Anthony Davis Discussion: That's Why They Pay Me The Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

funny thing about that comment is that i can't sure if it was meant to be derisive. i mean, if ben wallace could score 25 efficient points per game on a variety of moves from a variety of spots, he's like...GOAT-level, right?

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

And Ben Wallace without those moves was arguably the best player on a Championship team. It was either him or Sheed.

3. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Days later and still making the Ben Wallace jokes.

Which I find amusing, although somewhat hypocritical in the case of some.

What has been most people's complaint about my posts? The repetition.

Yet as we can see, repetition of popular opinions is welcome and encouraged.

I long ago retracted my comment... admitting it was too over the top.

But my point still stands that Ben Wallace went to two conference finals, a final, and won a chip within four or five years.

Anyone want to bet that AD will accomplish the same?

He's a very talented player but has yet to show the impact of certain lesser players in terms of leading a team to victory.

And yes I realize that AD would have won with that supporting cast as well.

Problem is we traded his supporting cast to acquire him so things will be difficult if LBJ ages sooner than we hope.

I've never said I didn't want AD. I've only said we spent too much. Time will tell who is right.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Gee you picked the one dig “individually” tossed and then twice validated to your support to get the green light to clarify again your position.

While skipping right over a paragraph I wrote outrageously saying BI at the same age as AD now will have the greater offensive repertoire .... because of his even more focused work ethic. I kinda expected to get hammered on that a bit from at least someone but that didn’t happen.

Juronimo likes this.
  5. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Wasn't one dig. Like my ridiculed IT for Kuzma comment... it provided laughs for at least a week.

Difference is that I enjoy the banter... and happy to continue the back and forth.

I like AD and will repeat that until my side also fully sinks in. Notice how when some people quote my posts they conveniently cut them down to one out of context bullet point? I feel your pain.

I already accepted that this board had a more generous opinion towards Ingram than LG did.

Still doesn't change my dismay at the price.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Snippets get cut when the rest of a post has been repeated numerous times. Ultimately, people are poking fun just like friends around the world are doing every day. Posters do it to each other here every day and have a good laugh. Someone pokes fun at you and you see it as an opportunity to post the same take in slightly different words again.

Even above, you insist that you will repeat your AD take until your side sinks in? You still haven’t realized that we get it. We’re not dense, we simply disagree and there isn’t one iota of current evidence that suggests anyone should change their stance on the AD trade. If you insist on repeating that take, then you still don’t comprehend why people are sick of it.

7. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

No different than how I am sick of the other opinion.

8. wallangong

You’re sick of facts? You’re sick of being 1st in the West? The other opinion comes out in response to your “devil’s advocate” position.

Intentional or not, your posts and ensuing explanations of your posting mindset are the definition of trolling.

9. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Earlier in the season we were 34-3 and the Pelicans were in the toilet.

At the all star break we've been playing closer to .500 ball and the Pels are about the same as us the last 20 or so games.

We are looking for players like Waiters and JR to "put us over the top"

Things have changed for the worse but I shut up because at least we just had a good game and I know pointing that out isn't welcome here.

That seems like a fact to me.

10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Don't think you're special. We've ran with jokes for seasons at length.

Souped up.... (glad to see this had a reemergence)
    Thick. Solid.

11. wallangong

Now you're making up facts.

Lakers Last 10 Games: 7-3
    Last 20 Games: 15-5

Pelicans Last 10 Games: 6-4
    Last 20 Games: 12-8

So 3 games worse over the last 20 is "about the same as us?"

We're looking at players like Waiters and JR to fill the 15th spot on the 1st team in the West, and that's an argument against the AD trade?

Clearly what seems like a fact to you is an illusion. As usual, deflecting from the actual point because you don't have a leg to stand on. You just want LB to the First Take of the internet and intentionally stir up disagreement because that's fun for you.

12. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Lakers have gone 17-9 since mid December
    Pelicans have gone 16-10

Depending where I'm drawing the line... one team is on the rise, and the other still excellent but less than invincible.

The Pels beat Boston, Memphis, Indiana twice, Portland, Houston, Denver, Utah during that run.

You can disagree with me, but you knew I wasn't exaggerating. Come on, man.

I'm still fully rooting for our team, but I'm worried because there are holes.

If I didn't care, I'd be enjoying the Pelicans games instead and not bothering with the headache of arguing my point.

13. wallangong

Ah yes the imaginary line that you get to draw to support your own argument after you get called out. Forget about the 9 game winning streak the Lakers had going into that tough 4 game stretch, that doesn't make your point. You literally said we've been playing closer to .500 ball. I don't think 7 games over in your handpicked sample is close to .500. So yes, I knew for a fact that you were exaggerating.

Despite this exercise, the Pelican's performance in no way is a barometer of how the trade fared for the Lakers. You don't make trades and measure their success on your organization by how the other team performs. Right now, the returns are overwhelmingly positive for the Lakers and the best possible outcome for New Orleans given the trade demand.

14. LTLakerFan

:This:

And especially if they're not well thought out or just wrong and are throwing further fuel on the fire to an already annoyed audience of individuals. The overwhelming audience of every forum you go on and try to convince to the opposite. And then you double down and defend those to the death too. Maybe not souped up Ben Wallace where you've backtracked but your take on Rob and the Lakers / AGI's attempt to land Kawhi Leonard was (half a**ed) and "last minute". Repeated multiple times. Even after it comes out in repeated reports that Leonard in fact was resigned to coming to the Lakers until the Clippers nabbed Paul George at the 12th hour.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  15. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

What do you mean imaginary line? The Pels were a quarter of a game away last night from having the exact same record as us over the last 26 games which is no small sample. They beat a lot of good teams... some that we didn't beat over that time.

You didn't call out anything. I said 20 or so games. Last I heard... 26 is included within the category of twenty or so games. You're the one who intentionally chose a smaller sample size to "prove" your point.

You say the Pelicans performance is in no way a barometer... but were people saying that when they were losing 13 games in a row?

I don't remember you calling anyone out for using that as a standard when the information was working in your favor.

You can disagree with me all you want... but trying to characterize my posts as a lie is absurd and I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish when people can easily see that they aren't.

16. wallangong

The imaginary line refers to the intentionally misleading statement that the Lakers have been a .500 team going into the ASG. You made the claim without any parameters, then after the fact you decide the cut off. Even that cutoff leaves them well above .500 in that sample size. The fact is, you represented the Lakers as being a meddling .500 team since starting 34-3. Also, it was 24-3. I'd normally give the benefit the doubt for a typo, but based on the misrepresentation of our team as a .500 ballclub, I can't help but believe you pulled that number out of thin air and actually believed we started off with that record.

People only brought up the Pelicans in response to you trying to compare the two. Since the season started, nobody was trying to gloat that it was the best trade ever and we fleeced the Pels. People have just been happy to enjoy AD and pretty much everyone has wished well for the kids in New Orleans. You've been instigating the discussion and banging the same drum for months, but when people push back you play the victim.

Your posts misrepresent facts and all you have to do is read them to see as much.

17. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    Chauncey Billups was pretty damn good too. even rip Hamilton had his moments

Cookie likes this.
  18. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I said "closer to .500" I'll admit that I was lazy and didn't take into account the last four or five games... but there was an extended period during that 26 game stretch where that's where we played. Hardly a misrepresentation.

I'll also admit that I carried over some animosity from the other forum and vented here unfairly... but I've tried to mitigate my commentary to a certain extent when people pointed out to me that most were supportive of Ingram.

But when we are short some wings, the frustration flares again.

Especially when I see the names we are pursuing.

19. LTLakerFan

Rather than remind us of your ongoing unhappiness in the face of this team's performance so far this year .... who do you cut, when we needed ball handling and shooting we "tried" to address ... and who would you have signed instead with the money available. Forget NOT that Rob left one slot open.

That doesn't open the door for you to grump over Vogel's decision to not play Cook and Daniels as much since we have them, as you or others of us would like to see, just to see how it goes. They wouldn't be here when you tell us your grand lineup scheme for good additional defensive wings and no holes with shooting or ball handling and shot creation, with the dollars available after signing Danny Green who most agree was a good move even at 15m.

20. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I think the Lakers did great with the AD trade and the rest of the NBA teams should be thanking them.

Imagine having to deal with a team of AD/Zion/Jrue Holiday with all their first round picks for the next 5 years.
    :Sunglassguy:

With Zion's rookie deal they could probably afford a near max deal without having to get a pick either. That's a far scarier team then the one they have now: replication of the classic SAS gambit of adding freakin Duncan to the Admiral move

abeer3 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.