Anthony Davis Discussion: That's Why They Pay Me The Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

right. i love these #2 arguments. so there's like, 3 #1 guys in the league? ok. good luck holding out for them.

also, AD is probably about as valuable as those guys, too, tbh. two-way all nba big that can't be played off the floor by smallball opponents. there's one of those and we have him (mayyybe two if you count embiid).

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Are you saying you think a team can win with AD as the best player?

I haven’t seen that ability yet

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Step up ... shoot it up .... and get his wuss a** back out there.

:KobePoint:

:D

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yes. he led the pelicans to the playoffs and i think nearly 50 wins (check the rest of that roster).

give him an allstar sidekick, and he gets you home court in round 1. give him another, and you can win it all.

the disrespect for AD is pretty f***ing shocking, tbh, particularly coming from his own team's fans.

and i said all this about AD long before we had a shot at him. name the players who CAN win as a #1 if he can't.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Seems to struggle with consistency sometimes, why I think @sirronstuff has a point ... but yeah.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    He’s missed too many games in his career and been out of the first round once before joining the Lakers. Lots of reasons for questions.

The reality is we may never know, but I’m not saying he’s not super talented. Out of all the young talent in the league, he would have to be towards the top of the list of the people you would want, but I just don’t see him as a dominant leader us spoiled Laker fans are accustomed to.

off the charts expectations and standards

abeer3 likes this.
  7. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I'm used to agreeing with virtually all of your posts, but this one I had to comment on. AD was #1 on the list of players I wanted to see in Lakers uniform long before we traded for him, there's basically no player I would trade him for. As great as Luka, Giannis and Embiid are, I'm still keeping AD. He may not be as durable as LBJ, but it's not like he's mr. glass, and when he is available, he's the absolute total package. If last year's PO didn't prove that, I don't know what could to be honest. He was a force of nature and even though Bron deserved the finals MVP, AD was every bit as mportant to the team's success throughout the playoffs.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

sure, but who's that guy then? giannis's team has flamed out spectacularly in the playoffs. luka is poised to finish 7th/8th again. lebron would have finished 5th-8th the year before we got AD had he not gotten injured.

if the standard for #1 is you can get your team a title without another all-nba teammate, there's been like, wilt. and that may be it. and actually he didn't get a ring until he was with us (and three other hofers).

AD is a #1. and one of the best. he had crappy teams around him in NO. every single year. we traded our entire roster aside from lebron for him and won a title the next year. the roster that was going to finish in the bottom half of the playoff picture at best.

9. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Well, if AD ends up winning 2 or 3 titles in the next 5 years and then falls off, I'd say it evens out.

For me, pass the green turds this year and the Lakers can not win another one for a few years if that's their destiny.

At this point, winning in 2020 has stamped Lebron and AD as Laker greats to me.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

need to see him handle double teams better 1st but the injuries are a theme now, cant argue that

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think this will be the first year (except for when NO sat him) that he won't play at least 75% of games. people acting like he's yao ming.

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

well if he always has some sort of injuries that seem to linger every yr its not a good sign, the heel last yr n the strain this yr might continue going forward

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he's probably one of the more durable bigs around, tbh. i guess jokic would be the exception, and maybe KAT, too. but embiid's career high games played is basically AD's low.

my opinion is that this year's injury is either the same or related to last year's. had we just sat him to start the year, he'd probably be fine and playing right now. but he wanted to prove a point to, i guess, the fans on this site. so here we are.

wallangong likes this.
  14. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Offensively , he's a great finisher and scorer but I think he has to become a way better passer to become a true number 1 option .

Plus it's just very difficult for a big to be a number 1 option in today's game ( shoot and make a lot of 3's) and rules with how a defense can zone you up on your post ups and isos , smallers defenders can hack you and get away with it

He's the best 2 way big today and one of the 3rd/4th best 2nd option on a championship team ever ..

Edit : And yes Abeer3 , there are very few number 1 options which can lead you to a title : Bron , Curry , Kawhi did it once but his body is falling off , KD hasn't done it . Giannis and Luka have the potential and that's it .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’m gonna be that guy, not even Curry did it. Irving and Love got injured and it STILL went 6, then when they were healthy next Finals the Cavs won. Then Durant joined them like a coward because his team choked to them the season before. Kawhi doesn’t beat the Warriors if Durant and Klay don’t go down either, the list of #1’s who have and can do it is very small. For 20 years it’s essentially been Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Wade, Dirk, and LeBron. Expand it to 30 years and you get to add Jordan and Olajuwon, that’s it.

LTLakerFan, wallangong and abeer3 like this.
  16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Injuries are part of the game , Curry was injured/limited in the 2016 playoffs too ...

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

how many years in a row was klay thompson all nba before his injuries? i think AD with curry's cast is pretty formidable. i think you're seeing what curry is with AD's former cast right now, too.

my thesis is pretty iron-clad here, as evidenced by the attempts to undermine it. my argument is that AD can't be evaluated in the same way as other "#1"s because lebron is the first star he's ever played with other than himself. he did as well as any star without any other stars on their team save maybe dirk, lebron, and wilt (only guys to compete for/win titles without an allstar teammate).

SamsonMiodek and wallangong like this.
  18. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    ^I would also like to add to that that AD has been absolutely spectacular in the one season and especially postseason when he actually had a good team around him. I understand the concerns with his health, but questions as to whether he's a true No. 1 option are mind boggling to me, seriously. As others have pointed out, if he's not a true No. 1 option, there are maybe 2 in the entire NBA right now, and like 3-4 max every decade.

Juronimo and abeer3 like this.
  19. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I agree, and it's especially weird considering his spectacular play here when healthy. It was obvious he wasn't healthy when the season started.

SamsonMiodek and lakerjones like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -