Anthony Davis Discussion: That's Why They Pay Me The Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Sure we can discount his poor shooting from 3 and his injuries as of late but this is the year those excuses stop for me. If he continues to have these problems it’s no longer bad luck or lack of rhythm. It is what it is at that point. He’s certainly not doing himself any favors by not picking up a basketball for months this summer if he wants to become a better shooter. Especially because he rested his body half the year as it was because of injuries.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think this is a big year for him, but i expect him to look like the AD he was for several years prior to the injuries. not sure what's to be gained by repeatedly suggesting that he's dead/soft/whatever. you going to be happy if you were right? congrats, i guess. what should we have traded him for?

i think it's wild how quickly fans turned on AD after he delivered a title here. and i think it matters because future ADs are watching how he's treated and might be thinking that forcing a trade to la when you could have gone anywhere might not be the best idea.

SamsonMiodek and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. Cookie

I think you’re being unfair to Laker fan @abeer3. I can’t speak for everyone of course but I believe fans respect and support players who play hard whether they are the most or least talented player on the roster. AD dogged it for the first part of both the last 2 seasons. I gave him a pass for the season after the championship because of the quick turnaround. He didn’t have any excuse for last season. Yes he was injured and I don’t blame him for that but even when he wasn’t injured he half assed it quite a bit. By his own admission he didn’t even pick up a basketball for months after the end of the season. That doesn’t show dedication to your craft in my eyes.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think he dogged it at the beginning of last year, but looked fully engaged before his second injury. and his injuries were just bad luck/big guy moving in ways only small guys usually move type injuries. they weren't conditioning-related or anything.

anyway, i don't see much of this directed at lebron, who dogged it for the full season. his thread isn't full of lebron doomsaying (except from sirron). AD's brought as much to the franchise as lebron has, tbh, and it's weird to me that he's become some sort of villain on the forum. i get why russ did, though. it's not the same.

Cookie likes this.
  5. Cookie

I don’t think you’re talking to me but I complained all the time in game chats about Bron dogging it during games, complaining to the refs and not even crossing mid court or blaming his teammates for his missed coverages. I think others joined me for sure. In Bron defense though, he’s old as a dinosaur and can’t go 100% of the time anymore and that’s one of the main reasons I didn’t want to give him max money for part time work. AD is too young to have that excuse.

abeer3, ElginTheGreat and Toklat like this.
  6. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Completely agree. We can support him and still expect him to work to improve.

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  7. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

AD is in the prime. LeBron is 38. So no, they don't have the same bar.
    LeBron is and should still be criticized for many things. But AD should be in MVPs talks every year, that was the expectation created with him. Instead we are going to year 4 and the goal going into the season is that he's healthy

We've discussed this in the past, so no need to get into it again. It is what it is and hope he has a great season

8. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

If Anthony's body is right, he's going to be outstanding this season IMO. I think we made a big mistake by not sitting him out in the first half of the season after the bubble. The guy was killing Phoenix hobbling around on one leg. It's crazy that it hasn't even been 2 years since the bubble Finals. I can't prove it, but I think rushing right into another season, contributed to a rash of injuries league wide.

Juronimo, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    :ADeyeshift:
    I'm alone in my laBron displeasure?

10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

@abeer

We have to trade him. (Being facetious)...maybe.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

All those guys out ought to spell a good number of minutes for Reaves and we should see Pippen some too. Just to annoy @abeer3

:giggle:

Toklat likes this.
  12. sirronstuff

and so it begins....

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

:D Why do they bother to report this? I’m sure plenty of super tall players experience this frequently and it’s nothing, but of course because it’s AD Lakers fans are gonna be like “oh boy here we go”, and Laker haters are gonna hate. It’s silly. But yeah, get some picks and a young prospect before he snaps in half.

14. sirronstuff

AMEN hahahahahaha

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

More games played this season, AD or Zion? :D

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL that’s an interesting wager.

sirronstuff likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

honestly, it's a bad sign. i'm in the best shape of my life and hope to play all 82, but can't go for 15 minutes in the preseason opener due to a non-contact injury.

he'll still play more than zion, though, which is part of my gripe with everyone re: AD.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think it’s been clear for a while that AD is closer to injury prone than an Ironman. So something like this where he has tightness from ramping up is just par for the course.

It’s the injuries where he is out for months that are really killer. If we could avoid one of those and get him healthy to the playoffs that would be ideal. I’m fine with him playing 65 games and being healthy.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

oh, yeah. i've always said you should only expect 65-70 games from him, and that he'll be banged up during some of it. that's been the story his whole career. what i push back against is that he's only to be counted on for 40 games a year from here on out.

what i don't like about this is the timing. just being a former athlete, when you've been conditioning properly, these things shouldn't happen right away, imo. speaking of, otto porter's already out with a camp hammy, or, the jerry stackhouse special.

Toklat, LTLakerFan and svtzr like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

This is a big year for him if he wants to change some of the narratives out there. Hoping for at least 65 to 70 games with strategic rests.