2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

@KareemtheGreat33 ’s the one who won’t let it go ….. like an Alaskan moose per @Toklat ….. carries a grudge.

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

Toklat, KareemtheGreat33 and abeer3 like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

oh it killed us. tbh, deng's stretch money probably cost us the eagle. my point is that i don't think he had a lot of great options. and yes he failed even given that, but i just don't think that much about it now. maybe because since that happened, we had the absolute roster bungle the summer lebron signed. felt like we had a clear opportunity to field a better roster, and magic was drunk. wasted a lebron year for no reason. mozdeng wasted nothing back then. we were going to be bad pretty much no matter what. i think that's why.

but stretching deng instead of just eating his salary and using him in trade also bothers me, and that was something the current regime did, right?

3. Chick the G.O.A.T.

Chick the G.O.A.T. - Rookie -

capital gains

A lot of zebras been calling it this way for years already. If you're in a defensive position and you have position and the offensive player blows through your real estate they get called for a charge in most cases unless you're a star and then it's automatic trips to the charity stripe

Barnstable and IE Lakers like this.
  4. Chick the G.O.A.T.

Chick the G.O.A.T. - Rookie -

capital gains

This is the last year on Deng right?

IE Lakers, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Bless his heart for being the only GM to abide by the 12:01 AM discussion window. Tim and Deng should have never been day 1 signings. I know there was a lot of money flying around to bums that summer, but both of those guys are day 3 signings, at best. You let the market settle a bit and set their price. I didn't hate the targets, but yeah, the details of the deals were and still are terrible (can't believe we're STILL paying Deng) . Sometimes the best phone calls are the ones not made, if that's going to be your first two calls... maybe keep your phone in your pocket for day one.

TIME, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yes!!!!!

:IrelandPump:

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

mercifully.

right, but we'd done that to poor effect in the years prior, missing out on good realistic targets while chasing guys that had no intention of playing here.

and yes, it did suck that mitch was basically the only guy playing by the rules. it's part of why i never got the league's fury regarding the gasol and paul trades: mitch was like, the only honest man working in basketball management, people! you can get mad at others for agreeing to those deals, but mitch wasn't cheating or gaming the system.

he also negotiated a deal for kg that should have gone through but mchale decided to hand him to his buddy in boston after minny's owner had signed off on kg to la.

mitch did a pretty good job overall, but all we remember is mozdeng because it was the end. that wasn't typically how he operated.

jbiggs, IE Lakers, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Only if his last name was Duncan. Unfortunately, it wasn't. :(

abeer3 and IE Lakers like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Thomas, Legler, Hardaway Sr, or even Tim The Toolman Taylor... take your pick. All would've done better than Moz.

10. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

Indeed. Man, if that were the case, Pop’s career would have taken a completely different trajectory.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I just don't think he's very good in free agency, period. He's a great trade negotiator and good at maintaining relationships with other league execs. We've had a great scouting department which has resulted in him trading for rooks like JC or using the guys we drafted in trades during their Laker run because they had value. The issue he's had on Team Jordan is they don't have a very good scouting department, so their picks aren't worth much and no one wants to come play for Charlotte.

From 2010 on...
    Traded for CP3 (f you Stem), Nash,, and D12. That's mic drop levels. Couldn't forsee injuries, vetoes, and a**-hattery.

Rounded that out with Jordan Hill, Ray Sessions, Duhon, Baze, JC, Lin, Nance, Hibbert.

12. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

You forgot Pringles.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    We had a rough stretch, didn’t we. Dang

14. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    some downtimes are good for the soul. The reason is, generations of fans have to understand that winning alone by itself is not enough. The journey there is what makes it sweet. I am lucky enough to have seen our team in their biggest downtime ever. The early Jerry West years. It is one thing to suck and quite another to be the perennial second best team in the league that could not climb the mountain. That s*** was soul sucking defeat after defeat. Losing when you were the heavy favorite to win and STILL not being able to put it together despite having the two of the very best players all time on your team. When we finally won, it was sweeeeeet.

Then we went into a rebuild shortly after, were lucky enough to land Jabbar and then even luckier to get two #1 draft picks that led to Magic and Worthy. Those were the best years, Showtime made us what we are today. After Magic went down, we had to rebuild again but we got Shaq in his prime and were lucky enough to land Kobe.

In our whole team history, the worst era of our team was the Jimmy Buss era. We truly sucked and seemed to have no way to dig ourselves out. There was no way forward under his leadership. And, as everyone suspected, nobody good in the league wanted to play for him. He was a d****** and everyone knew it. Every other down time we had, we quickly brought in a great player and turned things around. Sure we had some mediocre teams along the way, but we always had a way forward and some momentum. When key guys go down or retire, there is always going to be a rebuild. Rebuilds are not horrible when you have a good FO, you get to watch, and in retrospect, it is almost always pretty cool. With Jimmy and Mitch, they just simply had nothing. They could not attract a free agent for anything. Nobody wanted to be here. That is pretty amazing when you think about it. Back in those days, LA and California was the spot to be, period. Everyone wanted to live here. Hollywood was here. The work was all here and we STILL could not attract a single good player. We could trade but even that was difficult. Yeah we brought in some good trades, but they were rarely superstar trades, they were role player trades.

I am glad those days are over. I know some of you guys are bummed we let all our youngsters walk, and I know we are going to see them become good elsewhere. We are already seeing it and it is just a matter of time until one of our youngsters win a ring somewhere else. Good chance it happens. Whatever. But we have already won one ring and have a good chance to win another. My guess is, when Lebron finally hangs them sneakers up, we will find another great player to fill his shoes. When you have good ownership and a GM who has the players desires at heart along with a premium location, there will always be great players who want to be here.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, it's possible he's just got no charisma, and that turns off FAs. though, that's kinda on them. those guys should have seen the possibilities had they come here, but only lebron had the cajones, tbh.

nobody can have success in charlotte because mj's a bad owner, imo. bad ownership can really kill you. ask the knicks.

anyway, i'm not mitch's #1 fan or anything, but i thought he did way more good than harm here. and his big hits were actually way bigger than the big miss that was mozdeng. our problem was that jim buss wasn't the right guy at the top, imo. mitch could have done fine under jeanie.

16. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    You are probably right, however he pissed off Jeanie enough that he never got that chance.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

think it was guilt by association, partly. And we probably needed a full cleansing anyway, for pr reasons.

18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Has anyone ever interviewed Mitch about why he chose to call Mosgov at 12:01am?

19. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Because they were manna from heaven.:ADeyeshift:

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Durant, Wade, or Bron intentionally gave out the wrong number?

So Mitch was like, well while I got you on the phone..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.