What Are You Listening To? (warning: Nsfw Language)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Barnstable, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Here's something different from me, but it's a really good duet

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Hadn't heard this in a while

3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    They don't make rap like this anymore.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

We talked about Lil d***y I think a while back. As I recall @John3:16 said he thought this was the worst song? Might have been @Barnstable. It definitely fits this media better than the album.

5. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Not me. I didn't know much about him but I like him I also heard the song and the video yesterday and I like them.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I couldn't remember. The song is pretty old at this point.

I just like the production value that went into this video.

John3:16 likes this.
  7. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Kendrick has been released.

:Brows:

8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The twitter conspiracy is that he dropped this on Good Friday and dies at the beginning of the album, then will drop another on Easter Sunday. I pray these crazies are right.

Helljumper likes this.
  9. therealdeal

Listened through the album twice. It's my favorite Kendrick album by a good margin.

10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I've listened twice, too. I'm still partial to Good Kid Maad City. This album is really good though. I love the production and laidback feel.

11. therealdeal

I've got a soft spot for Section 80 and mad City is fantastic, but there was something so easy about listening to this album. He tells stories in both a way that gives you his life, but is still relatable. He is doing what nobody else out there can do right now.

Element right now is my early favorite, but I'm digging really the whole album. I'm not sure there's a song I don't like.

Helljumper likes this.
  12. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Damn is great. I feel like I'm gonna like it better than TPAB. Just personally prefer this sound over the jazzy stuff.

Regardless, his 3 LP's are all masterpieces, Section 80 and Overly Dedicated are great mixtapes, and he even dropped a throwaway project of demos that was better than a lot of rapper's polished albums.

At this point, Kendrick has cemented himself as one of the greatest of all time.

13. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I hated Pimp a Butterfly. Otherwise I agree. He's definitely top 10 and rising. I feel like he can do it all.

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The last song, Duckworth, is about a gang member who went into KFC to rob and kill the employees, but the worker gave him food out of respect and kindness. The gang member is his current manager and the KFC worker who gave him food was his dad.

15. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Although the internet may not be capable of handling back-to-back albums from Kendrick Lamar, an internet theory is hinting at the possibility of a second album from the Compton rhymer dropping this weekend.

Shortly after K-Dot dropped DAMN, a user by the name of n9y25ah7_ hopped on Reddit with an intriguing theory on the possibility of a second Kendrick album coming Easter Sunday. As time passes, more and more users are uncovering evidence in support of the hypothesis.

Some of the “proof” that has been put forward could be interpreted in different ways, so take this theory for what it is: a theory.

The original user took note of the fact that Kendrick “dies” at the start of DAMN and could be resurrected with an album released on Easter, the day Jesus was said to have returned from the dead.

“KENDRICK ‘DIES’ IN THIS ALBUM. HE GETS SHOT IN THE INTRO AND IT GOES FULL CIRCLE ON THE LAST TRACK. JESUS DIED AND WAS RESSURECTED 3 DAYS LATER ON EASTER. EASTER IS 3 DAYS FROM NOW. KENDRICK IS JESUS AND WILL BE RESURRECTED IN 3 DAYS WITH A NEW ALBUM,” n9y25ah7_ writes.

The Reddit user also referenced a tweet from TDE’s in-house producer, Sounwave, to craft another theory about a Sunday release. Sounwave posted a photo of Morpheus, Laurence Fishburne’s character from The Matrix, known for offering Keanu Reeve’s Neo a red pill and a blue pill.

There is the possibility that the red and blue signify two different albums from Kendrick. The album art for DAMN, as well as Kendrick’s new Spotify picture both back up that possibility.

“DAMN REPRESENTS THE RED PILL. THE BACKGROUND OF THE ALBUM ART IS RED BRICKS. TODAY KENDRICK CHANGED HIS SPOTIFY PICTURE TO A BACKGROUND WITH BLUE BRICKS. RED PILL AND BLUE PILL. CRIPS AND BLOODS,” n9y25ah7_ added.

In a separate thread, another reddit user touched on the possibility of Kendrick dropping an album about dying (DAMN) and another about living.

“Album starts with a story. At the end of the story on the first track he gets shot and dies. And the end of the last track on the album it rewinds and starts the story again. The second album will be the second telling of the story but instead of dying he will live,” reddit user, s***_Lord_Detective wrote.

In regards to a possible title for Kendrick’s rumored second album, Twitter user @sourbhris offered some insight.

Sunday night also corresponds with Kendrick’s headlining set for Day 3 of Coachella, which will be streamed live on YouTube, so if he does have a Part 2 hidden up his sleeve, he’ll have a massive live audience for it.

The idea of an artist dropping surprise albums back-to-back isn’t entirely far-fetched, given that Future released FUTURE and HNDRXX within a week of each other earlier this year. That said, rumors of a third album spread quickly before eventually being quashed by the man himself.

With Kendrick not keen on spoiling any surprises, fans will just have to wait until Sunday to see if the theories hold any weight.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.43069/title.could-kendrick-lamar-be-dropping-a-2nd-album-on-easter

16. Helljumper

Student
    Stop it man. I'm really struggling with trying to not get myself hyped up about these theories!

When Frank Ocean dropped the video album Endless, people were confused and there were reports that he'd be dropping another album a few days later (which eventually was Blonde). At the time, a lot of Frank fans were discrediting the rumors and saying that we should be happy with Endless. But I felt like Endless lacked polish and would have been a let down if it was the only album.

This is not like that. Damn is amazing. We definitely don't need another album because Damn already stands alone as a brilliant project.

But damn... if he did follow up with another project even half as good he's straight up spoiling us fans

17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  18. therealdeal

I seriously can't stop listening to this album. I'm obsessed.

I know LOVE is the poppiest song, but it's damn catchy.

Helljumper and John3:16 like this.
  19. Helljumper

Student
    Yeah I haven't been this captivated by an album in a long time. It's like I have a few lines from every song stuck in my head all day

Like you said, some of the poppy songs like Love and God are the kind of tracks that on paper I would've never thought I'd like but Kendrick does that sound better than other artists that are in those sub genres. Honestly might be my favorite tracks on the album. Simple lines like "If I didn't ride blade on curb would you still love me" and "Flex on swole like ahhhh haah" are just so catchy

John3:16 and therealdeal like this.
  20. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    DNA. and FEEL. are my two favorites, but really, I just have the album on repeat on home computer and car stereo.

The entire album is just so laid back. You can get into the lyrics and catch meanings and bigger picture stuff, or you can just relax to it. Not very often you can say that about an entire rap album. He really has a classic here.

therealdeal likes this.