying to force things in half court.

But I think he can excel as a secondary ball handler, he makes some excellent decisions in transition and as a secondary outlet. I’m optimistic he can be a really good all round player and point forward.

NickthaQuick and abeer3 like this.
  6. ZenMaster

He may not be a great PG, but he's a better one than either of those you listed. Again, for various reasons.

Russ: I would take a week-old turd over him
    Bev: not anymore a PG than AR and he is not our future, might as well develop the latter
    Schroeder: he may be a little better at breaking the D off the dribble, but he doesn't make anyone around him better and he is NOT a better shooter
    Nunn: not a PG either and probably the one that should be playing WITH AR as the PG/SG combo.

So, at this point, I am not sure how can you argue that AR shouldn't be given the keys to PG when his only sensible competition is Pippen Jr.

P.S.

Oh, and then there is the usual -- why does it really matter if someone really is a PG? Bron's gonna have the ball most of the time for 30 minutes (hopefully) every game.

So then -- the PG spot should go to someone who will bind the team, defend and make the right play. That's AR... without any question.

Toklat likes this.
  7. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

So what's your rotation in 1/2?

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he struggles when guys get into him up top; he straight up lost the ball on one such play last night, and two games previous he threw away two simple entry passes for dunks. all of these are in the same area of the floor where you need your pg to not do those things. bev has basically zero pg instincts, but he doesn't do those things.

i love reaves, but you can't run him at pg. he can't defend that spot, and he can't do some of the basic functions.

but you can definitely get him the ball on the wing or in motion and expect him to be a great playmaker. not the same thing, though.

Pioneer10 and svtzr like this.
  9. ZenMaster

I think AR and Nunn, if he's back to his Finals form, should start.

Russ should retire.

Schroeder and Beverly would be the first backcourt subs if there are no glaring size issues.

You know what, I'd argue I'd prefer Christie as the SG sub because Walker's useless.

10. ZenMaster

No PG is going to really facilitate. Hence AR as the nominal PG works.

Regardless of who you want to pencil at what position, we do not have a better PG that would be worth putting there over AR, ESPECIALLY if you also would like to develop your young players.

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

honestly, both russ and schroder would make me more comfortable doing general pg stuff.

again, i'm a huge reaves fan, but i'm not seeing him as a pg. and the "nominal" designation is misleading here, i think. point forwards are sort of nominally forwards but actually initiators--they just don't do the bulk of the actual ballhandling. this is why magic johnson was a pg (he brought the ball up against pressure or otherwise) and lebron's been a point forward. reaves is more like ingles, as svtzr said. you can't throw him out there without a more competent ballhandling guard, imo.

12. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think it’s more to do with hating Russ and Schroeder than anything else. Because the argument is well we can’t play them - so who’s next up.

The problem with that is you’re setting Reaves up to fail. He should do what is within his circle of competence. Not because we hate the current PGs.

On top of that I believe both of them are better PGs anyway. And I think our 1 & 2 rotation is going to be a highlight this year.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Reaves is not a 1 in any way, shape or form. He can't run the offense and he can't really defend that position well. You have to put the young guy in a position to succeed. There's no way he's better at that position than Russ and Dennis, regardless of Westbrook's problems and how he fits with the team. AR is just not that guy, although it's really good to have him in other roles.

Juronimo likes this.
  14. ZenMaster

Again... he doesn't need to be. He needs to be 1 of the PG/SG on the floor, most of the game.

I dare to show me a single real PG, that "ran the offense", Bron has ever played with.... I don't even know... Irving? And before him, Eric Snow?

The rest of the options are worse, not sure how this can be argued if you ask yourself. who do you want on the floor more out of these options...

If your answer is Russ or Shroeder, like I see here... we've had a vastly different last 2 years.

And I disagree with bringing the ball up against pressure. But even if I conceded that, it's not that common really and Nunn can do that. Transition he is fine. Sets he is fine. The two morons are better dribblers is the leg you guys left standing on and it's sad.

Russ is not a better defender and whatever advantaged Dennis and Beverly might have are negated the moment there is some size on the other team's backcourt.

The game isn't played in a vacuum. And not in a vacuum AR is a better option.

P.S. I also suggest to go and check Ingles games...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I agree, Austin is under control, sees the court, his passes are right in the shooting spot. He plays good defense and rebounds. Pretty good shooter but not shooting doesn't effect his game. We look better when he plays. We can call him a 1-3 doesn't matter so much as he needs to be on the court with the ball in his hands. I like how much easier he makes the game for Lebron. You get Lebron moving and someone that knows where to put the ball he is going to score. That is a freight train no one wants to get in front of. Austin doesn't help as much when regulated to just stand in the corner.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Yeah I don't see Reaves as a PG... he's a great weak side creator though and should continued to be used as such. Giving him full PG duties (or secondary PG duties with Lebron) is a recipe for disaster. And its not needed with Nunn and especially Schroder on the roster.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. ZenMaster

Hopefully Ham thinks differently, as Reaves was a de-facto PG for large parts in game 2 of the preseason.

Toklat likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

you mean to verify that he shared the floor with either conley (most of the time), mitchell (almost all the rest of the time), clarkson, or a combination of both? all guys who blow by pressure if it comes.

reaves with nunn can work, as you said, because nunn is stronger with the ball (though still shaky, imo) and can defend pgs. but reaves without another ballhandling guard can't work, imo. not now.

19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

What if he's the 1 in finishing lineups with Lebron?

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

who's guarding the opposing pg?