Win Total Next Season.

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Lakers2015, May 30, 2016.

1. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

When I weigh actual reasons why we should be better:

#1 The firing of Byron and hiring of Walton -I will give this 10 wins. Luke is starting fresh.
    #2 Not having the distraction of the Kobe farewell tour as well as his play which hurt us last year despite what mentoring benefit our guys may have got out of it. But he did win a few for us (the last game was unarguably one of those). 5 wins
    #3 Our youth have a year under their belts but this is countered somewhat by having 2 rookies (Ingram, Zublak) who will probably get play and will likely struggle this year. We are actually younger than last year. Our average age at the season start was 26.72 and this year it will be 26.0 depending on who or if we sign a 15th spot. 2 wins.

That's 17 and double what we did last season. 34.

lakerjones and BalkansZubac like this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

83-0.

scnottaken and sirronstuff like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Screw it, like everyone else sight unseen pre- USA select team performances, camp and preseason games..... just on what my spidey sense observations tell me of each player we have now even though also pre - all of the above..... with eye tests including the Luke [​IMG] and Shaw and staff hires. So far the eyes have been right on. I nailed Luke being a star coach and recruiter and I nailed Zu. No surprises only happiness with our other players as the roster fills out. We are going to be BIG and mobile size wise baby. I reserve the right to bump upward after seeing the pre-season games. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    sirronstuff likes this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Still 50 wins baby

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I may get there. But damn there is still so much needs to be seen. I try to check myself with these things for being the homer I am. I feel I'm being reserved with my 44. But stay tuned down the road.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  6. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

40-44 wins.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

32-35 wins.

ElginTheGreat and gcclaker like this.
  8. BalkansZubac

BalkansZubac - Rookie -

Diggin this math, but would adjust the Kobe factor down to +1 wins from +5 and I'd give an extra +7 for the quality veterans on the team now versus last season (replace Hibbert/Young/MWP with Mozgov/Deng/Calderon). I'm betting 37 wins, which probably keeps us in the lottery with a 2-3% chance to keep our 1st round pick in '17:Mitch:

Alcindor likes this.
  9. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Fair enough, but no matter how we divvy it up I think 37 is starting to get too close to a playoff # for us (41 got you in last season). I think 34 is being optimistic and if we get anywhere near the upper 30's, Luke will be heralded as a genius. Mini's gonna be better as will a few other Western teams, wins are going to be hard to come by.

10. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    I'm going with 30 +/- 2.

Anything above 40 is definitely dilusional IMO. If we can double the W from last season (34), that would be a great development for this team. It is hard to believe that they can win more than twice as many games as last year, especially since we didn't get any game changing FA.

Cookie, lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

32 would be my number. it's easy to focus on the lakers' improvement, but you have to just look at the other squads in the west and ask yourself: on how many nights would vegas pick this team to win?

i expect fewer blowout losses, and a win total in the 30s would constitute progress. like kb, i can't see 40 wins. too many things would have to go insanely right.

12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Whatever it takes for the world finally to see how crappy of a coach Byron Scott is.
    [​IMG] :Scott:[​IMG]

Cookie likes this.
  13. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

35 wins.

Start off a bit slow with players adjusting, so i'll say first 41 games - 15-26.

Ingram picks it up second half of the season, guys become more familiar with each other - 20-21 to finish it off.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I can't see a scenario where we get up to 40 or more wins. I can't see it. I think last season we could have finished with about 5-10 more wins with better coaching which would put us at anywhere from 23-27 wins; meaning no more random rotations, better play calls, etc. just without Byron and with Luke. This being Luke's first season, I expect him to make some mistakes too so I won't predict the full 10 win difference. I'll say plus 5-7 wins or so.

I think having veterans like Mozgov, Deng, and Calderon instead of Bass, Hibbert, and Huertas is a big upgrade. I think that nets us probably 3-5 wins between them.

The kids will improve and we've improved with some new kids. It's just incredibly difficult to predict how much because they're all still so young, but I can see very clear growth from at least Russell and Nance Jr. since we just saw them last week. I do have faith Randle and Clarkson will also improve. I don't have a ton of faith Tarik will improve, but he'll be out there for us on occasion at least. Then of course Ingram and Zubac are improvements over Robert Sacre and Nick Young. I think this nets us another 5-7 wins.

That means (in my opinion of course) we'll end up anywhere from 30-36 wins. To get more than that would mean assuming greater growth from the coaching staff and young players than we have any reasonable right to expect. We all have to realize the young kids are 19-24 years old and our head coach is the equivalent in coaching years. There will be growing pains, there will be times when we struggle, and there will be times when we're frustrated but we'll have to shake it off and accept them as they come. If we win more than 36 games, I'll be ecstatic as it'll probably mean we're ready to attract some FAs and also the young kids are really coming through for us.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

34 wins.

I think the additions we made to the team along with upgrading the coaching staff gets us more wins and a much better product on the court. We should finally reverse the trend of getting worse each season and start seeing some real hope for the future. Anything above 30 wins shows some very real progress and will be welcome.

lakerjones likes this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Spot on.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I just want to double our win total. We were practically dead last in virtually every statistical category last season. If we can improve to somewhere in the bottom half, I think 34-37 sounds reasonable.

18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

There may be a couple things here that are vastly underrated.... Boron's ineptitude and the improvement to our roster.

I mean, Anthony Brown was a starter for 11 games :wasntme: Then there was Kelly, Sacre, and MWP who logged a total of 1,178 minutes. Add all those players up and their Win Shares is 0.3 :D Deng alone is responsible for 6.4 Win Shares. Calderon and Mozgov? Add another 7.7 Win Shares. These are quality NBA players replacing some hot garbage. (and frankly Kobe wasn't exactly helping either at -0.4 Win Shares.....)

I remember a few games we had MWP, Kelly, and Sacre out on the floor at the same time.... how are we supposed win games with that kind of garbage? There is too much evidence to suggest that Boron is responsible for at least 10 losses. Replace him with Luke and we're at 27 wins. At the 3 spot, Deng/Ingram is replacing a net-negative rotation of Brown/MWP/Kobe. Calderon is better than Huertas and Mozgov is better than Hibbert. Add another 5 wins there. And finally, as witnessed by the SL games, all of our hard-working kids are going to improve. And Luke will expedite their growth. Not hinder and confuse them like Boron did. That'll net us 8 games. So I predict 40 wins.

Lastly, I'll sprinkle in some fanboy optimism :rock:, along with a few "ICE IN MY VEINS" games by D'Angelo :cool:, and we're at 45 wins

19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I dig it. I don't agree with it, but I dig it. :D

I just can't get THAT optimistic after all we've been through the last three years. I'm excited and eager for this next chapter, but I don't expect it to be an easy one.

ElginTheGreat and tada like this.
  20. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    i think 34 is my number too. doubling our win total or going above would be amazing but to break the 30 mark is a good goal and definitely attainable. too many times in the last 2-3 years ive gotten psyched and thought that we would win more than we did. im going to be a bit more cautious this time around and hope that i am pleasantly surprised

ElginTheGreat likes this.