Andre Drummond Is A Sixer!

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by OmarE, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

NY's defense frustrated him this whole game. Obviously stellar against the Nets, but I wasn't a fan of his energy against the Knicks.

Gasol had a good stretch in the 4th and Vogel should have went to him earlier, not the first time this has happened.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    ADKOBE and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Man for a guy who gets a lot of rebounds, the team rebounding still looks bad at times with him in the game.
    He needs to box out if he can't the board himself or the team needs to help him on the glass: Charlotte just killed it on the offensive glass

3. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

It's going to be different strokes for different foks. Some fans are going to want 20 and 15 a game from him. I just hope Drummond rebounds the ball, sets good screens, plays defense like Howard last season. He will be asked to do more in certain match ups.

4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He was alright. 14 rebounds, 3 steals and a block is good.

Barnstable, JSM and lakerjones like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i was pretty frustrated with his rebounding watching the game, which is odd considering he pulled down quite a few. i think it's because he almost never boxes out. we got killed on the defensive glass while he was out there. harrell comes in and puts a butt on guys, and we stop giving up the second chances.

6. Pioneer10

Individual rebounding doesn't necessarily translate into better team rebounding. He just doesn't box out so if he doesn't get the board it actually leave the team as whole more vulnerable to losing a rebound. It's why a guy like Brook Lopez has relatively poor rebounding number but his teams actually tend to rebound better then the opponent is he boxes out really well.

Drummond is a frustrating player and at times he's a poster child for the empty stats kind of a guy. That being said all of this should be a lot better when he's playing with AD and Lebron. They're both great rebounders and he won't be the focal point of the offense

IE Lakers, Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
  7. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

A Player like Drummond is gonna go off if he gets to play next to a healthy AD & LeBron...

8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Haha Kuz firing shots at Detroit and Cleveland. He’s not wrong though

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hmmm...don't know if the detroit and cleveland coaches all deserve that. if anything, it's usually the front offices of those bad teams that let their young players develop bad habits like drummond has. i don't know many coaches that would be happy about a big guy that doesn't box out and plays outside his limits offensively. that they don't do a better job correcting it probably speaks to the incentives laid out by their bosses.

Pioneer10 likes this.
  10. karacha

Easily one of the best sports quotes I've heard recently. Kuz has figured it out. Many people never do.

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    no need to diss coaches, wow

especially when all they have to say is two words in return

fashion. choices.

:Laugh:

abeer3 likes this.
  12. karacha

I don't know if I agree there, it's their job to fix those bad habits. At least to some degree. I'm sure Vogel is trying to get Drummond up to speed and show him what he needs to do once Bron and AD come back. We don't need him trying to be Hakeem in the paint, when it's not his game. I'd rather have AD take that shot. Focus on things you're great at: rebound to give the team second opportunities, be active and get a steal and a block when possible. Things to fix? Set better screens with that huge body and learn how to box out properly. It's doable.

Give us 10 points and 10 rebounds, a steal or two and a block. But I want those numbers to result in a win. I don't want 23/17 in a loss, what good is that? That's the difference between "playing basketball and winning basketball".

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'm impressed with how active his hands are. I know I've posted the stats about how good he is at getting steals, but it's more impressive seeing him in action. Had a key steal/ knock away at the end.

I do wish we could have Trezz teach him some box out techniques (without fouling), because he's one of the best in the league at it.

14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Kuz is right. Cleveland and Detroit didn't coach Dre what winning basketball is. How would they know? They had a splash in the pan twice in their existance. Bron for Cleveland and exceptional physicality on NBA lease for Detroit.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. Pioneer10

I agree: I think its what more you expect out of Drummond.
    In those situations he was being asked/evaluated to be a franchise cornerstone where he would be a focal point on offense.

For the Lakers, its basically all defense, rebounding, etc. Different time and place not necessary quality of coach IMO

IE Lakers and abeer3 like this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

In your face

Barnstable and IE Lakers like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's definitely their job. but are nba coaches really allowed to do it? only those who have proven themselves already really get the leeway to actually coach (popovich, carlisle, probably kerr--that may be...it?) as it's intended. cleveland and detroit haven't had those. they've had guys who had to look over their shoulders because they're the easiest folks to blame/remove.

vogel couldn't even make him earn his starting spot over the guy who helped us win 70% of our games as the starter. i'm sure people have politely suggested to drummond many times that maybe putting your body on a guy when the ball goes up will help us win games. he has demurred.

coaches have asked him NOT to try to be hakeem in the paint. he basically alluded to this in a recent interview--the same interview where he accidentally admitted that he thinks any work without the ball is a waste of time (i wonder why he's never in good shape...).

hey, let's hope so. dwight did it last year for basically the first time ever after dealing with similar issues (except for the out of shape thing--can't accuse dwight of that!).

anyway, i'm not trying to s*** on drummond. there's still hope that he'll stop being a stat hog and become a rich man's mason plumlee. but i can promise that nobody's allowed to tell him that. not vogel, and none of his previous coaches.

18. karacha

Well then, I hope it's going to change if he/we want to win more games. Why would we be trying to please him if he's not winning us games is all I'm saying. Although I do believe good team culture takes care of that for the most part.

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

it did seem like the starters were giving up alot of offensive rebs

abeer3 likes this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Being around other great players may raise his game to a new level. That's pretty exciting when you already have a guy capable of 20/20.

At that size, age, and ability? off the buyout market? Sheesh!

Barnstable likes this.