Would It Be More Merciful To Trade Kobe Bryant?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ILikeLakers, Oct 29, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

D-Fish Man said:
    I 100% agree. I'm not even trying to knock Kobe here because I'm generally a defender, but he chose to accept $24 million per year and this is the obvious logical result. That contract, whether you think it was deserved (it was) or whether Kobe was entitled to it (he was), ensured we couldn't contend for the next two years.

And we would not have been this bad if not destroyed by the injury bug again. Kelly missing entire camp, pre-season and first 4 games, Swaggy out until December and Randle done for the year. Our 2nd team would have been able to really possibly be something with those guys available. Make up some deficits or hold onto small leads when we had them.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I will concede this right now: with the triangle, Melo and being in the Eastern Conference . . . I think Kobe would make the playoffs this year on the Knicks. They suck. But they are in the East which means if they play .500 ball they are in. Couple that with another good player that he respects and respects him and a system that optimizes his strengths, I have to think that he would do better than here. But I never want to see that and I do not think it will ever happen. Even then he wouldn't be on a contender IMO by any stretch of the imagination. But he would make the postseason.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it wouldn't matter anyway because the Knicks wouldn't be a contender. If he's going to up and leave at this point in his career, it'd only be for a ring. There's nowhere he can realistically get to that will trade us young pieces to build around. Chicago? They don't have the movable assets. Oklahoma City? Kobe wouldn't want to play in such a small market. The Clippers? Are the Clippers willing to part with Griffin, Jordan, or Paul or some combination of the three? That'd make the only sense financially and if they move those three are they still contenders? Etc etc.

There's just no realistic landing spots that make sense for all parties.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He's way better off exactly where he is. We have a lot of possibilities coming up next summer to make this a lot more viable.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I agree that he's sitting in a decent position, and it would be mutually advantageous for him and the Lakers if he stays put. We're going to build something; we have 78 games remaining, and we have young talent working around Kobe. Let's see how appealing it is by year's end.

D-Fish Man and lakerjones like this.
  6. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

Sure we could have been better but probably only marginally. Those guys are still developing role players. The real problem is that booz, Lin and Wes have been s***ty so far. For anything to really change, the starters have to actually play better than D leagers. Even if Lin were excellent and we were healthy, we were a longshot for the playoffs. So back to my original point about Kobe. No reason to feel bad for the guy. His contract ensured that this would be the situation.