2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

why is it silly? this sort of thing happens all the time. i guess the definition of "quality" is the issue?

but conley/bogdanovic was something i'd definitely have done. bogdanovic went for less than an expiring! no 1st.

svtzr and lakerjones like this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I would have done that deal for one pick for sure.

FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Sure, but it didn't happen for Westbrook with the Lakers, yet.

Maybe that changes, but I doubt it.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i guess, but you suggested that it was something that didn't happen. i think it does happen quite a bit, and thus thinking it's possible isn't silly.

and if it's not going to happen because we're the lakers, then this applies to basically any idea about any trades, right?

svtzr, Kenzo and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

I said, "nothing of value is coming back in a potential WB deal, that's just silly...".

I'm specifically talking about Westbrook. Sure, it has happened before, but I don't think it happens with Westbrook.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right, so why is this one different? because we're us? because his contract is too large? i'm just not understanding why it couldn't follow the standard pattern for such things.

i'm not saying he's going to be moved; i'm saying dismissing it out of hand doesn't make sense to me.

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

There’s no logical sense to it, it’s simply the Lakers (and Rob) tax. I would say his play last season has a lot to do with it, but he’s just going to be waived, so it doesn’t. If he were a Thunder, or Rocket, or Wizard, he’d be traded already, clearly. But if you’re the Lakers you must be gouged in any trade. You must win the trade with the Lakers or you can’t laugh and mock us at next league meeting, and if you don’t win the trade the other owners berate you and you have to go through this

[​IMG]

The league will demand we overpay. And whether terrible luck or even some collusion mixed in, we probably will have to, as we’ve had to deal with Ainge and Pritchard. I remain good with not doing the Indy deal though, I’m fine waiting to see if something better comes up, but IMO that does mean punting the season as we wait.

svtzr, Kenzo, FrontOfJersey22 and 3 others like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

ok, so you believe it won't happen because we're the lakers. i was trying to figure out if that was lavar's point, too.

and that's possible, though i don't know if it's THAT pronounced. i think indy has a specific (and reasonable) grudge with us at the management level. but not every team has that, and at some point, russ's expiring may become appetizing enough that teams ignore who's benefitting on the other end.

and i think we are basically punting the season, and that conversation happened when lebron signed his extension. we told lebron the picks would go if XX conditions were met, and turner/hield weren't the conditions. so either we'll do better than that, we'll pay less, or we'll just keep russ until the wheels fall off the whole thing.

9. LaVarBallsDad

There's a combination of reasons. Lakers tax, Rob's ineptitude, Russ not having much value currently, etc.

Again, could teams lower their asking price to for just a Russ trade for just his contract since he's an expiring? Sure, but I'm not counting on it.

Any Westbrook transaction involves at least 1 pick going out...IMO.

ElginTheGreat, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  10. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I liked all of the reported combos of Utah players better than the Hield/Turner duo.

lakerjones likes this.
  11. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

It seems like the Shroeder signing was made with strong anticipation of the Westbrook for Turner/Hield trade. With the current roster, the Shroeder signing doesn't make much sense. Dennis makes sense in the back court next to Hield, because he helps strengthen the defense, while at the same time providing a solid ball handler. Nunn/Hield or Beverly/Hield combos also make sense though, because they provide maximum floor spacing. But, for some reason, I feel like they wouldn't be too comfortable with a Nunn/Hield backcourt, which is I could see why they would want Dennis in there.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Ot they thought Dennis and Bev would be a great 2nd team backcourt.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

Possibly. Shroeder makes more sense with WB off the roster though. Backcourt is pretty packed with WB/Nunn/Shroeder/Beverly and Walker. Also, Reeves, Brown and JTA who can also play guard will be utilized in the front court.

ElginTheGreat and lakerjones like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

again, all depends on what constitutes a quality return, right? i could think of many deals in which russ leaves and no picks go out. you may not like them; i may not even like them, but they can definitely happen.

also, i'm not sure rob's as inept as folks claim. some of this is reminiscent of the media claiming he didn't understand the cap, which was an embarrassingly incorrect assertion that got to be gently swept under the rug.

i think our FO has been dysfunctional at times, and may still be. and that's a problem. but none of that means things have to happen or not.

or schroder was the best FA left on the market by a country mile and was willing to take our minimum offer? i know people hate him because he turned down our money (which, whatever, imo), but a different player of his stature signs for the minimum elsewhere and i promise our fans and the twitterati are like "why can't rob pull something like that off?!" he did. schroder might be the biggest value signing anyone made this offseason, tbh.

you better carry 5 guards. all teams have five guards. we have six, which i think is ok, too. and counting brown and JTA as guards is reaching, imo. they're sfs who can sometimes play pf if the other team goes small. they've logged precious few minutes as backcourt players and don't project as such, imo.

svtzr likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

That don't require a pick? Don't agree.

Amd this FO is a joke besides Jesse and Joey. Needs an overhaul. But that overhaul might include Rambis taking over because ownership is about just as inept as management.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

This is with respect to teams that might potentially tank and just start relinquishing assets to make themselves worse to enhance their chances at getting Victor (can't spell last name) in the draft.

17. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

This is largely where I’m at with it. If a deal materializes then great but I’m expecting Russ to be here for the season.

I also not so quietly suspect the league has let it be known that the trade demands from big stars like what we saw with Durant is going to be frowned upon.

We will see how things play out.

I expect teams to stick to their guns on the draft picks though.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

No doubt Shroeder was a great value signing. I think still, they might of had some kind of sense that the log jam would be alleviated a bit. There is obviously nothing unusual about having 5 guards, but I just feel that some of these guards require significant playing time. None of these guys are exactly rookies or useless vets. Many factors here: Politics with WB. Why would Shroeder sign to be minimized as 12-24mpg back up? Beverly too good to bench. Lakers interest in showcasing Nunn (and Klutch client) Politics of giving MLE to Walker (also a Klutch client). Are they going to be okay with him as the 5th guard?

abeer3 likes this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

Unless we find a team that is tanking, lol.

Idk why Indiana would want Hield or Turner. Bare in mind, I'm not stuck on their deal, but its like there's a tantalizing prospect that could make you relevant, sell the farm (probably get a pick in the process) , and go after that number 1 spot.

:Laugh:

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

…Mitch would definitely be a great trade partner for us. Best chance of getting a straight up deal and I’ve always liked some of their pieces.

alam1108, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.