Which Rookie/new Addition Will Make The Most Impact?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Oct 1, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I know we all are excited to see what Randle does with this team, but there's a LOT of new faces here. Clarkson, Lin, Boozer, Davis, even Price and Ellington. While Randle is our most highly touted addition because of where we got him in the draft, he might not even be the new Laker that plays the most for us this year.

Randle figures to fight for minutes in a pretty crowded back court. He showed some incredible strength and surprising speed/quickness in the Summer League. He showed good poise and recognition at times too. However, he also showed that he can be out of control on occasion.

Lin might end up with the most opportunity with Nash's (and Kobe's) recent injury issues. He's been around the block and then around the other block and now finds himself back where he started: earning his playing time. How far will he get?

Clarkson might be the most intriguing prospect we have. Drafted late by the Wizards and traded to us, not many Laker fans new much about him. Since then he's blazed onto the scene and looks like he could be the steal of the draft. He's got speed, size, strength, and is hungry to learn. Will he find himself a niche on the team?

Or will it be one of the veterans who we've acquired? Will Boozer find new fire? Will Davis fulfill some of the great potential he's shown through his short career?

2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    LinSANITY

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'll go 55% Lin and 45% Randle.

4. therealdeal

Lin eh? Could definitely be true. I have a feeling Steve will miss half the season so Lin might just end up playing the most minutes of all the new additions.

5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Most impact this season, Lin for sure.

Most Impact on the Organization and for years to come? Randle, but I'm watching Clarkson really closely. He has something going for him.

Kobe2413 and trodgers like this.
  6. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

I'll say Lin for this year and Randle in the long run.

Even if Nash were healthy for the entire season, we're probably only looking at 20 mpg. I'm also hoping Kobe's minutes are limited to about 30. Anyway, Lin will have plenty of minutes to showcase himself. He's been in the NBA. He's already proven to be an effective player.

Randle can be something special, but because he's a rookie, I'm not expecting much from him right now. He still needs time to grow and develop. I also got the impression that Byron Scott favors veterans over rookies.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I agree. I think Byron actually loves the rookies, but he loves putting them in situations where they're behind veterans and forced to earn their spots. Honestly I love that attitude too and I support it 100% even if that means we see less of Randle and Clarkson than maybe we wanted to. By the time those guys DO get minutes it'll be because they absolutely earned it.

Even so, I kind of want to say Randle. Every time I hear this kid speak and watch him play I see something there. I think somewhere around January if he makes it through that Rookie Wall he'll hit a stride and really start to break out. I think he's going to want to make a bid for Rookie of the Year and somewhere near the 1/3 season mark he'll try to take over. There'll be a lot of bumps and bruises (literally and figuratively), but I think he'll end up being a difference maker for us even now.

trodgers and thkthebest like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

There are a lot of variables, specifically Nash's health and Randle's readiness for the pros. Safe bet is Lin, but I feel as though Randle could have the bigger year (riskier pick, but I like to gamble).

I think we have more minutes guaranteed in the backcourt than we do up front. Players have to earn their spot up front, starting spots are up for grabs. None of those guys are going to be stealing 35+ minutes a night from Randle and since we don't have a real center, minutes at both positions are there to be had. In the backcourt, Kobe is guaranteed minutes in the mid 30s, Young (when healthy) will be getting close to 30 mpg if he's going to be a 6th man candidate (like Scott envisions). If Nash is healthy, he's gobbling up two quarters worth of playing time. Until he gets hurt, Lin is a backup (can't be said of Randle's position). Also, Johnson actually has a defined role this season so that could limit the opportunities for Kobe or Young to slide up to SF.

If Randle can dodge the rookie wall, get in game condition, and soak up everything Kobe, Boozer, and Scott tell him then he'll be a strong candidate for ROY.

9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Randall. His combination of skill, quickness, ball/handling, and back to the basket skills will only continue to develop with more practice am time on the court. He's going to be something special.

10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Speaking of Randle putting in the time...

Kobe2413 and therealdeal like this.
  11. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Like most of you, I expect it will be Lin, but kind of hope Randle proves me wrong. Because that would mean he had a very good rookie season

12. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

It's Lin. Simply because I expect an All Star numbers out of him and don't expect Steve to play much.

13. Daniel Beltz

Daniel Beltz - Rookie -

Going to go out on a limb and say Boozer. If he can produce like he has been and also teach Randle the tips and tricks he has learned over the years, then Boozer will have a huge impact.

lakerswiz and therealdeal like this.
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Most likely Lin. Followed by Randle. Clarkson might surprise everyone.

15. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

Lin for sure. With Nash and his age, and limited minutes, Lin will take on the majority of the PG role when Nash sits out. I expect good things from Lin.

I expect this duo of Randle and Clarkson to do work. Maybe not a lot this season, but in the future. Theres something about Clarkson that seems like he could potentially be a steal in the draft. He's quick, long, explosive, and he can jump well.

I'll add another thing to this thread. The Laker that will contribute THE LEAST impact will be Boozer.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Lin. He's going to get a lot of playing time, I don't think Nash can last half the season. Offensively he can be out of control but he can play decent defense, something we really haven't had at the PG for some time.

Randle will probably take some time to make a big impact on the team. He's going to have to earn his minutes with a somewhat crowded front court. Also needs to adjust to the NBA grind, I think towards the end of the season he'll be playing more.

Boozer gives some leadership on the floor but he has really regressed as a player. Hopefully he can bring some downlow offense.
    Clarkson though, he's interesting. The nick young injury is going to be a good thing for him, give him more playing time. Hopefully his good play from summer league transfers over.

17. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

The Lin Show, based on experience and the likelihood he will receive PT at the PG position (and quite possibly SG, with Young out early). I don't see Byron playing the Rooks a whole lot until mid-season or after the All-Star break. Booz could fill that void left by Pau, or frustrate us just the same. I'm curious to see what Ed Davis can do, but I think Jordan will get the majority of minutes at C.

18. therealdeal

I'm diggin' the against the grain pick!

Daniel Beltz likes this.
  19. greckis99

greckis99 - Rookie -

Im thinking Davis ...defensively will close up that hole we had in the middle
    last yr....think we will be in for a nice surprise defensively this yr...

Mark and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

Just in the practice footage we've seen Davis's defense has looked rock solid.