Would You Rather Have The 3rd Pick Or Lose It?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, May 16, 2016.

?

Rather have the 3rd pick or lose it?

1. 3rd pick

2. Lose it so Lakers can keep the 2017 pick

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Interesting question, I think. If the pick is third it means no Simmons or Ingram. Most say if it's the third pick just trade it, but the value of that pick will be significantly less than one or two. It's still a pick and an opportunity to improve now, but you probably aren't looking at a potential star with the third pick in this draft.

On the flip side, if it falls four or five, the Lakers are guaranteed to have their 2017 pick, which most believe is a deeper/more talented draft. Losing the pick now also frees up a little more cap space to play with this summer.

So, if the choice came down to the 3rd pick or sending 4/5 to PHI, which would you choose?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think you definitely take the pick if you can. The third pick at worst could end up being a decent prospect like Brown or Poetl or maybe Bender. At best it turns into a trade asset that can get you a more established player. I'd rather have it than not have it.

If we lose it, well it'll be okay. I'll be upset for a while, but it's just a setback not the end of the world.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I have to believe that next season will see an improvement in our win total to where we will probably be looking at the 9-12 pick (granted I've said that the last 2 seasons). So is 3 in this year's draft better than 9-12 in next year's? Also, it's hard to say because we don't know what we could get for that #3 pick. I said earlier, if we could flip it for Noel, I'd LOVE that. It solves our center position dilemma with a Whiteside-lite type player who can grow with our core. All we have to worry about is filling the sf spot. But without knowing what's out there for a trade, it's hard to make that call.

Overall though, I'd say keep the pick simply because someone will fall in love with someone high in that 3-4 range and be willing to trade with us. 9-12th pick, regardless of how deep the draft is, probably isn't going to land you a transcendent talent. Even though #3 probably won't this season, as we get closer to the draft and people like Chad Ford start over exaggerating some guys ("Bender is BETTER than Porzingis" or "Jaylen Brown will be BETTER than Artest in his prime" or "Buddy Hield has all of Steph's strengths coming out of college and none of his weaknesses"), and someone will offer us a ton for that 3rd pick. I see no way that happens if it's the 10th pick next year.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So.... someone please help me out with the ping pong balls and is the air chamber only loaded one time? In this article in today's paper L.A. Times Michael Bresnahan says, "No confetti. No Game 7s." (Lakers' sorry place in the NBA past few years). "Just 14 ping-pong balls in a plastic drum that bounce around via air current, blowing franchises into or out of contention for the world's top three amateur players."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-draft-lottery-20160516-story.html#

How many teams get 1 ball each? How many balls do the team's with the worst three records get, starting with the worst .... Philadelphia, then Lakers and I forget who sucked 3rd worst at the moment. Is it a one time load, or is there a reload of some sort after the first ball pops with the first team's (name) on it? Anyone know this process well?

5. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Keeping the pick now would be way more valuable bc I have feeling this will be the highest draft pick (if we keep it) based on bad record in a long long time, hoping for more winning with Luke as our coach. And this pick would be a perfect trade asset that we wouldn't really feel an attachment to

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Have it. There are plenty of interesting prospects at 3, I'm not even sure there is a consensus #3 from picks 3-10, that's how close it seems to be. And yes, the trade value isn't as high as 1 or 2, but if you package it with Lou or maybe Clarkson, who knows what you can get. I will take any asset at this point, even one with a little less value.

7. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Keep it. Hearing a lot of good things about Bender.

Plus, as previously noted, it's not out of the question that we add a key FA or two this offseason, and we're markedly better next season, thus winding up with a pick toward the bottom part of the lottery. Even with next year's draft class supposedly much deeper, I think we're better off at #3 in this draft.

8. therealdeal

"To determine the winner, fourteen ping pong balls numbered 1–14 are placed in a standard lottery machine and four balls are randomly selected from the lot. Just as in most traditional lotteries, the order in which the numbers are drawn is not important. That is, 1-2-3-4 is considered to be the same as 4-3-2-1. There are a total of 1,001 combinations (or 14! / (10! x 4!)). Of these, 1 outcome is disregarded and 1,000 outcomes are distributed among the 14 non-playoff NBA teams. The combination 11-12-13-14 (in any order that those numbers are drawn) is not assigned and it is ignored if drawn; this has never occurred in practice."

From wikipedia

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Definitely give me the 3rd pick this year. Even though if we lose it this year we get it for sure next year, I highly doubt it will be as good as the 3rd pick (God willing).

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'd say keep it and try to trade it

bender might be a good option at 3rd overall but if they can get whiteside in FA then trading the pick would be the best option

11. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Keep it for sure. Even if we end up trading it. The sooner the rebuild starts, the better. You can never have too many assets.

12. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Mitch and Jim's jobs are on the line. Our pick next year may be in the mid to late teens. Losing this pick is awful.

13. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Gotta keep it.

If we suck this bad next year, at least the Lakers will clean house. Again.

14. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

Gotta have it. I understand the logic of the class being deeper next year, but the worst case scenario always looms...

You end up trading the #3 this year, but end up with #14 next year. No way, regardless of depth of talent, are those two comparable.

If you're giving me the choice of $1m today or the possibility of getting $10m (or only $50,000) I'll take the sure thing.

15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm disappointed that no one is placing bets, sigs or otherwise, on the lottery outcome lol

16. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Hopefully the NBA knows that the Lakers need to be relevant for monetary reasoning, and give us the pick, ratings must go up, remember this is all a business.

Cookie likes this.
  17. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Yeah plus they owe us from the Cp3 deal. It would only be right for us to win the lotto this year. Or if the league doesn't want ppl to think they rigged it for the Lakers, just give us the 2nd pick again.

OmarE likes this.
  18. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Considering Denver's situation with big men, I'd try to get Jokic from them with #3. Could be tough, but I love the potential.

OX1947 and sirronstuff like this.
  19. therealdeal

They've bot a handful of decent big men we could target.

Other targets could be Alec Burks or Serge Ibaka. Sounds weird, but Ibaka has kind of lost his place in that rotation behind Adams and Kanter. I know Ibaka still starts, but his role is continuously shrinking.

20. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Thanks NBA. You did exactly what I wanted you to do. I love that the Sixers are getting allllll the press and Lakers get to keep their pick and avoid all the backlash that woulda came with winning the lottery (despite having a 20% chance of winning the lotto...lol). I'll take 2nd pick in a draft that is essentially a two man race!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.