2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Doesn't matter who is at fault, at this point. But if Morey holds on to him for 4 years, the players association is going to get involved and that dude will run himself out of the league. Trade the idiot!!!!!!!

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    TIME and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

As I mentioned in the other topic, Dwight got robbed. How did that happen? He absolutely belongs on the list, before AD and Lillard, for sure.

Barnstable, Kenzo, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Dwight should be in there. David Bing? I had to look him up. Good player though! Before my time for sure.

Barnstable likes this.
  6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

oh boy

alam1108, abeer3, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  7. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Ayton is a gangster

alam1108, abeer3 and JSM like this.
  8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Huh???

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

There’s already a running joke on Twitter about Ayton’s people dropping this story in retaliation for Sarver being cheap as usual and not getting the extension done. Ayton obviously wasn’t involved, but it’s pretty comical timing.

10. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Oh ok. Thanks I hadn’t read that.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

There is no doubt that blame should be attributed to all parties. But I think we can all agree it’s not equal blame.

Embiid and Doc threw Ben under the bus and they need to own that and make right on it. Which it seems they’ve tried to do by ringing Ben all summer and back tracking their comments to the media.

Ben needs to take a larger share of the blame. He made a mountain out of a mole hill - their comments weren’t even that bad and the best leaders in the game come out and say that the loss is on them. Kobe wouldn’t of wilted under that comment. Instead of sorting things out, he went rogue and cut all contact with the team, tried to force a trade and missed training camp with no injury. Only reason he came back was to collect his pay check and now he is even milking that by claiming mental health issues.

On top of that Ben also needs to own his lack of improvement offensively - before we say he is the player he is and you shouldn’t expect improvement. Just watch his summer videos over the last 3 years, he is draining threes, hitting fade aways and generally dominating fellow NBA players in a low pressure environment. Then when it matters he went missing. If he was playing for the lakers I wouldn’t be ok with that.

Regardless of the above, my initial comment was: why should morey get blamed? He has a player that is a DPOY candidate, an excellent facilitator and devastating in transition that is under contract for FOUR more years. He should absolutely try to get an AD, Harden, PG haul for him. I believe the only reason Portland isn’t willing to trade CJ plus 3 first and 3 swaps is because they believe Simmons will tank his value further.

Which brings me to my last point, I’m not okay with players trying to force trades like this. He signed a 5 year max and wants out and will tank his value so Philly only gets some junk in return. Stuff that! As the lakers we’ve benefitted from some of these situations, but the long term outcomes of things happening like this isn’t good. It’ll lead to a real lack of competition in small market teams and eventually to contracts not meaning a damn thing.

I’m surprised more of you aren’t outraged at what Ben is trying to do.

SamsonMiodek, abeer3 and Weezy like this.
  12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Ayton is not worth the max. Whether it's a cheap owner or reckless one.

You are seeing why the cancel culture is winning right now. All those in control are being outed and now we are going to have to hear some lame a** apology about how they were mentally abused when they were kids and this is what happened.

abeer3 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

ok...why does ben's lack of improvement keep coming up? if this about honoring contracts, he was offered what he got. i'm dumbfounded by folks harping on why he's not a better ft shooter. he was a s***ty ft shooter and a non-killer in crunch time when you begged him to sign the max deal. quite literally: deal with it.

yeah, we agree on most things, but not this. if simmons is a top 5 player, you make sure your folks are in line and don't say a damn word about him after you lose to hawks. again, your problem. either he's great or he's not. if he's not, you move him for whatever and succeed because he wasn't great. if he's great, you move everyone else. gutless.

eh, i lived with this on the other side with shaq. we didn't hold out. it was only going to get worse for everyone. we all recovered. this is about morey's ego over philly's title shots (sorry, mccollum and a pick for simmons is GENEROUS offer right now).

you don't see this happening everywhere. beal has stayed in washington. lillard has endured a lot to stay in portland (and i think that's coming to end soon). at some point, the teams/ownership need to prove themselves, too.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

disagree with overall sentiment, but agree that ayton's non-max.

solution: remove maxes.

new problem: owners are actually stupid and would bankrupt themselves in such a situation.

15. OX1947

Free enterprise is best. Pick better owners to buy teams.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i love it. i think both owners and the players' association (need more than minimum contracts) balk. but you're right.

if basketball were less star-dependent (something officials could help with, tbh), maybe this world is possible.

but...$. james harden is good for taco bell 4th meal, baby.

17. OX1947

NBA is star driven because that's just how it's set up. It isn't like football where you get all time greats in the 6th rounds and 3rd rounds. The elite players are extremely rare and they drive the value of the team up expendetionally.

As far as s***ty owners, well, you aren't going to get rid of all the jackholes in one clear swoop. It's going to take a while. Most of these jackholes have been enabled and most people, of all cultures, are slaves to money 95% of the time.

Until we value ethics more than money, there will always be a sleaze ball running things. And it's not always Chey Whitey. The ball of sleaze is an equal opportunity employer.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

hello ox

OX1947 likes this.
  19. OX1947

Good evening.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I meant 80-2