Andre Drummond Is A Sixer!

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by OmarE, Mar 28, 2021.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Good example of what Drumm brings to the table defensively

Also looking forward to all the looks Bron can get him that the rest of the roster aren't capable of giving him. Drumm has gotten some great positioning especially against smaller guys. But the guards can't make the pass, thread it through traffic, or telegraph it into a TO.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Wino, IE Lakers, tada and 4 others like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that was a good team rotation, for sure.

lakerjones, LTLakerFan and Cookie like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Kind of why (everyone hustling and rotating, not just AD2) .... I wonder what more can be done with the WMCs of we need to defend the 3 better? I mean sure we could be perfect in our instantaneous reactions with the defense on a string thing .... but when the opposing team is knocking them down like “that” ... what’s next? The old ‘Antoni strategy plea during time outs, “we’ve got to play harder / faster”?

IE Lakers, abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  4. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This a great twitter thread lol

5. Pioneer10

You tip your hat to them and play the same defense: that shots probably has a 10-20% change to in? You can have a run of these but over a game or even a quarter should even out.

Now of course, that was an ideal scenario - Drummond messed up some of the same rotations in the same game and quarter. In that case you have to think about switching up but then that is always the Lakers trump card AD at the 5 which should work against every contender except maybe Philly

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  6. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

I didn't catch the game, but I saw the stats 19 rebounds, + 14 on the +-, pretty impressive.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i watched the game and the +14 surprised me, actually. i saw him eating up boards, but his offense was an eyesore, imo.

he definitely impacted the game with his physicality, though.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

He impacted Richardson’s knee in the 1st quarter with his knee in an iffy move and damn near took it out. :DemarcusT150:

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, he had the most impact. 14/19/3 with one steal and 3 blocks? I mean, that's very impressive. I thought he was hacked a lot early on, but no calls.

JSM, lakerjones, Khmrp and 1 other person like this.
  10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The calls in general last night I felt were skewed homer. A bit of home cooking going on by the refs.

Cookie likes this.
  11. Pioneer10

Frustrating guy to watch. I lose track of the times where he make the right initial read on defense or gets into good position on offense then basically seems to give up on the play.

For example, he'll switch onto a guard on the PnR and do a good job preventing penetration but then won't rotate back inside once the ball moves.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    KobeJeterKaep, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We'll see how much time it will take Vogel to bench him during the playoffs .

Vogel did make the right adjustments in the bubble so I'm not worried but losing time to try to build some chemistry with Drummond to inevitably go back to Marc at some point/start AD at the 5 is a dumb decision .

Lakers FO bought into the fact the center position was a pb at some point whereas it actually never was .

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

preach. we needed a backup/third string center, not a starter looking for a pay day next year.

wcsoldier81 likes this.
  14. Pioneer10

Not re-signing dwight remains the only move Pelinka I think bombed on.

He may prove right in the end if Drummond buys in but both him and Gasol don't seem to be at the point in their careers where they're all about the team.
    Can't really blame Drummond as he wants to get another contract but Gasol come in he should know better

jbiggs, Kenzo and abeer3 like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think we know he bombed on it. howard took a bigger role for the same cash. unless you're arguing we shouldn't have signed gasol. i disagree there. he's a more valuable player than howard, so if it was one or the other (and i think it was), i choose gasol.

if we actually could have had both, obviously dumb. but i don't think rob (or anyone) is that dumb.

honestly, i think gasol starting and playing 18mpg at center with harrell and AD playing all backup c minutes was what was best for the team, and that's what gasol wanted.

if we keep drummond AND he figures out how to be part of a winning formula, yes, this was brilliant. i think neither happens, personally. be happy to be wrong on both counts.

16. Pioneer10

So frustrating watching this guy: he's so big and athletic yet he's makes so many stupid decision on defense and can't finish easy layups.
    He's like a weird hybrid of Dwight's body, Kwame Brown hands on offense and Javale slow decision making on defense.

Comparing him to Dwight or even Gasol on defensive IQ makes me get heartburn.

KobeJeterKaep likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

reminds me so much of kwame brown, tbh. super strong, crazily quick feet for their size, poor hands, low hoop iq, pretty much no real offensive game to speak of.

only real difference to me is drummond is confident and aggressive and kwame was neither. and that does matter, as is borne out in their statistical differences. but i just don't think you win a lot of games with him playing a big role.

Pioneer10 and wallangong like this.
  18. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

can't say pistons and cavs fans didn't warn us

abeer3 likes this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He's doing just fine. 12/11/2, a steal (almost 2 actually) and a block, shooting career best FT%, after only 11 games with the team, barely knowing what's going on. Yes, he is not a high IQ player and he has small hands. But he's definitely contributing. Once Bron comes back and AD is back to being his old self, Drummond does not need to be featured. These numbers are simply extra on top of everything else. I think he'll fit very well next to Bron.

JSM, Kenzo, Helljumper and 3 others like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

but will he play that way? will he channel the non-touches on offense into intelligent team and positional defense? he has yet to do that at any stage of his career.

if he does, fantastic! but it would be a new thing.