Your Preference For Lakers No.2 Pick

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by tada, May 20, 2015.

?

Lakers should pick...

1. Karl Anthony Towns

39.2%
  2. Jahlil Okafor

55.4%
  3. D'Angelo Russell

4.1%
  4. Emmanuel Mudiay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OTHER

1.4%
  1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

ROFY, are you presuming they have to move Pek or they can keep him around, with Jahlil having that impact. Are they screwing themselves financially to not move his salary right away for whatever their other needs are?

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Pekovic Salary Next 3 years
    2015-16: 12,100,00
    2016-17: 12,100,00
    2017-18: 11,600,00

Games played
    12-13: 62 games played
    13-14: 54 games played
    14-15: 31 games played

I don't want to get too off the subject. To answer your question, they (Wolves) are screwing themselves. Nobody is going to take on Pek's contract without significant draft compensation coming back. As you can see in the above, who's going to fork over 12 million dollars for somebody who can't stay healthy? They screwed themselves with that contract and Rubio's.

Nevertheless, they do have a potential 'star' in Wiggins; Lavine came on toward the end of the season and showed some promise. They'll get Okafor/Towns this upcoming draft. Plus, they're all on rookie contracts which is huge for a small market team. So, not all is lost; not even close. They'll just have to figure out a way to get rid of Pek and Rubio or wait until their contracts expire...

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Despite how large Rubio's contract is, I think there is a market for him out there. With the cap exploding, his contract isn't THAT bad. Houston, Sacramento and Dallas could all use him. He'd be a good fit in NO with Anthony Davis too. Pek on the other hand...

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

That should sway the Wolves then to solve their obvious need for all the obvious reasons, by drafting Towns. Towns seems reasonably sincere he won't be upset going there and playing with their nice young core, while Jahlil wants no part of it. At some level that has to weigh into their decision. You'd think.

5. LaVarBallsDad

We'll see. Pek will be supplanted by Towns or Okafor while sitting on the bench taking up a roster spot; they'll both have a golden opportunity to jump in the fire from the start in Minnesota and get significant playing time.

6. LTLakerFan

If Pek is healthy or when he is healthy can't he and Towns and Wiggins play in the front court together, as opposed to if they take Okafor?

7. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I want Towns anyway, so it's easy for me to say this, but imagine if Minny drafts Okafor and he hates it there. Then we just poach him as a FA in a few years to pair with Towns at PF. In other words, we WANT Minny to draft the guy that is openly saying he doesn't want to go there.

8. LaVarBallsDad

Towns, yes. Okafor, no. Pek provides no outside shot whatsoever and would clog up the middle for where Jah likes to operate from; with Towns outside shooting ability, Wiggins ability to slash, Pek could work in a role where he sets bone-crushing screens, rolls to the hoop, gets putbacks, and dives to the rim when needed.

9. LTLakerFan

Therefore rather than not being able to move Pek or having to have him on the bench (when he's still a decent center if healthy) they should take Towns. Okafor is just the wrong choice. They'd be screwing themselves financially and roster wise.

10. LaVarBallsDad

Towns gives the Wolves much more flexibility with rotations, different combinations, etc...it's the smart move. Although, if he went with Okafor who could blame him? If he thinks Okafor is a franchise changing big and the best fit for that team moving forward, screw finances, and what you have on the roster, take the talent and figure out the rest later.

11. LTLakerFan

A player who doesn't want to be there's feelings and unhappiness with the situation be damned. Again, it's not really cool having that attitude but it's our potential franchise center for the next 15 years having that attitude. [​IMG] From these players coming out maybe it's a sign of changing times for obvious number 1 quality players? "Tank back" approach from the players to the tanking teams.

12. LaVarBallsDad

I haven't head Okafor outright say that he doesn't want to be there at all. Wiggins and Okafor have kept a close friendship through this entire process. If Okafor were to get drafted by the Timberwolves, I suspect he might be disappointed, but once he gets acclimated to Minnesota, he'll be fine. As the once great Bynum said, 'there's a bank in every city.' Wiggins and Okafor will be scoring 20 plus points a game, Lavine will throw down a highlight dunk or two and everything will be right with the world in Okafor's mind.

Trust me, I get the sentiment, I'd rather be in Los Angeles, too. Nevertheless, I think Oak/Towns will be fine wherever they land...

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard Okafor doesn't want Minny from him or his agent specifically, but it was floated pretty quickly after the draft lottery that he wanted LA.

If Okafor ends up in Minnesota, Pekovic is either traded for peanuts or he's an expensive back-up. He and Okafor would make a hell of a punch at Center.

14. LaVarBallsDad

Pincus tweeted that he believes both Minny and Los Angeles want Okafor...

15. therealdeal

When did he tweet that?

And I don't doubt Minny would be happy with Okafor, but I think that's also them posturing to try to get us to trade up for him. Give up our other picks maybe or even one of our young assets.

It just doesn't make much sense for them to go after Okafor. Towns fits, he's repeatedly said he's open to going anywhere, and he's got just as much if not more talent than Okafor. What am I missing? :D

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think its a mix of posturing and reporters covering themselves in case these pics don't turn out as planned.

17. LaVarBallsDad

Edit. Let me find a link for it.

18. therealdeal

EricPincus: butt

Where's the link, amigo?

19. LaVarBallsDad

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

There we go. :D

Wouldn't it be weird if all this Towns hype is media driven and most executives don't like him nearly as much as Okafor? I don't think it is, but that'd explain why despite everyone predicting Towns/Okafor go 1-2 there's all this sneaking suspicion that Russell jumps up.

What if it's not Okafor or Mudiay that falls, but Towns?

Conspiracy Theory #145632b- Towns actually stinks and the Lakers are trying to trick Minny into taking him so they can get Okafor! dundunduuuuuuun