2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

not ennis?

that's disappointing

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Ok, I get it. The 14th man is not going to get much burn if any on this team anyway. They like Reaves, and probably feel he will develop faster practicing with the best. They have a good track record with the Eagle and THT, so, I'll trust their call on this one.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I wanted Ennis too… but really that was solely off of just seeing the 43% from 3P line he put up. I can’t recall ever actually seeing him play and noticing him. I doubt many Laker fans have. And those shooting numbers seemed to be a bit of an anomaly, and was on low volume.

The fact that we gave him a workout and a few days later decided to sign Reaves instead means that Ennis must have underwhelmed. There must be a reason he still hasn’t been signed. I’ll trust the FO on picking Reaves over Ennis.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

My interest in Ennis was more so that he was a big wing to throw in defensively and he shot well enough to get on the court. I think Wes is a better defender, but it was clear we weren't going to bring him back or we would've done so much earlier.

Reaves looked good on D in the summer league, but I can't see him getting 1 single minute over a vet this season.

On any other roster the 14th man is irrelevant, but with our age I think there's an opportunity there because of resting and minute management.

End of the day, this will not make or break our championship pursuit but it is the first roster decision this off season that I'm completely against. To reiterate my initial point, nothing against AR. I think he's a NBA player, just not this season AND we already had him on a 2 way deal.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Maybe they felt another team might come after Reaves for the end of their roster?

:Kobe Shrug:

6. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Strange even current scout reports say James is a well-rounded wing and considering our need at the 3, this is odd. We have no real 3 as Ariza is more of a 4 and Lebron is supposed to be sliding over to the 4 and he won't guard the toughest 3s anyway during the regular season. So we have no true "3"

Plus the fact that the NBA reimburse us 1 million on each vet min contract makes the cost negligible. It's not 2.6 mil it's 1.6 mil after the NBA reimbursement so even with the lux tax hit it's like 4-5 mil total

The FO must be hot on Reaves

7. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Didn’t see this coming at all. Maybe our FO and Vogel feel confident that THT can fill that wing defender role too.

Chick the G.O.A.T. likes this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

My takeaway is we're going to run a lot of 3 guard sets and that Baze and THT will get a lot of PT at SF in order to find minutes for our guards. Bron isn't going to play 82, neither is Ariza, so that could be a small issue.

Rob and Vogel are really high on THT and pushing the chips on him. He has to length to play SF, but if he's not up to snuff defensively, could be a problem. He probably improved his shot during the offseason, he's been putting in a lot of work. But his defensive mistakes are nearly impossible to work on in 1 on 0 drills. He can watch tape to see what he did wrong, but his leap there will come from reps in camp, practice, preseason, and the regular season. I don't think there's enough time before the season and don't think he'll have enough rope in-season given the stakes. His reads, reactions, and floor awareness aren't there yet.

I guess worst comes to worse and this is really doing us in, we can address it later in the season with our 15th spot or wait for a possible buyout. I'll have to look through the rosters and see if anyone jumps out at me. They didn't last time, but I wasn't particularly looking at 3 & D SF buyout candidates.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^
    Basically this. We discussed the possibility of 3 guards + Bron + AD, especially in the playoffs. You can have two of those guards be deadly shooters.

TIME likes this.
  10. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think the team views Bazemore and Ariza as SF’s. Then we have Lebron and THT. Our strength will come from our versatility.

abeer3 and TIME like this.
  11. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

And they say James Ennis is still liking Laker related posts to this day!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    TIME, abeer3, sirronstuff and 4 others like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i do, too. ariza's played most of his career as a 2/3 or just a 3. bazemore has maybe played more 2, but plenty of 3. both are big enough to play that spot most of the time. and i agree that if THT is to carve out a role this year, he better play some sf.

i think we're counting on ariza and lebron to play crunch time defense against big wings like the clippers's guys. most nights against most teams you can play a small-ish 3 and not get hurt.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  14. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Yikes. I definitely didn’t think Ariza would be a starter on this team.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yikes indeed if true …. my Carnac side career dealt serious blow if Dwight not the starter.

Hmmm …. so blitz teams out of the gate and then bring Dwight in early, or not, and slide AD to 4 and pound on them for awhile?

THT being given a shot to start as well …. wow it all sounds pretty exciting.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Well to be honest...besides the megastars like Lebron, KD, Giannis and Kawhi...there aren't many scorers in the NBA at the small forward spot. Most of the top scoring threats are guards or 4/5 guys. I think we will be fine defensively there on most nights with what we have.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Here's the quote

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

man i hope AD has altered his training regimen. i know our best lineups are with him at the 5, but you don't necessarily have to start your best lineup. just finish with it.

edit: btw, totally called ellington starting at sg. did not call ariza starting at sf, though.

19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I told you guys this would happen eventually. ;) I was always advocating Bron @ the 4, AD @ the 5. He doesn't have to play heavy minutes there or start against every single center in the NBA. But this is where the two of them play best. It also allows us to put better shooters and/or mobile defenders around them. Results in more minutes for all those guards, because some of them can play the 3 as well if Bron opens up some minutes for them @ the SF position. We have Baze, THT, Ariza, might as well use them there.

So then:

Russ/Nunn/Rondo
    Ellington/Monk/THT
    Bazemore/THT/Ariza
    Bron/Carmelo/AD
    AD/Dwight/DJ

It's a flexible rotation, and there will inevitably be some injuries or load management during the season. So, it's always possible to find some extra minutes for THT, Ariza & Rondo.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

KD and harden better get kyrie in check, or else he's going to jeopardize their entire season with his BS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.