2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Still I think that would be an alright contract for us. It's tough though if that last year wasn't a team option.

This too is how we perceive Nick now and how well he has been playing (except for past 2 games) so a lot can still change. But on his current trajectory, I'd still be okay with that contract just hope Mitch and the FO try to get it down a little first.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I mean if Nick is at $8-10 million a year, is there a better bargain on the FA market if he keeps up his production? I don't see one right now, IMO.

I think Lou and Nick are too redundant, though. From a personnel perspective, I'd like a little more size (think Livingston) coming off the bench.

Livingston or MCW fit the bill; we can move Lou. Well, you'd be losing the offensive punch that Lou provides, you'd be getting a bigger, longer SG, that can defend.

They're competent offensively, too.

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

We can't lose both a Nick and Lou (type of player) off the bench.

Between our main core of Clarkson/Nance/Black off the bench, assuming Ingram will eventually move to the starters, the bench needs a go to scorer. The energy and effort will be there, but I like the added versatility of someone off the bench that can bail the young fellas out.That's where Lou has been critical to the success of the bench this year.

4. LaVarBallsDad

People on LG suggesting a trade for Lou to GSW:

Lou for Mcaw, Looney, and a GS 1st. Thoughts?

5. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    A 1st rounder that is going to be 29th or 30th haha

Barnstable likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Hey we got Nance at 27.:Mitchthumbs:

trodgers and Battle Tested20 like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I know, but I still think we could get a better package back for sending out Lou Williams. I mean his contract alone is worth something to a team that can't add a lot of money to their payroll.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

^ That. I do like the idea of shedding one of Lou or Nick to a contender for some assets though. As much as I love what those guys do for us, if we're going to be something it won't be because of them. They're not a crutch we should rely on. I'd absolutely move either of them for a 1st if we could.

That being said, I don't think I want GS's 1st this year. I'd want a future 1st just on the off chance that 1st is better than this one. This 1st is unlikely to be anything besides the 2 worst picks in the 1st round.

9. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't think I've really stated my opinion on whether or not I'd like to trade Lou or Nick for assets. I have said if we do I think we can do better than what has been discussed recently in this thread.

I do not like the idea of trading Lou and or Nick for future assets (young talent or pick(s).

Lou is 30 years old and Nick is 31 years old. Yes, I'm aware Lou came to the NBA in HS but these two are not old NBA players. They haven't load heavy minutes in playoff runs either. It isn't always easy, but we need to try and blend the best we can our young existing talent with a nice group of veterans that fill a needed role. Both Lou and Nick fill that role in the starters + bench units. There abilities can not be easily matched given their current salaries and I believe future contracts.

I don't believe in having a roster full of young players. Some might argue we won't have a team full of young players if we happen to trade away Lou and or Nick, we have Deng and Moz. I don't include Marcelo and Calderon because I don't believe they will be with us after this year. Overall, Lou and Nick are more valueable with us than what their values are going out for future assets based on what has been discussed.

Obviosly, I'm not ignorant to decline every trade offer we get for these two. If I believe the new player and or asset's overall value would be greater than what these can offer now and can bring us in the future I would pull the trigger. But you DO NOT trade these two guys or one of them simply to collect picks or other real young unless its a certain upgrade and can immediately make an impact to help our ball club like Nick and Lou do now. You simply can't underestimate the value or chemistry between players and the continuity of the players in a system. It takes time to develop these things with the same players.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    For SG, I'd still like to see Clarkson end up being that guy, but it probably isn't going to happen.

Maybe CJ McCollum can suddenly demand a trade over here?

:Laugh:

I pull for the underdogs to work hard and make teams make tough decisions. Guys like Thomas Robinson earning minutes, providing value, and giving the team pause about what to do at that position.

I'd also still like to see a clear pecking order develop, as I don't think we have one right now. Who among our young crew is a real team leader that guys will follow? I don't see anyone breaking away from the pack.

And Lou's gunning style is a terrible fit for Golden State team basketball. That and I now have no idea who their reserves are lol. Some serious no-names there.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I don't see Lou as a gunner on our team. Nor Nick. This year. They are supposed to provide offense when a good shot is there they have a history and this year high % of hitting and evidenced with this team 1st half of the season. Along with both trying to play D as well as they can.

12. therealdeal

They to me are the veterans/ancillary pieces that Golden State and OKC moved in order to free up opportunities for their true young stars. Guys like Monta Ellis. They don't have to go now, but they will soon. Nick especially is a high trade candidate for me considering if we don't pay him this summer, he's likely to leave. Do we want to be the ones paying him this summer?

revgen, sirronstuff and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

That's how I feel. These aren't the pieces that are going to be around once we're ready to contend, so why not start fielding offers now?

therealdeal and sirronstuff like this.
  14. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't mind trading Nick since he has a player option for next year. If he continues to play well, he'll command more $$ in FA than his player option would give him.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Feels almost like the usual throw-in use of the Laker name to me. I'm not sure how Paul would fit.

I'd like to figure it out though. Come on down Paul.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I doubt we have any interest in Milsap. Randle and Nance are already there. Robinson too. He isn't big enough to play big minutes at center. Reporter using the large Lakers fan base to generate clicks.

Barnstable and sirronstuff like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

I think there was real interest; to the extent which I don't know.

Mitch has been looking for an All-Star for awhile.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. LaVarBallsDad

Both FA's...

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Anyone not named DAR , Julius , BI and Nance should be tradable .

The next step is to be below average on D .

Maybe ,just maybe this roster could improve from terrible to bad during the 2nd part of the season but we definetely need 2 above average defenders on this team , one on the perimeter , and one rim protector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.