Your Preference For Lakers No.2 Pick

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by tada, May 20, 2015.

?

Lakers should pick...

1. Karl Anthony Towns

39.2%
  2. Jahlil Okafor

55.4%
  3. D'Angelo Russell

4.1%
  4. Emmanuel Mudiay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OTHER

1.4%
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think we take what we can get in the draft, but probably find the 3 & D guy in FA. Once we get Okafor, it's almost a given we're building through him for the future. That doesn't mean we pass on big talent, but gives us the luxury of not being too worried about it either.

I think once all the big names pass on us, we end up throwing big money at Carroll. I don't see Aldridge or Gasol wanting to be part of our rebuild. I see Dragic cashing in on Miami. I see Jordan going to Dallas probably. I see Love staying in Cleveland hoping to get to the Finals every year.

That leaves us with the 2nd tier guys to pick from, most of whom are restricted. That means we need to throw enough money at Carroll to seal the deal. I'm thinking we may even end up paying him 13 million or something. I could see us going up to 4/55 million or something. Yes it's overpaying but if all the heavy hitters are off the board then we need to get the best player at the best fit. Unless we find a way to get an RFA out of their homes, then I think Carroll is going to fall into our laps with a lot of money to spend.

Then with the left over 7 million you fill out with more veteran types.

TIME likes this.
  2. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

If Sactown would offer Cousins + #6 for our #2, you would have to seriously consider it... There is some solid talent available at #6 this draft..
    Heck, I'm pretty big on Winslow... He's got clutch baller written all over him.

Not saying it's a no brainer, but it would be tempting. Boogie's contract is pretty sweet for his level of play.

3. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

At #6 I take the player with the biggest upside, Hezonja.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

yeah. If it was Boogie plus the 6th for the #2 pick, then I do pull the trigger. I would snag Hezonja as well. Boogie, Randle, Hezonja and Clarkson is a heck of a core to build around for the next 10 years. Probably gives us a 5 year window in about 3 years.

tada likes this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That's my thought process too, but it's a high risk route to take, and I'm not sure why'd we do that when we'll have a longer window with Okafor.

6. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

From your lips to god's ear, my friend.

7. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I read Plaschke's article about Okafor today in The L.A. Times Sports section. There were a few gems there... Okafor has conceded that he will be #2 and does not mind. Apparently, the Lakers haven't been able to set up a work out with Towns. Okafor isn't fazed about reservations regarding his defense stating that he did alright at Duke and acknowledges that he can stand to improve. He appears to embrace the pressure of re-establishing a winning culture back to the Lakers.

Okafor also cited O'Neal as a favorite then mentioning Abdul-Jabbar in succession...looking to connect with either center, maybe pick up some pointers or motivation. I don't think it is just a standard line either. The young man is unassuming and wants to improve unlike another pivotman who believed he has already won and doesn't need further tutelage.

Barnstable, JSM, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    NOOOOOooooOOOOO!!!

I'm holding on to Okafor. I would not trade him for a known talented headcase + an unknown Euro.

Okafor will be the next great Lakers big and will anchor the team for the next 15-20 years. He's got his head on straight. He wants to wear the Golden Armor. Case closed.

9. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

If there was ever a center to learn and use the skyhook, it'll be Jah. Get on it, Cap!

Barnstable, JSM, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  10. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

All we need is a little more luck to get the TWolves to pass on him.

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

+1

I want Okafor on this team.

Period!

lakerjones, JSM, John3:16 and 3 others like this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I never thought of this but agree with you whole heatedly.

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

3. The Lakers, Jumping Out Too Far

Ed Davis is the only speedy dude among the Lakers’ four rotation big men, but Byron Scott has these guys venturing out near the 3-point arc in a failed effort to contain pick-and-rolls. Good luck, Bob Sacre!

Carlos Boozer, Sacre, and Jordan Hill just aren’t capable of this; the Lakers’ league-worst defense would probably be better off if Scott adopted a more conservative style. Hill’s rim protection has been halfhearted, and the team’s starting lineup is getting absolutely torched.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/searching-for-balance-the-nbas-lopsided-conference-problem/

Happened on December 2nd.

Fast forward - They adjusted too late going in the season going in; I post this here because Okafor can't be used the same way. If you notice in any of his defense highlights at Duke, he dropped back in roll in roll a lot more. Hopefully, our coaching staff takes note of that and implements a scheme whereby they have him dropping back, playing tall, and using his length to contest shots at the rim.

Don't mind switching on very few occassionas; although, I'd probably have Okafor drop back in pick in roll 90% of the time and play the percentages inviting the team to take mid-range jumper...