Anthony Davis Discussion: That's Why They Pay Me The Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

There you are. Meet me at the Tilted Kilt, at 3 o'clock tomorrow. You know where I'm at. We will settle this softness argument like men. Actually, high probability, I will be the only one solving things.

Just kidding....

abeer3 likes this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    :Laugh:

I have no problem going back to jail.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

soft robin. he's either supposed to be hitting more threes...or shouldering through everyone and dunking like prime shaq. otherwise, meh.

4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

So far, AD with a 5 is where it’s at offensively. Surprisingly it’s on defense where AD at the 5 is showing promise but not by much if you see the numbers defensively where he plays next to Dwight.

The numbers also show AD/Dwight are a much better pairing than AD/McGee.

https://www.pbpstats.com/wowy-combo...erIds=203076,2730,201580&OnlyCommonGames=true

Btw, abeer mentioned it in another thread, so I thought it was best to post it here.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  5. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

6. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Freakin Woj, hater. I bet he still curls up and cries at least once a week.

7. sirronstuff

Some pretty amazing AD sequences last night. I didn’t think he played soft or settled either. It was nice to see.

lakerjones likes this.
  8. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

That flyby and recover to still block the 3 was one of the most absurd things I’ve seen. Dudes a mutant

JSM, Battle Tested20, tada and 7 others like this.
  9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    We still owe the Pelicans a couple more players for AD.

RIP Ed Davis too.

10. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

This game is how AD should be playing all the time and you'll see my comments reflected that in the game thread.

No settling for threes or taking low percentage long midrange shots...

He was aggressive and took the ball to the hoop.

25 points on 9 of 11 from the field... super efficient.

His Batman impact was on the defensive end though... dominating performance.

Some of his early games were soft... no less than the great Wilt Chamberlain used to shoot fadeaway jumpers late in his career instead of dominating inside. Imagine if Shaq kept shooting low percentage fadeaways instead of overwhelming everyone in the paint... would have been frustrating to say the least. For me who grew up watching UCLA Walton... Kareem... Shaq... AD still feels like a Robin offensively.

But that was about as perfect a game as you could ask for.

11. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I assume you have also watched the likes of Jerry West, John Stockton, MJ, Kobe and all the other great guards of the past. Makes me wonder how you can still be such a huge Haren fan.

BTW, not all great big men were dominating with sheer power. The great KAJ was also not dunking on people all the time and the game has generally evolved further away from the basket. Don't gen mw wrong, I like the good old power dunk as much as any older BB fan, but what AD does is working and will probably result in a prolonged career. Calling him soft is a huge stretch.

12. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Again, I'm not a Harden fan (although I wouldn't mind him paired with AD later on) I just am responding to the disproportionate hate. Unless he somehow manages to start winning some titles, I'd rate him below all of those guards as well as Magic. Hell, I rate him below Doncic and I'm sure I could think of many others if I looked at a list.

Kareem imposed his will offensively on every team. He did so whether it was Chamberlain, Lanier, Thurmond, Moses even with his slight frame by perfecting the skyhook. The Bucks went from 27-55 to 56-26 his rookie year and that was before they added Oscar. AD had no such effect on the Pelicans.

AD is a beast on defense... he needs to apply that mentality on offense. Last night he showed me how he should play all the time. No lazy midrange shots... just high percentage shots. I wouldn't mind if he took the midrange to keep the defense honest but sometimes it seems like he just shoots them when he should let a real shooter do the job instead.

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

kareem was a 4-year college player, and the league was very different back then in terms of talent saturation and the way the rules worked regarding playing near the basket as a big man. not to say AD is near kareem, but if that's the bar, everyone ever pretty much sucks.

AD's game looked similar to me last night as what i've seen for most of his career. i think utah's defense was so bad that he was able to get easy shots (they were awful, pretty much all game--other teams would have hung 130 on them, easy). i think he "settles" for jumpers sometimes because good defenses are allowing only those.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  14. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

The Pels were still 30-52 when AD was 22 years old. What's funny is that many wrote off Ingram at 21... he's averaging 25 at 22 which is on par with AD at the same age... Obviously Ingram isn't at AD's level defensively... but I don't get the double standard here. We need to be patient for AD to start winning, but Ingram's a failure because he did nothing so far?

I agree Utah looked lacking on defense. You automatically think Gobert... but other than him it's a wasteland. Probably should have kept Favors in retrospect even though I never really loved his game. At any rate, this still should be the game he aspires to, constantly attacking the rim... getting their big men in foul trouble... especially with his FT%.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Kobedisbelief:

Big of you to concede that.

abeer3, SamsonMiodek and Kenzo like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

All this manly kick a** stuff down low some of you are pining for with AD ... I guess you forgot he has or had something going on with his shoulder that he is trying not to make worse?

17. sirronstuff

please don't give soft charmin a** mutha f***ers grown a** men any excuses

---Kobe (Probably)

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Sure seems like you're a fan, with all the efort you put into convincing an entire board or declared haters lol. If you're really not a fan, I honestly admire your persistence in this lost cause. Believe me you will never convince anybody here Harden is not a cheating, overrated, abomination of a basketball player. Which isn't to say he isn't very talented, he's just a f***ing disgrace and one of the reasons the quality of basketball nowadays is going down the toilet. You are entitled to your opinion on this point of course, but to me at least it is kind of a surprising one for a guy who claims to have watched Wilt play.

I didn't mention the great KAJ to suggest AD has a similar impact. There will never be another Kareem and AD will most probably never reach his level of impact, certainly not on offense. What I did mean was that some of the all-time greats, including the greatest one, were also more of the finesse and less of the power variety. Comparing AD, or any other player to Shaq, and expecting them to play similar ball is really not very reasonable take and a recipe for guaranteed disappointment. By the way, neither Shaq nor KAJ were the defenders AD is ;).

19. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Man, AD is working out better than I'd hoped. Such a shame he's leaving for his home town of Chicago in the offseason because obviously that is a real thing . . .

JSM, abeer3, tada and 5 others like this.
  20. LTLakerFan